This morning while charging, started smoking from the battery terminals, after unpluging it, reboot it itself. Went to the store, got it replaced and on my way to the car notice that the sleep button didn't work. Went back in, replaced again and this one the back (or scape key) and the end call button didn't work . That tells me that they might as well be refurbished or returned phones on brand new box, 3 in a row?
    Returned it for a refund and back to my old backup phone, HTC inspire 4G.
    Not sure I can trust their quality control anymore, not sure I'll search for another AT&T store with the 9900 in stock, wouldn't order it online, want to see it and touch it before paying, I'll give it a try this weekend again on another corporate AT&T store.
    I won't be going away, still stopping by every so often.
    02-16-12 03:27 PM
    1.) were you using the right charger?

2.) install the new leaked OS's from today
    02-16-12 03:29 PM
    Yes dsquared2, the charger from the box. I did not try to install any of the leaks, while all of this was happening I was in the store, no chance of installing anything. I forgot to mention that after the second replacement, they had no more in stock, that's when I ask for a refund. Going out this weekend to locate one, I really like the phone but quality has been a bad image embedded in my mind now. Wish me luck .
    02-16-12 03:36 PM
    Yes dsquared2, the charger from the box. I did not try to install any of the leaks, while all of this was happening I was in the store, no chance of installing anything. I forgot to mention that after the second replacement, they had no more in stock, that's when I ask for a refund. Going out this weekend to locate one, I really like the phone but quality has been a bad image embedded in my mind now. Wish me luck .
    I just put the new leak on my 9930, and it's even better than it already was. Sorry you had a one in a million experience there
    02-16-12 03:39 PM
    I just put the new leak on my 9930, and it's even better than it already was. Sorry you had a one in a million experience there
    I know, bad day I guess. Do you mind posting the link for today's link in case I find one worth buying?
    02-16-12 03:44 PM
    I know, bad day I guess. Do you mind posting the link for today's link in case I find one worth buying?
    JumboFiles.com - Dedicated Hosting
    02-16-12 03:47 PM
    Thanks! Downloading now just in case.
    02-16-12 04:00 PM
    Jeez what are the odd... I downloaded the DM 7 and when I backed up my girlfriends 9900 the 7.1 update was found, he phone is much more better know. Hopefully that should do it for you when you et your next 9900.

Also if you have Tmo they are having there open enrollment for Insurance...I picked up a plan and bought my girl's 9900 off of CL, so if anything happens to her 9900 shes covered.
    02-16-12 07:23 PM
    After locating another 9900 from a kiosk on the mall, AT&T couldn't get one in time, had it delivered overnight and right away loaded 7.1.0267 leak, smoother, NFC, power saving and mobile hotspot, liking it .
    Played with it constantly for about 5 hours after charging it to 100%, 76% left, but will report back in a couple of days of putting it to the test.
    One detail I noticed with 7.1, the battery took a lot longer to charge compared to 7.0, is there a relationship between charging time and how long it last? I'm guessing here that the longer it takes to charge the longer it last, based on one day use with 7.1.
    02-19-12 07:49 AM
    After locating another 9900 from a kiosk on the mall, AT&T couldn't get one in time, had it delivered overnight and right away loaded 7.1.0267 leak, smoother, NFC, power saving and mobile hotspot, liking it .
    Played with it constantly for about 5 hours after charging it to 100%, 76% left, but will report back in a couple of days of putting it to the test.
    One detail I noticed with 7.1, the battery took a lot longer to charge compared to 7.0, is there a relationship between charging time and how long it last? I'm guessing here that the longer it takes to charge the longer it last, based on one day use with 7.1.
    That might just be the first-time charge. I've been running 7.1 for a few weeks now and I didn't notice any difference in charging time from 7.0 ... although admittedly I usually plug it in at the end of the night and leave it there until morning. I do remember the first charge after installing .205 that it only charged to 90%, even after being plugged in all night; but after that it was fine. The first few charge cycles with a newly installed OS are usually erratic. Give it a few days, and be sure to reboot it at least twice.

Glad you finally got a solid device. Good luck!
    02-19-12 08:37 AM
    Sorry to hear of your issues. But at least for you it was faster than my trials. I'm on my 3rd in 6 months, however I keep looking at gf's 4s and evrything else out there and I know I wouldn't be happy anywhere else. I told Vz tech support to just keep em comin! He laughed and apologized. Every replacement I have gotten has been very high quality. On the positive side I am getting so good at setting everything back up its a no brainer. The only downside to all of this is being without a BB for 24 hrs to 3 days if it bricks on a weekend. The other irritation is packing the gf's Envy around till the replacement arrives. I figure eventually I will hit paydirt and be able to keep one till BB10 comes out!
    02-19-12 12:01 PM
    No, you DID NOT have a "one in a million experience". I am on my fourth phone and I had to exchange my phone from Telus THREE times during the first week. I was sooo mad when Telus told me that they opened an investigation against me and my dad (my dad is the holder of the account) because they thought I was doing something wrong.

I had to yell at them after they took my credit card info and driver's license data. RIM is nothing like Google or Apple. Not only they don't stand behind their bad phones, but also if you don't threaten them with legal actions (I talked to my university legal services), I end up getting charged $500+ for the fourth phone they gave me.

I know most of us hate Apple. The truth is my brother's iPhone broke after few months of getting it. Apple Canada told BestBuy Mobile to replace it with a new one in ONE 10 min phone call. Now that's customer service. I wish Apple can come up with a physical keyboard phone so I am gone from BB for good.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 02-19-12 at 12:57 PM.
    02-19-12 12:54 PM
    The build quality issues on 9900/9930 is well known in my country.
    The sad thing is that we must pay first before we can open the box here.
    And if the phone have some defect, the store won't replace it, instead we had to go to blackberry service centre, and the sad thing is that it tooks 1-2 weeks to "proccess" the replacement.

By the way you are not alone.
    I'm on my fifth (black 9900)

Tommorow I want to buy the white one and I really hope, it turn out to be well made, but crossing my finger.

This black one of mine have no problem, except the trackpad like to move by its own, and its kinda annoying when I need to use the phone to do bussiness.
    02-19-12 01:01 PM
    No, you DID NOT have a "one in a million experience". I am on my fourth phone and I had to exchange my phone from Telus THREE times during the first week. I was sooo mad when Telus told me that they opened an investigation against me and my dad (my dad is the holder of the account) because they thought I was doing something wrong.

I had to yell at them after they took my credit card info and driver's license data. RIM is nothing like Google or Apple. Not only they don't stand behind their bad phones, but also if you don't threaten them with legal actions (I talked to my university legal services), I end up getting charged $500+ for the fourth phone they gave me.

I know most of us hate Apple. The truth is my brother's iPhone broke after few months of getting it. Apple Canada told BestBuy Mobile to replace it with a new one in ONE 10 min phone call. Now that's customer service. I wish Apple can come up with a physical keyboard phone so I am gone from BB for good.
    Sounds great. Just so you know, I had 1 Storm 9530 for a 1 year upgrade period, 1 Storm 9550 for a 2 year upgrade period, and i'm currently on my 1 Bold 9930 for my current upgrade period.

My dad had 1 Curve world edition for 3 years, is on his 1 BB Tour currently for the past 2 years, considering the 9930 soon.

My grandpa had 1 9530 for 3 years and is currently on 1 9930 for the current upgrade period.

Just for kickers, my dad still has a BB 7280 that works amazing. I love that side track scroller.

You're forgetting the key idea of support forums, everyone comes to post about problems. Very few come to post about positive experiences. IF I came in here knowing nothing about any cellphones, I probably would strike out here, at android central, tipb, etc because everyone posts about problems way more often that things working perfectly.
    sleepngbear and Legal Eagle like this.
    02-20-12 01:05 PM
    @mss-ca enjoy your new smartphone when you do get it.

PS. Windmobile hasn't had any bricked unit issues yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    02-20-12 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD