The Bold 9900 ships with about 200MG of storage.
    Right now I have the basic apps installed on my bold. And I'm scared to download any because of the black clock. I like a fast device
    Will the low memory be a pain and will I see the clock or can the processor handle it?

I only have
    BBM Music
    BlackBerry Bridge
    BlackBerry Messenger
    BlackBerry Podcasts
    BlackBerry Protect
    Facebook
    & Twitter

And I have 195.1 MG available
    I want a fast device
    02-26-12 11:35 PM
    As long as you reboot after every app you install you will never see a black clock. Install as many apps as you want. This isn't your grandfathers berry.

BlackBerry PlayBook® 2.0 using Tapatalk™
    02-26-12 11:51 PM
    Just don't go downloading every free game they have available in the App World.. Some of them are very poorly written, and claim compatibility even though they were written for older versions, and will get you the black clock.
    02-26-12 11:58 PM
    All Bold 99xx comes with 512 MB not 200 MB for apps. I have about ten apps in addition to the RIM apps and I only have half full of the memory. To me these apps are enough and I am sure you will find out that most of the apps are useless.

I won't worry too much about app storage.
    02-27-12 12:04 AM
    All Bold 99xx comes with 512 MB not 200 MB for apps. I have about ten apps in addition to the RIM apps and I only have half full of the memory. To me these apps are enough and I am sure you will find out that most of the apps are useless.

I won't worry too much about app storage.
    While I wouldn't and don't worry about app storage space, the 99xx phones come with 768MB of RAM for OS and apps. At the end of the day, I have as much free RAM on my 9930 as I had with my 9650 -- roughly 200MB after loading my apps. There has been talk here in the forums that this is because OS7 is massive. Memory costs the manufacturer money, and you can RIM put in additional memory for a reason. The improved "liquid graphics" capability takes additional space, as do the new and improved apps and features.
    02-27-12 12:55 AM
    Can we use a software like BBBoss to reduce the size that on-board/core apps take, or even remove a few that we never need? I was able to save quite a bit on my 9700 by using them and removing help files, other languages, etc..
    02-27-12 01:01 AM
    My Bold is loaded with apps and it doesn't miss a beat. Very rarely do I get the hourglass.

I do use battery ex often to clear the ram, and fixmo tools as well.
    don't worry about it.

Pulled from my brain via my 9900 keyboard.
    02-27-12 01:01 AM
    Can we use a software like BBBoss to reduce the size that on-board/core apps take, or even remove a few that we never need? I was able to save quite a bit on my 9700 by using them and removing help files, other languages, etc..
    Yes, you can shrink the OS. The latest tools will work with OS7.1. I shrink my OS, but that's more out of habit than anything else. It's not necessary with these 99xx devices -- they have plenty of RAM. I normally shrink out the help and language files, the *&#%@! startup video, the fonts and games, and all of the social apps except for BBM. When all is said and done, I'm not sure just how much RAM I clear, but I don't think that it's a lot.

There has been some discussion that removing some of the apps or "extra" COD files can lead to performance issues in that some apps look for code that is embedded in the CODs for another app or library. The point is to be careful here. Read up on 7.x over in the leaked OS and hybrid OS forums before you start. It was all pretty well cut and dried with OS5, and got a bit trickier with OS6. With OS7, you don't often know where an app is going to look for an additional bit of code. If you are not entirely confident that you can work through whatever issue you create, let somebody else make the mistake first.
    02-27-12 01:16 AM
    Thanks underway. I guess 7.1 is too new to have reports on results of shrinking it. I don't assume anything will have a code looking for videos or social apps, but with most 3rd party bloatware, it takes one service book or refresh from carrier before they re-appear on your home screen. With AT&T, I kept removing navigator and enabling BB Maps, and they kept bringing navigator back, and disabling BB Maps. I gave up and used Google Maps..

Stuff like MobiTV, MySpace, Navigator, AT&T Music and bunch of other crap-ware or at least links to those crapware keep re-appearing on home screen, so I ended up creating a folder, tossing them all in there and hiding the folder. I am not sure which apps Verizon's 9930 comes with, and which ones can be removed, but I am sure it would also help ease the OP's worries if he has more available space.
    02-27-12 01:28 AM
    I've got about 125MB left and my phone is lightening fast still.
    02-27-12 03:31 AM
    I've got about 125MB left and my phone is lightening fast still.
    I have 131.40MB left and it runs like butter I love my Bold 9900.
    It helps that I custom installed the OS 7.1.0.267 (wish everyone would do that).

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook OS2.0 via Tapatalk Pro
    02-27-12 03:49 AM
    My 9850 boots clean to 130 mb with all apps installed. After a couple if days it ends up at about 90 mb. I only notice very slight degradation of speed from clean boot to that point.

I have to agree with another poster. Do not upgrade more than one app without a fresh reboot each time. I have messed up more than one device that way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 04:30 AM
    I use 7.1.0.267 and always reboot after installing, updating or deleting an app. I clear event logs and use memory cleaner each day too
    02-27-12 04:39 AM
    I have 144.7 MB left of mine with 48 apps installed not including the pre-loaded ones.
    02-27-12 07:39 AM
    While I wouldn't and don't worry about app storage space, the 99xx phones come with 768MB of RAM for OS and apps. At the end of the day, I have as much free RAM on my 9930 as I had with my 9650 -- roughly 200MB after loading my apps. There has been talk here in the forums that this is because OS7 is massive. Memory costs the manufacturer money, and you can RIM put in additional memory for a reason. The improved "liquid graphics" capability takes additional space, as do the new and improved apps and features.
    Out of 768 MB of RAM, the system information for apps reads this 211.8 MB of 512 MB free. I think this is because some of the memory is allocated to basic functions like OS commands. If you go to My World on App World and press BB button and choose Show Application Storage, it is listed as 512 MB.

This is getting confusing now....
    02-27-12 07:58 AM
    How long (how much) do you all keep e-mails, and what kind of performance difference have you seen in keeping older e-mails? Surely it depends on how many e-mails you are receiving per day. But this could be a huge factor in performance.
    02-27-12 12:03 PM
    I have mine set to Forever, but I clear them out manually. Just recently I cleared out a ton from I think all the way back from Dec. I don't get as many freezes as I did Wednesday.
    03-03-12 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD