Friends of mine kept telling me that my new bold is the same old blackberry. I tell them in a way "yes" and its what I want. People keep comparing touch screen devices to my bold thinking it should be the same but its not!

I left android for blackberry because I need a business device with a physical keyboard not a all around play device. If I didn't use my phone for business then yes android or apple would be my choice.
    In my opinion all devices have their own specific uses and fans that use the device in their own way. I didn't switch for the latest and greatest but for what I need!

PS. I still own a Samsung Galaxy Tab.
    flash24 and Tinyk like this.
    09-23-11 06:23 AM
    Yes.

I don't know what to say. D:

I guess it would be like someone with a MacBook upgrading to a MacBook Pro right?
    no new features, but worth 100 dollars more, faster, sleeker and sexier.
    even PC owners do the same.

I don't get why people dont understand.
    09-23-11 06:26 AM
    I'm sure somebody out there still uses and love symbian, and will probably defend it to the very last day. I'm not saying blackberry is as bad as symbian devices, but if your world doesn't revolve around email and enterprise, the avg person would find other platform more feature rich. It's just sad to see bb fanboy defending the platform by saying "who the **** wants to play angry birds" To be honest, I don't play it either, BUT I should be the one who decides not to install it on my phone, not because it's not available. However, I really do like blackberry, which is why I'm still here. I really do hope QNX fixes the issue with no apps and stuff, or else QNX will be the next symbian.
    09-23-11 06:51 AM
    I'm wondering whether or not to make the switch from my Bold 9650. Is the touch screen the only real new feature? If so, I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason. I am somewhat intrigued by the 7 operating system, but again, is it worth spending the two bills on?
    Also, does anyone know if it will work with the charging pods I have for my current 9650?
    Looking for some opinions here.
    09-23-11 07:14 AM
    Agreed.

This device is the best combo I have always wanted. You take the past 5 Blackberry's and combine all the top features and then some.

I need to be able to have a solid device and with that, a solid line of communication. The 9930 does this and then some.

@Hammerhead1 No your charging pod will not fit on the 9900/9930. They are setup differently on the charging ports, as well as the size of both devices, it would not fit.
    09-23-11 07:22 AM
    Exact same reason why I came back to Blackberry.
    09-23-11 07:26 AM
    I'm wondering whether or not to make the switch from my Bold 9650. Is the touch screen the only real new feature? If so, I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason. I am somewhat intrigued by the 7 operating system, but again, is it worth spending the two bills on?
    Also, does anyone know if it will work with the charging pods I have for my current 9650?
    Looking for some opinions here.
    It is a huge upgrade. The keyboard and the speed of the device alone are worth the upgrade as far as I am concerned.

You charging pods will not work.
    09-23-11 07:54 AM
    Its much faster to do the things that I want on the 9930 than it was on my EVO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-11 07:58 AM
    Its much faster to do the things that I want on the 9930 than it was on my EVO.

This is my exact reason I left my Incredible 2 behind. There is nothing wrong with it just that the bold is better for my needs. I don't like to bash other devices all though I have done in the past. We all have different needs and likes and for me the bold is it!
    09-23-11 08:24 AM
    Not to sound cliche, but the 9930 is light years ahead of past bb's. It just is...
    09-23-11 09:00 AM
    I just received a 9930 for my birthday and love it coming from the 9650. The keyboard is so much better, thinner, has a better feel along with the touch screen and faster OS. Loving it so far.
    09-23-11 09:11 AM
    Not to sound cliche, but the 9930 is light years ahead of past bb's. It just is...
    The problem with that is how far behind it is with current Android devices and the iPhone......and I mean that in a nice way, not a bashing way.

I believe that the new OS (QNX) will help in that matter, but RIM still needs to move the needle far faster and more effectively than they are doing.

I *want* to love this phone, I really do.
    09-23-11 09:22 AM
    The problem with that is how far behind it is with current Android devices and the iPhone......and I mean that in a nice way, not a bashing way.
    Again it comes down to what you need from a device.........
    09-23-11 09:30 AM
    Again it comes down to what you need from a device.........
    Correct.

I was a looooong time BlackBerry user and up until recently would not even look at anything else.

My first Android was a very fast (and worthless) attempt. Samsung Behold II. Horrible phone with a beautiful AMOLED display and a great camera. It went back in thirty days. Couldn't even come close to any BlackBerry.

Months later the Nexus One came out and that was a great phone, but Android still wasn't mature enough and the keyboards weren't up to par at all. Still, something about the customization (I am not a gamer nor do I watch movies on my phone often enough) intrigued me. But in the end, I sold it and went back to BlackBerry.

I then tried a Captivate under the promise of all things being fixed. Worst. Android. Ever (except for the display). Back to BlackBerry.

What kept making me switch more than anything was the size of the display. When reading things, it was (and still is) so much nicer to have a larger screen to see things. Having touch also became intuitive.

It's funny, when the Torch came out, my wife kept telling me 'That's going to be your phone, isn't it?' I kept telling her no, the display is subpar and BlackBerry hasn't figured out how to work touch into devices yet....way behind.

Still, after all that, when I returned the Captivate, I got the Torch.

And I loved it.

And hated it.

Worst. Keyboard. Ever. for a keyboard-variant BlackBerry; but the size of the screen (even with it's negatives) is what drew me in. I tried to use a non-touch screen and it simply was, old, antoquated, like using rabbit ears for TV.

I stuck with it for quite some time.

Then the problems came. Spinning clock. Apps not being compatible, and I became frustrated again. I thought to myself 'It is going to work itself out...' but in the end, it didn't.

So I went back to Android.

To me, the keyboard is what makes the phone a great communicator. That's where BlackBerry has always won me over....excellent communication device because the keyboard is great.

Then I found SwiftKey X keyboard on the Android. Not the Beta version, the final build.

I will never compare a BlackBerry keyboard to an Android keyboard again. Not in it's current state. The SwiftKey X is so superior to the BlackBerry keyboard - it's not even close. It predicts words for me (it actually reads my emails, texts, Facebook posts, Tweets, etcetera). Anytime I use it, it remembers my word choices and phrasing. I don't have to type full words out anymore - it simply knows what I am going to type. This keyboard is simply the most superior keyboard I have ever used, and for me, a BlackBerry keyboard enthusiast and the MAIN reason I stuck with BlackBerry, is now a non-issue. Nothing comes close to that.

I miss the LED. but my Inspire has one (albeit a pathetic attempt at one) but have come to see that as useful to a point....when I get a message, my phone buzzes, I check it, done - the little LED caused me more grief than it spared me. I have profiles on my Inspire that rival my BlackBerry because there is a fantastic app for that. It's easier to use and switch profiles as compared to the BlackBerry and when I 'accidentally' hit the volume bar, I have ten seconds to 'memorize' that setting, too. Really nice and a non-issue now (one of the other reasons I used and preferred BlackBerry).

On top of that, I find that the email client (Gmail) works for me. This is where preference comes in, but I find that it works. Search is excellent. Voice control is excellent. Having Flash if I want it is excellent. Google Apps are excellent. App selection is excellent.

The biggest draw to me is also having a touch screen.

I knw the Bold 99xx has it, and it is wonderful. I used one and I KNOW how awesome it is.

But it's freaking tiny.

I HATE saying that I am probably not going to use a BlackBerry again, I really do, they are excellent.

Battery life, by the way, I get fairly good battery life....about the same as the new Bold 99xx....so that's also a non-issue.

I believe I will get bashed here...please don't do that. I am sharing my opinion for you and if you like it, that's fine. If not, that's ok, too. I will still preach to the heavens the benefits of BlackBerry because I believe it is a great tool....but for me, the switch was made.

I wish webOS were still viable....because that OS is the most elegant thing I have ever seen. Hopefully that can come into existence again with great hardware.....I believe that QNX will probably be the closest thing to it (using a PlayBook tells me that) and if that becomes the experience on a BlackBerry, then maybe I will come back.

I hope you all appreciate this rather long post and no one gets upset. Just sharing.

Have a great day and be open to change with an OS. Once I took off the blinders and really allowed myself to experience everything......it was a natural and easy decision.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 09-23-11 at 10:01 AM.
    09-23-11 09:55 AM
    Why does everyone think QNX will save blackberry? By the time that comes out andriod and iphones will have different OS's with better features. So its still going to be behind apple and andriod....a keyboard and email can only get you so far

09-23-11 03:10 PM
    Yeah well its the old blackberry and we love it ..do you think if I have an iphone I would be replaying to this post ? **** no but the blackberry makes typing fun when most of us agree that typing is boring in general. That's point 1. Point 2 is the email. When I send an email to my self (for a test ) I get it on my blackberry after 6 secound really? Yes. Wht about iphone ? 15 min sometimes it don't work u have to open the email app to get it ? Apps ? Blackberry has enough apps for most of wht I need .. ( Flashlight ,Quicklunch oh yes ) ) Games ? Who need them we are not 16 anymore. Get ur self psp or xbox for god sake ... Blackberry is love .. iphone is great phone for you if you are 13 - 23. I am 26 I got ppl to call daily. And text and be in touch hour by hour ,, I had an iphone for 3 week. I couldn't stand it after the 3d week .. Sold it to teenagers loollll blackberry take or leave it .... But we are talking about luv .... ; p

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-23-11 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD