There doesn't seem to be a common consensus as to the root cause of the seemingly random bricking issues people have been experiencing. From the most recent CB podcast, it's clear that even the CB team doesn't know what's going on with it.

Now I'm officially afraid to a) install new software, b) install a new OS and c) let my battery drop below 10%.

Although I haven't personally encountered the issue...I'm now actually SCARED of my 9900 randomely dying on me and that's just plain out stupid worry to have.

So...I was wondering if we can put our minds together and do our own root cause analysis...

Can those who have encountered the issue please speak out and describe....
    1) what happened leading up to the "bricking event" (for example installed new OS, streaming radio, let battery drain, installed OS6 app, device switch...etc),
    2) the bricking event you encountered (i.e. stuck 2/3 in the loading screen or JVM 517 error code)
    3) whether you were able to fix it?

Thanks!
    11-05-11 04:22 PM
    Definitely interested in understanding the causes of this issue. Just listened to the CrackBerry podcast and Kevin, Shao and Bla1ze's 9900 all bricked. Bla1ze couldn't get an OS to reload on it. Strange indeed.
    11-05-11 04:32 PM
    1) Battery died, plugged it in to charge and next I looked it was just rebooting over and over.

2) Won't fully boot., goes through progress bar, then to a black screen, shows small blue clock.. reboots. (Device would not stay connected to USB long enough to reload OS, just rebooted over and and over and over)

3) Nope - Got a new one sent from Rogers.
    11-05-11 04:40 PM
    1) Battery died, plugged it in to charge and next I looked it was just rebooting over and over.
    Did the phone actually shut off when it died? I've had mine shut the radios off and didn't have any issues but now I'm thinking I should kill the battery just to see if I can replicate the brick conditions before the phone is out of its replacement period.
    11-05-11 05:02 PM

2) Won't fully boot., goes through progress bar, then to a black screen, shows small blue clock.. reboots. (Device would not stay connected to USB long enough to reload OS, just rebooted over and and over and over)

3) Nope - Got a new one sent from Rogers.
    For #3, how'd you get a new one past the 14 day policy?
    11-05-11 06:32 PM

I'm sure he had insurance and had a refurbed unit sent to him.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-05-11 09:39 PM
    They sent him a new device because he's the infamous Bla1ze.
    11-05-11 09:41 PM
    Initially the screen started to lag and then the keyboard.
    Then when I unlocked the device this would appear whenever I tried to press a key: nmnmnmnmnmnmnmnm. Sometimes that would appear even if I didnt press any keys.

Then the screen and the keyboard became unrespoonsive, and the phone would turn on itself and again: nmnmnmnmnmnmnm. would appear on the screen.

I did three different clean wipes using BBSAK and installed three different OS in ascending order from .353 to .474. Nothing worked.

Cant return the phone. I now have an expensive brick.
    11-05-11 09:54 PM
    Warranty - fix/repair, unbrick.
    11-05-11 10:43 PM
    1) Changing some cods to do hybrid then it worked phone started OK and boom restart loop
    2) After that I dont remember i got JVM 517 and 102 error 4 times bricked today I could make it run again changing back the cods but reboot loop.. them infinitly
    3) Just made app loader detect phone and restored Normal OS In total I bricked my phone more than 7 times but all of them were cus I was changing CODs
    11-05-11 10:53 PM
    1) battery was kind of low, so I plugged it in and left it to charge..
    2) after a while i looked over and saw the red led slowly flashing.. the phone would not boot up, powering up failed
    3) pulled out the battery, counted to 10, and stuck it back in..powered up with near full battery power...

never had the problem again
    11-05-11 11:10 PM
    1. Battery at 12%. Left it to charge overnight in bedside mode. the last I checked the phone was charged to 70% and fully functional. Woke up to a bricked phone.
    2. Phone won't turn on just blinking red led. No bad battery icon.
    3. Tried loading is through DM, loader.exe/nojvm .. Both times phone fails o reconnect to JVM with or without the battery. Tried existing battery on another 9930 and works perfectly fine. Tried new fully charged battery on the existing 9930 but still stuck in the same red blinking lit loop.

So far All efforts to contact RIM has led to no response to indifference and passing me off to the carrier.

P.s. I am on my third phone already. Getting a bit tired of the returning and getting replaced with a refurbished phone routine. I am a paying customer not a guinea pig for RIM.
    zkyevolved, iMoose and mud314 like this.
    11-05-11 11:12 PM
    Seems like at least one cause may be the battery and/or has to do with charging.

A few weeks back there was a thread here about Rogers replacing batteries for users with devices that would not boot up. Maybe it has to do with the battery...http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rogers-655526/
    11-05-11 11:20 PM
    Most people here don't really install the official DM OS. I haven't bricked my phone ever since I stuck with that way of upgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-11 11:26 PM
    Does brick mean Error 102 or just fully dead?

Because if its error 102, not only is that cause found, but its easily fixable.

11-05-11 11:34 PM
    why is this thread even open i thought this was RIM's job not ours LOL
    11-06-11 12:16 AM
    why is this thread even open i thought this was RIM's job not ours LOL
    RIM has no answers... even Kevin couldnt get one
    11-06-11 12:20 AM
    Arm-chair speculation: possibly some bad RAM? Where was everyone's bricked device made?

11-06-11 12:52 AM
    I downloaded the Beta version of BBM Messanger and i pressed reboot when the option came up, and it kept rebooting over and over and over and the gave me the JVM 517 error. Then i just re-loaded the OS through desktop manager and its been working fine ever since, ive even upgraded to the leaked OS its still good.
    11-06-11 12:57 AM
    For thoughs who had charged their phone after it was bricked. Have you charged the phone before when it was critically low?
    11-07-11 06:38 PM
    Mine went so low that the radio turned off - but the phone was still usable for non-radio things.

I put it onto the mains charger, and checked it a while later - it was charged to about 30%, the radio had been turned back on automatically - and it had caught up on some new emails.

I left it charging, and the next morning it was dead - the red LED would light for approx 10 seconds, and then go off - and repeat.

I had to buy a 2nd phone, and I tried the new battery - but it made no difference.
    The 2nd phone is working brilliantly, but I am waiting for this one to "auto-brick" at some random point in the future.

No word on when my 1st phone replacement will come back to me - has been 3 weeks now.
    11-07-11 07:02 PM
    1. Battery meter was red (don't know %). Plugged it in for a while, took it off charger at about half full, used phone for an hour or 2. Turned phone off, plugged it in, went to bed. Woke up to bricked phone.
    2. Red LED/blank screen.
    3. No fix. Attempted to reinstall OS, but phone fails to initialize.
    11-07-11 08:15 PM
    it really depends who u talk too...

rogers changed their policy after the 30 days after purchase..

you can pay $35 to have it replaced with a refurbished one(used to be free, but i guess people abused it).. but if u talk nicely they will waive it for you...

I had mine replaced after the 30 days because i called in after 5 days of having the phone and made sure they reported my JVM error.. and since i called in and told them about it, after the 30 days when my phone got the JVM error again and started the rebooting i had a BRAND NEW one sent cause it was considered DOA (dead on arrival)
    11-08-11 09:00 AM
    1) The phone was acting kind of sluggish. I pulled the battery, took a long time to load up, when it finally did it came up with abunch of error dialogs and then JVM white screen 517.
    2) JVM 517 white screen after a few pop ups saying an error had been encountered.
    3) I was able to get it connected to DM, though I already had a backup saved. Connected to BBSAK, completely wiped it, and then reloaded the software (it was .353 at the time)

Had .353 loaded for about 2 weeks when it happened. Been almost 2 months since then and all has been fine, mostly on .400 and .474.

11-08-11 09:58 AM
    About a week ago I was Bricked right after a full battery drain. Not sure if that was the cause the OS, so I Upgraded from .362 to the VZW official (deleted the Vendor as I have a Sprint 9930). That killed my Radio. And put the phone in permanent Roaming.

Replaced and amd contemplating upgrade to .362 again.

11-08-11 10:14 AM
341 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD