how do you back up your contacts on a new phone that doesn't have the contacts on it? not sure i follow your logic.

Why didn't you back your contacts with DM or BlackBerry Protect? The first thing I did when I got my 9930 was uninstall back up assistant. All you need is BB Protect. Not trying to be a j*rk or anything just saying. BB makes it SO easy to backup stuff.
    09-20-11 10:39 PM
    how do you back up your contacts on a new phone that doesn't have the contacts on it? not sure i follow your logic.
    There are numerous apps out there that can get contacts off of your old phone and sync them to the Windows address book (bitpim.org s a good free one for CDMA phones) from there the Blackberry DM can sync the contacts to your new BB, and, as stated, the BB Protect can maintain an online backup of the if you so desire. Otherwise you can just continue to sync it with your Windows address book when changes are made.
    09-20-11 11:28 PM
    Hard to say if those are accurate stats i.e. it would more meaningful if we knew the weighting. It would be more illuminating to know how many errors/failures per units shipped per product. You'd have a better guage of which ones were really bad. I'm told that Rim has the highest failure rate per units shipped than any other brand they sell.
    09-21-11 12:45 AM
    Sorry to hear about your problems but there are also MILLIONS+ out there with no problems at all. . . in reality their quality control is probably pretty damn good. You just seem to have a case of bad luck.. happens to us all
    The public won't pick up on many of the things us BB fanboys/girls hone in on. That reason isn't an endorsement that the quality is good though. In fairness though most of the issues I've had and others have reported in this forum are primarily cosmetic.

However, for the same reason I don't want a crap paint job on my new car I don't want to feel the edge of the call-end panel that is higher than the screen. Neither of these faults affect performance but that wasn't part of the deal I made with RIM or GM.
    Last edited by mhw100; 09-21-11 at 01:09 AM.
    09-21-11 01:06 AM
    Hard to say if those are accurate stats i.e. it would more meaningful if we knew the weighting. It would be more illuminating to know how many errors/failures per units shipped per product. You'd have a better guage of which ones were really bad. I'm told that Rim has the highest failure rate per units shipped than any other brand they sell.
    I own an Android (htc sensation) and use a BB (Torch 9810). I have also previously owned a Samsung Galaxy S. Android manufacturers also have issues with quality, the support threads at xda are full of complaints like the OP.
    My point is that there will always be a small defect rate in all phones especially now, as the phones get more complex and high tech. I personally have never had an issue with any bb that i have ever owned (9000, 9780 and the previous ones). Just my 2 cents.
    09-21-11 04:19 AM
    the problem with that is i came from a droid, before that a series of blackberry's. google sync has always been flawless for me.

it failed on the 9930. vzn back up assistant was plan b. it failed. i have used google sync for years and never had a problem.

i have also tried importing my google contacts into the BB DM and get errors. tied importing them into yahoo to sync that way. no luck.

There are numerous apps out there that can get contacts off of your old phone and sync them to the Windows address book (bitpim.org s a good free one for CDMA phones) from there the Blackberry DM can sync the contacts to your new BB, and, as stated, the BB Protect can maintain an online backup of the if you so desire. Otherwise you can just continue to sync it with your Windows address book when changes are made.
    09-21-11 09:41 AM
    the problem with that is i came from a droid, before that a series of blackberry's. google sync has always been flawless for me.

it failed on the 9930. vzn back up assistant was plan b. it failed. i have used google sync for years and never had a problem.

i have also tried importing my google contacts into the BB DM and get errors. tied importing them into yahoo to sync that way. no luck.
    The Google Sync app is no longer necessary. I found when I added my Gmail to the BIS account (created a new one connected to my BBID for this phone) it automatically synced my contacts and calendar. Like you I have used Google Sync in the past. I installed it but never got around to configuring it. Then I read in a few posts on here that it did not play nice with BB7 I uninstalled it no longer needing it. I don't know why BIS wouldn't work for you
    09-21-11 07:38 PM
    I own an Android (htc sensation) and use a BB (Torch 9810). I have also previously owned a Samsung Galaxy S. Android manufacturers also have issues with quality, the support threads at xda are full of complaints like the OP.
    My point is that there will always be a small defect rate in all phones especially now, as the phones get more complex and high tech. I personally have never had an issue with any bb that i have ever owned (9000, 9780 and the previous ones). Just my 2 cents.
    I've had about 8 Blackberries and about that many Android devices and really only had physical issues with three of them (The BB Tour being the most notable, and an LG Ally with a bad battery or bad battery charger). The other was the Moto Xoom tablet and I am not even 100% sure there was something wrong with (lost wireless signal for no reason) it but my friend the rep suggested we swap it out anyway since I was within 15 days just in case.
    09-21-11 07:43 PM
    anyone have a 9900 brick on them yet?

before hand I just want to point out and mention this is my 4th 9900 (and was having issues before hand) and honestly I think the bell stores in my area got a bad patch/shippment. (all have been the hardware related issues)

#1 the metal bezel was razor sharpe and slightly lifted on the right side and the pad was sunk in.
    #2 kept randomly inputting "nmmmm".... figured out it was the bezel being to tight (if you put a little pressure on the side it would replicate the issue) and the bottom lip was raised
    #3 the trackpad didnt work at all out of the box
    #4 basically the trackpad appeared to besunk in but if you look close the menu plastic piece was raised and slightly above the screen which causes the squeaky trackpad, had a jvm error (was just a bad sector of a backup file which a reload and manual set up fixed)... but tonight while going to break my device was just dead :S zero life and trust me I tried everything possible thing.

*** every device I had the plastic cover/lip under the keyboard was slightly lifted... visually you wouldn't really tell but if you felt it you would feel a sharp edge of the plastic being raised about the bezel.

again every one of the devices were from the same shippment and the IMEI's were all almost identical and all from mexico 4 : / so seems like it was just a bad shippment. a few work devices and friends with 9900's from other providers that all come from mexico 4 are completely fine with no flaws.

to busy/tired to be mad and I have been compensated very nicely by bell and waiting for a new device to be shipped dirrectly... I switch between my berry and wp7 devices anyway so I'm not without.

just curious if anyone else had a 9900 so far to flat out brick?
    09-28-11 12:45 AM
    Back up your contacts on the old phone using BB Protect. When you get the new phone, BB Protect will give you the option of downloading contacts/data from old phone.

Used this process when I switched from my 9780 to 9900. Easy peasy!
    09-28-11 01:18 AM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD