I finally convinced my wife to drop her iPhone and get a Bold 9930 (by convincing I mean she saw how well it worked and how much better it would suit her). So we order one online and it comes in next day. Its got major issues! The lock button is recessed down into the bezel where you have to use your nail to push it and the buttons next to the trackpad have zero give to them. You have to smash them down hard to get them to press. I told her not to worry as mine is perfect and we will get it replaced.

So we go through the God awful process of sending it back and today she received her new one. This one is worse than the other one. The trackpad is completely screwed in that it is bent badly to the right side. It also barely scrolls when you use it. Also the charging contact has a huge gap in it and it won't charge on the pod that she got with it. It also has gap between the screen and the buttons that causes a major light leak.

Needless sto say she isn't going through the process again of sending it back and I don't blame her. She is sticking with her iphone and RIM just forever lost a new potential customer. I'm all for RIM doing well, but stuff like this really pisses me off. Their quality control is garbage, and customers shouldn't have to send in for 2 or 3 devices just to get one that is built properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Chrisy, pipotobe, azie and 4 others like this.
    09-19-11 12:28 PM
    And? What would you like us to do? My 9930 is flawless, right out of the box on release day from Verizon.

09-19-11 12:33 PM
    Its usually best if you can get the model of phone you want in store, then you can inspect it thoroughly before you take it home. Not that you should have to do it this way...
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-19-11 12:37 PM
    And? What would you like us to do? My 9930 is flawless, right out of the box on release day from Verizon.

Stop hating....the guy has a point, 2 bad phones in a row is a big problem.....
    Paulct likes this.
    09-19-11 12:37 PM
    I finally convinced my wife to drop her iPhone and get a Bold 9930 (by convincing I mean she saw how well it worked and how much better it would suit her). So we order one online and it comes in next day. Its got major issues! The lock button is recessed down into the bezel where you have to use your nail to push it and the buttons next to the trackpad have zero give to them. You have to smash them down hard to get them to press. I told her not to worry as mine is perfect and we will get it replaced.

So we go through the God awful process of sending it back and today she received her new one. This one is worse than the other one. The trackpad is completely screwed in that it is bent badly to the right side. It also barely scrolls when you use it. Also the charging contact has a huge gap in it and it won't charge on the pod that she got with it. It also has gap between the screen and the buttons that causes a major light leak.

Needless sto say she isn't going through the process again of sending it back and I don't blame her. She is sticking with her iphone and RIM just forever lost a new potential customer. I'm all for RIM doing well, but stuff like this really pisses me off. Their quality control is garbage, and customers shouldn't have to send in for 2 or 3 devices just to get one that is built properly.
    I tend to agree with the op. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether your device will be "flawless" or not. Also faults/issues are in the eye of the beholder and no one else. Some folks have a greater tolerance for certain issues and letting them slide.
    Just my opinion of course, but I think RIM's QC has gone south over the years. It used to be very good, not so much anymore. Out of 6 99xx's I checked out only one worked as it should, it turned me off of getting one and I'm a long time fan. I'll see what comes with QNX.
    Chrisy and tjioer like this.
    09-19-11 12:41 PM
    totally agree to OP
    im on my 4th unit
    the first 3 were made in mexico 9900
    one have trackpad thats so crooked and squaky when you pressed it.
    one have defective back button, no feel at all
    one have demon inside it, it will type by itself even if i only hold the phone!

now on my 4th made in hungary, and still the trackpad is alittle crooked, but i gues i have to live with it since its very trouble some and time consuming to go back and forth to the store to exchange it.

anyway i really feel RIM should do something about this.
    but what can we do we are only "small people" we have no power over those big company,
    i swear to God if i dont need BBM for my work, i will never buy a Blackberry ever again!
    but too bad, i need BBM for my line of work....
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-19-11 12:56 PM
    I also agree with the OP... the Blackberry QC has went down over the last few years and MOST of the 9900s on Telus that was made in Mexico are all faulty in some way. I think, if it is not for the super awsome keyboard, I would even go for the iPhone at this rate. I had to change my phone 2 time already.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-19-11 12:58 PM
    We have no control over RIM quality control. The only thing we can do is say "I had the same problem."

I don't understand what you expected out of this thread other than a) others like you agreeing that RIM QC is bad or b) others like me who have working phones

09-19-11 01:04 PM
    I also agree with the OP... the Blackberry QC has went down over the last few years and MOST of the 9900s on Telus that was made in Mexico are all faulty in some way. I think, if it is not for the super awsome keyboard, I would even go for the iPhone at this rate. I had to change my phone 2 time already.
    The MEX4 and MEX5 plants suck and have always sucked. Ask your carrier--if you're purchasing a device in the store--for one that is not made at either of those plants (they can easily see right on the side of box where the pin, etc. is). There were issues with VZW Tour 9630 (trackballs), the Bold 9650 (light-bleeds and trackpads), as well as the Bold 9930 (light-bleeds, trackpads, poorly fitting bezel) now. All three of these devices covering 3 years (?) from those two plants. Someone needs to go down there and shake things up a bit. Thankfully, my 9930 is a MEX5 that I ordered over the phone. Its in perfect shape though. Just depends I guess.
    09-19-11 01:07 PM
    Agreed! You're not alone with these issues and truthfully, it's a big PITA to have to go through what you have...

There seem to be quite a few fitment and Q/C issues with the 99xx series, even more plaguing than previous models. I have gone through a few 9900's myself. I'm not sure RIM's the only one with these Q/C issues, but it still doesn't make it right. Carriers aren't much help either once 30 days has passed....

Why can't RIM build a device that feels exactly the same from one to another? I can tell 2 9900's apart without looking - just by a few clicks of the keyboard and swipes of the keypad. That's just wrong at any level.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-19-11 01:07 PM
    I have also noticed on my 9900 there is a very small gap between the top bezel and where the glass screen begins. The gap is enough for dirt to collect inside. I thought maybe it's just my phone but watching video reviews on youtube it seems like other 9900s have this problem too. Have you guys noticed that too?
    09-19-11 01:08 PM
    I have also noticed on my 9900 there is a very small gap between the top bezel and where the glass screen begins. The gap is enough for dirt to collect inside. I thought maybe it's just my phone but watching video reviews on youtube it seems like other 9900s have this problem too. Have you guys noticed that too?
    Any gap collects dirt, on anything...
    09-19-11 01:11 PM
    There seem to be quite a few fitment and Q/C issues with the 99xx series, even more plaguing than previous models
    I would not go that far... You must have missed a few key models to think this is the case.
    09-19-11 01:11 PM
    Any gap collects dirt, on anything...
    That doesn't answer my question. The question was do you guys have the same gap I described in my previous post? The gap is enough for me to see inside the phone.
    Mavrack likes this.
    09-19-11 01:14 PM
    Nope, you should not be able to see inside the phone (you kinda left out that huge detail in your previous post)
    09-19-11 01:14 PM
    We have no control over RIM quality control. The only thing we can do is say "I had the same problem."

I don't understand what you expected out of this thread other than a) others like you agreeing that RIM QC is bad or b) others like me who have working phones

I'm venting and reporting a problem. Last time I checked that's one of the things this forum was for.

Again, your useless posts can stay out if you don't like reading it.
    bhavi_jp likes this.
    09-19-11 01:19 PM
    Same here, mushy button strip. Lots of this issue has been posted.

09-19-11 01:19 PM
    Nope, you should not be able to see inside the phone (you kinda left out that huge detail in your previous post)
    Anyway, so you have no gap between the glass and top bezel. That's all I wanted to know, thanks.
    09-19-11 01:21 PM
    It's part of mass-production. It's not like they inspect every unit before going out the door. That's why they provide a warranty.

All of the 9930 units we've received have been flawless. And for the record, I'm about to return our 5th iPhone with a bad battery. One user had two in a row....
    09-19-11 01:28 PM
    It's part of mass-production. It's not like they inspect every unit before going out the door. That's why they provide a warranty.

All of the 9930 units we've received have been flawless. And for the record, I'm about to return our 5th iPhone with a bad battery. One user had two in a row....
    That is a BS excuse. Mass production is fine, but these units should be inspected before they go out. THAT is where the problem lies. Either that or they don't care if the end user is receiving a POS phone that is unusable.
    bhavi_jp and f1rewire like this.
    09-19-11 01:38 PM
    I'm venting and reporting a problem. Last time I checked that's one of the things this forum was for.

Again, your useless posts can stay out if you don't like reading it.
    Reporting a problem to a FAN FORUM achieves nothing. We literally can do NOTHING for you except stroke your bruised ego.

09-19-11 01:53 PM
    Reporting a problem to a FAN FORUM achieves nothing. We literally can do NOTHING for you except stroke your bruised ego.

I disagree. The OP can, at the very least, get advice on his post. IE: stay away from mex4/5 as stated. Or go into the vzw store to physically hold and inspect your new phone, etc etc. And to boot, its a known fact that RIM employees monitor and post on this site.
    As to the OP's post...I feel for him. Here he's trying to impress his wife and RIM fails miserably. Makes a guy feel like garbage. Way to go RIM....another happy camper

southlander and bhavi_jp like this.
    09-19-11 02:01 PM

Lol, bruised ego? Im not quite sure how my ego was bruised as I dont manufacture RIM's phones. I feel bad for my wife as all she wanted was a working 9930.

You havent been around long enough to tell me what I should and shouldn't post, that's the Mods jobs. And if they want to remove it that is fine.

And fyi CrackBerry is more than just a fan forum. I've been here since the beginning and it's purpose is for users to discuss ANY issue they have with their phone or with RIM in general or specific to their device. Again, no one asked you to come in here and comment. If you disagree with my thread that's fine, just don't read it and move on.
    Last edited by donnation; 09-19-11 at 02:03 PM.
    tjioer and bhavi_jp like this.
    09-19-11 02:01 PM
    I understand wholeheartedly with the OP. However I do agree with some of the other comments that say it's not just RIM that have quality control issues. All mass production plants have quality issues. Look at Microsoft and the Xbox 360 with the whole RROD fiasco, Apple with the antennaegate problem, or vehicles getting recalled because of a safety issue. That is unfortunate about the problems you have had with the two bold's you purchased and I can understand the frustration, as confusious once said "a happy wife makes for a happy life." So if that means she is sticking with iPhone 4 than so be it.
    09-19-11 02:21 PM
    Sounds like the Tour all over again. Horrible build quality and QA. I returned two that the trackball failed on. The replacement for one was Ok, the replacement for mine was great till I tried to plug headphones in and they wouldn't go in because of misalignment of something in the jack. I then send it back and get a refurb that had the poor mic issues my original had. Lost it in Europe and got an Assurion refurb which isn't great and is on its last foot but I've been planning on upgrading soon since December and was waiting for OS7 phones to come out. Now I can't get the carrier I want to get the phones I want so I can switch. Always something!
    09-19-11 02:21 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD