At the moment I have a transparent screen-sticker on my 9900... because I don't want any scratches on my lovely phone.

I have a soft rubber case around the backside, so the "carbon fibre" battery cover is protected.
    (yes I know this prevents nfc from working, but the technology is not globally adapted anyway, so I'm not using it for the upcoming time)

- Now my question is;
    Is it safe for me to remove the transparent screen-sticker?
    I normally carry my phone in my jeans pocket, without anything else in that same pocket.
    The screen feels like solid glass, but I'm not sure if it's reasonably protected against scratches?
    (I always take care of where I leave my phone, when it's on the table... having nothing on top of the phone)

Of course to be absolutely sure my screen is protected well, it's better to leave the sticker on... but I hate the fact that there always seems to be air underneath, so now there are a few air-bubbles here and there.

----------------------
    Alternatively I could use the pouch, although I think that would definitely scratch the carbon-fibre on the back?
    08-27-11 04:44 AM
    The screen on the Bold 9900 is made of glass. Its gonna be very hard for it to get scratched.

That being said......one of the first things I did when I got mine was to go out and buy a screen protector. I believe in doing as much as possible to keep my new Blackberry as perfect as I can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    funnykindel likes this.
    08-27-11 05:08 AM
    We're on the same boat than...
    Do you have problems with air-bubbles as well?
    08-27-11 05:11 AM
    Alternatively I could use the pouch, although I think that would definitely scratch the carbon-fibre on the back?
    what kind of pouch are you using? i use the pouch that came in the box, and no scratch whatsoever, my little complain would only be that it keeps pressing my cam/conv key so i had to assign it to something else.
    08-27-11 05:12 AM
    I also got the pouch, that came with the box...
    Also I remember my old 9780 pouch... after some while, the inside clothing of the pouch (the longest of the 2 sides) came loose.
    And sometimes the 9780 phone got a little "stuck" in the pouch, so when the phone rang, I sometimes couldn't get it out of the pouch fast enough.

- I don't know if these pouch issues also occur with the 9900?
    (pouch wear where the inside comes loose / grip)
    Last edited by Dx3me; 08-27-11 at 05:27 AM.
    08-27-11 05:21 AM
    I want a privacy screen to keep creepers off my back but would this decrease my touchscreen's functionality?

08-27-11 05:51 AM
    Mine stays in my pocket without a screen protector. I'm not worried.

Mines only scratched on the back and on the shiney parts of the bezel.

I hate protectors, they make the screen less smooth and less responsive for me

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-27-11 05:58 AM
    I want a privacy screen to keep creepers off my back but would this decrease my touchscreen's functionality?

I tried a privacy screen and while it didn't reduce the sensitivity of the touch screen, it was very dark and hard to see in dim conditions. Even with the backlight at 100%. I've swapped out for a ZAGG clear screen protector and love it.
    08-27-11 07:05 AM
    I tried a privacy screen and while it didn't reduce the sensitivity of the touch screen, it was very dark and hard to see in dim conditions. Even with the backlight at 100%. I've swapped out for a ZAGG clear screen protector and love it.
    Yes! Been with ZAGG since nextel 9150, when I get my 9930 I'll be rockin' ZAGG.
    08-27-11 07:53 AM
    I always have mine in my pocket when I got out without a screen protector etc.
    No scratches, not even on the back or the sides
    I now and again use the holster it came with but it bulks my pockets too much, so I mainly use it when it's in my bag.
    08-27-11 08:00 AM
    At the moment I have a transparent screen-sticker on my 9900... because I don't want any scratches on my lovely phone.

I have a soft rubber case around the backside, so the "carbon fibre" battery cover is protected.
    (yes I know this prevents nfc from working, but the technology is not globally adapted anyway, so I'm not using it for the upcoming time)
    No, it will not block your NFC signal.

- Now my question is;
    Is it safe for me to remove the transparent screen-sticker?
    I normally carry my phone in my jeans pocket, without anything else in that same pocket.
    The screen feels like solid glass, but I'm not sure if it's reasonably protected against scratches?
    (I always take care of where I leave my phone, when it's on the table... having nothing on top of the phone)
    There are those who swear by the screen protector, and others who do not like it on their phones. If you insist on putting a berry in your pocket, without any type of protection, then imo, you are inviting trouble.

Of course to be absolutely sure my screen is protected well, it's better to leave the sticker on... but I hate the fact that there always seems to be air underneath, so now there are a few air-bubbles here and there.
    Before applying the screen protector, you can use a very very very very small amount of dishsoap on the screen, apply the protector, and use a playing card, or an access card/business card to smooth out the bubbles.

----------------------
    While some say that the back is a scratch magnet, I don't think the pouch or holster scratches the back of the 9900/9930.
    08-27-11 08:12 AM
    just buy a decent screen protector and you shouldnt get any bubble use a peice of card or a credit card when putting it on, i purchased the otterbox commuter case for mine and it came with a free screen protector ive managed to get that on with only one tiny bubble in the corner but its hardly noticable and when the screen is lit you cant notice it at all. only thing i dont like about the otterbox commuter is that the silicon skin does attract dust. which is pretty annoying. but i think the protection out weighs that factor.
    08-27-11 09:14 AM
    Ok, I have just ordered myself a Zagg... never heard of it before actually, but on your advise I made the decission.
    (hope it's easy to install, and leaves no bubbles)
    08-27-11 09:37 AM
    Ok, I have just ordered myself a Zagg... never heard of it before actually, but on your advise I made the decission.
    (hope it's easy to install, and leaves no bubbles)
    It is easy. Make sure your device is off with the battery out, and your hands are clean. Be patient. Follow the instructions.
    08-27-11 11:32 AM
    I have had mine for about two weeks now, and don't have ANY screen protector on it. I keep it in my pocket all the time and so far (knock on wood) there is no scratches at all. ... But i am also very careful not to put anything else in the same pocket...
    gtessier likes this.
    08-27-11 11:35 AM
    I had a Zagg on my 9000 and didn't like the thick orange peel finish. While it protected great, it also had some drag when I would slide my finger across the surface - something that may not be so good on a touch screen phone.

I have used some good quality clear plastic protectors on the iPhones and Blackberrys that I have serviced. When applied properly, you almost dont know they are there. In fact, the one on my 9780 cost about $2.00 (my cost) and the edge of the plastic was where the LCD beveled. I hardly knew it was there.

Like all of you, I am also nervous about scratching the screen. I will be out looking for a screen protector today and even if I have to pay retail for it, it will be better than having to wait for one in the mail. I also need the BB OEM pouch without the belt clip as that was what I used on both the 9000 and 9780 and preferred it.
    08-27-11 11:44 AM
    It is easy. Make sure your device is off with the battery out, and your hands are clean. Be patient. Follow the instructions.
    Can you provide me with a link please? I, also, would like try this zagg screen protector. I tried looking in the crackberry store and ebay and the searches returned nothing. I'm probably searching for the wrong thing or have a spelling error somewhere.
    08-27-11 11:48 AM
    zagg.com, but be real everybody, I'm a mechanical contractor and i work with metals, solvents, glues, pipe dopes, acid fluxes, all sorts of nasty **** and I have had BB's since the pagers in 96 through 6750, 7250, 8830, 9630, 9650, PB and now a 9930. The only phone that ever scratched was the 8830 and i hit it with a drill. Little scratch, the Zagg shield hid it but it turns yellow and has an orange peel finish and your fingers will feel sticky to the screen. Leave it bare the way its meant to be. If you do something so bad to scratch it you'd probably have ruined the phone. Plus, the paint on the keys will wear off before anything else. I change the keypad on my phones every six months cause there's nothing left on it.
    siopow likes this.
    08-27-11 12:06 PM
    08-27-11 02:25 PM
    08-27-11 02:28 PM
    We're on the same boat than...
    Do you have problems with air-bubbles as well?
    I bought my screen protector a day after I got my bold. I bought it for $6, and they installed it on my screen for me. The lady there did a perfect job, no bubbles. It's perfect.
    08-27-11 02:30 PM
    I've been using Besk Skins Ever for my last few BBs and love them. People are surprised when I point out the screen protector/body skins on my devices, they are hard to notice.

I used one with my Torch and noticed no issues with the touchscreen.

I too keep my device in my pocket, and the screen protectors/body skins are a nice piece of mind.

The order for my 9900 skin just shipped the other day, hoping to get it soon!
    08-27-11 02:34 PM
    i think i'm gonna order from best skins too. thanks guys
    08-27-11 03:30 PM
    I'm used my old Tour for two years without a screen protector, and I REALLY started to not give a hoot about it for the last half year (in the pocket with keys, dropping, throwing(!) and other stupid stuff), and the screen has only very minor scratches which are totally invisible when the phone is on, and practically unnoticeable when off. And that was a plastic screen, not even glass.
    The fact this is glass is glass makes me not worry too much about the screen. For now I'm keeping it in the holdster, but after the 'newness' wears off, it's getting the 'beater phone treatment and I expect it take what I dish out.

BTW, such a solid device, I love it. Getting only positive impressions from others, even with iPhones. I like the battery life, and the screen is gorgeous, if a little small (for a touchscreen).
    Last edited by nikolas4129; 08-27-11 at 05:56 PM.
    08-27-11 05:28 PM
    The protector I got on mine is made by "Tru". I found it at Future Shop. It did cost more $20 for 2 in the pack but its thick and went on without a single mark or bubble. It's an anti-glare style so it's not as shiny but it looks like it will protect very well. I don't like the idea of using liquids to put one on (no water getting on my new baby). I do like the Otter Box ones too. I've had them before and they've saved a couple of screens on nasty drops. I've put a lot of screen protectors on over time and if you wipe the screen well and take your time you'll be happy with the results.
    08-27-11 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD