I'm sorry, but RIM really needs to change their software upgrade / update strategy

Why roll out software upgrades sporadically and treating different carriers at different roll-out rates when they could just roll out all updates to everyone at once?

Seriously, all other software and manufacturers does it. When iPhone updates come out, it's available to everyone. When Firefox comes out with an update, it's also available to all. Why not RIM?

The fact that the upgrades are rolling out sporadically all over the world and even in the same country is hurting RIM real bad.

For example, I use Bell. My friend uses Rogers. We both have the new bold 9900. I got to upgrade to 7.1 which drastically fixed the battery life (and battery life is now INCREDIBLE). Her phone doesn't allow her to upgrade to 7.1. She's not going to bother to upgrade it manually or download a hack or whatnot. To her, Blackberry sucks, because her phone dies by 5PM in the afternoon. To me, Blackberry is wonderful, because it lasts me way past midnight. All because of inconsistency in rolling out software. Why is this so?

Which other self-respecting phone company do you know that have "leaked" OS's?

RIM needs to fix this. ASAP.
    04-16-12 09:32 PM
    It is because different carries have different devices 9900 vs 9930 and the update depends on the carrier.

RIM gives every carrier an OS update, and the carrier decides whether or not to release it and when they want to release it.

To my knowledge, this isn't a RIM issue, but a carrier issue.
    04-16-12 09:34 PM
    Doesn't RIM roll out updates to carriers to test, and the carrier chooses what to push? I'm waiting for an official 7.1 from AT&T, heard they are testing multiple versions...
    04-16-12 09:38 PM
    To my knowledge, this isn't a RIM issue, but a carrier issue.
    It's a RIM issue when this problem only occurs on RIM. Apple doesn't do this.... when there is an update - everyone gets it at the same time.

Seriously though, it's hurting RIM.

My friend really thought her Bold sucked until I showed her mine. I had 7.1 and my battery was great. She had 7.0 and she couldn't last very long. She carries a charger and I don't. We have the same phone, just different software. I tell her to update, but it shows that she has the latest update.

And why do carriers / AT&T need to "test" the software? If I go to the states with my Bell phone right now, I'd be roaming on AT&T on the new software!

Things like the 7.1 update needs to be rolled out ASAP, especially if it fixes a crucial bug like battery life.

RIM needs to change this methodology. There's way too many carriers in the world to be micromanaging. When an update comes out, it needs to be available to ALL.
    robkd likes this.
    04-16-12 09:44 PM
    I agree with the others this is not a RIM problem. The carriers get the updates from RIM then they decide to release it or not. Some are a lot slower than others.
    04-16-12 09:45 PM
    I agree with the others this is not a RIM problem. The carriers get the updates from RIM then they decide to release it or not. Some are a lot slower than others.
    Disagree. When they rely on the carriers to QA their builds, people get junk "official" releases on their devices and have a horrible user experience. They look at their phone that is performing like garbage, see "BlackBerry" proudly written on it and blame RIM. It is foolish for RIM to deliver builds that might be acceptable to carriers and give them the task of checking it out. It's inevitable that carriers will miss something and as soon as they do, the blame is immediately shifted... This is something that they better get right with BB10.
    04-16-12 09:49 PM
    It is carrier related, they decide when to push it... Even with US Cellular finally making 7.1 available they decided not to allow OTA updates which is annoying...
    04-16-12 09:50 PM
    So explain to me why competitor phones can roll out upgrades instantly, and not RIM phones?

IF that is the case, what RIM needs to do is change the model. The current model is broken.
    04-16-12 09:50 PM
    It's a RIM issue when this problem only occurs on RIM. Apple doesn't do this.... when there is an update - everyone gets it at the same time.

Seriously though, it's hurting RIM.

My friend really thought her Bold sucked until I showed her mine. I had 7.1 and my battery was great. She had 7.0 and she couldn't last very long. She carries a charger and I don't. We have the same phone, just different software. I tell her to update, but it shows that she has the latest update.

And why do carriers / AT&T need to "test" the software? If I go to the states with my Bell phone right now, I'd be roaming on AT&T on the new software!

Things like the 7.1 update needs to be rolled out ASAP, especially if it fixes a crucial bug like battery life.

RIM needs to change this methodology. There's way too many carriers in the world to be micromanaging. When an update comes out, it needs to be available to ALL.
    Again, the carriers won't let RIM release the software if its not tested by them. Apple is a different story. Not sure why, probably some deal made with the carriers before hand, or Apple only releases builds to 'all' when every carrier has approved.

Android releases aren't all at the same time on all devices and on all carriers. RIM aren't micromanaging, they are sending all of their releases to all the carriers and the carriers decide when or if to release it.

If you need new software, just get the leaked version.
    04-16-12 09:51 PM
    So explain to me why competitor phones can roll out upgrades instantly, and not RIM phones?

IF that is the case, what RIM needs to do is change the model. The current model is broken.
    Only the iPhone. Apple/Windows Phone, etc are just like RIM.

If you don't like it, get an iPhone. Or don't complain...

The device isn't broken. Mine works exactly as it should...
    04-16-12 09:52 PM
    Only the iPhone. Apple/Windows Phone, etc are just like RIM.

If you don't like it, get an iPhone. Or don't complain...

The device isn't broken. Mine works exactly as it should...
    Telling people to get an iPhone as a solution to solve problems like these is EXACTLY what is happening and causing RIM's deterioration in the market place, SaMaster.

The device isn't broken, I agree, but the model / process of which upgrades are delivered to the user is broken.

Why should 1/3 of users in Canada be running on 7.0 with battery dying by 6PM... (Rogers) vs. the other 2/3s of users having the ability to upgrade to 7.1 with great battery life (TELUS and Bell). Clearly carriers should know that it is in everyone's favour to upgrade to 7.1... so why isn't it happening faster?

It's stuff like this that is causing RIM to lose market share, and that's why this model / process needs to change.
    04-16-12 10:02 PM

If you need new software, just get the leaked version.
    It's not me that needs it. It's the average layman out there that don't go on crackberry and simply wants a normal experience. The majority of the population is not going to bother with a leaked version; they'll simply switch their phones the next time round, unless it's fixed right in front of them.
    04-16-12 10:03 PM
    you can't simply just put the whole blame on RIM, yes RIM sure is slower compare to iphone. but i strongly agree that it is also carrier issue. its always been like this, rogers always getting their OS update for blackberry slower.

and for updates, i am also with bell and before 7.1 was even release for bell, i just did it myself via leaks from other carriers. every problem can be overcome since you addressed this between bell and rogers os update.
    04-16-12 10:09 PM
    I honestly don't think this is the reason RIM is looking market share. It's because of apps, and no big shiny screens. Most normal consumers have no idea what OS they are running... many don't even update until the little icon shows up on their screen.

Plus, it really isn't RIMs fault, no matter which way you look at it. Carriers are just weird. They may find a bug they don't like, or just think that there is no demand for the update (again most consumers have no idea what leaked OSes are out there).
    04-16-12 10:10 PM
    Apple has their phones as is, no one is allowed to put their branding on their ios. Another way they own you when you buy their crap. Blackberry is on all carriers but allow people to put their branding in. As well, if you want to modify your phone you have the option with rim. Thats a good thing when you are paying 600 dollars or more. If bell holds off on the update, that is their fault. Not rim.
    04-16-12 10:11 PM
    Plus, it really isn't RIMs fault, no matter which way you look at it. Carriers are just weird. They may find a bug they don't like, or just think that there is no demand for the update (again most consumers have no idea what leaked OSes are out there).
    Agreed, but from a business standpoint, its a disadvantage for RIM and RIM needs to fix it - whether it's to force carriers to deliver the upgrade / make the upgrade available (then again, wouldn't it be in RIM's power) or allowing users to upgrade directly bypassing the carrier's control. It just makes no sense in its current state - and RIM needs to look into it.

There has to be demand for 7.1 especially with such a big battery bug fix.
    04-16-12 10:15 PM
    Why should 1/3 of users in Canada be running on 7.0 with battery dying by 6PM... (Rogers) vs. the other 2/3s of users having the ability to upgrade to 7.1 with great battery life (TELUS and Bell). Clearly carriers should know that it is in everyone's favour to upgrade to 7.1... so why isn't it happening faster?

Why does rogers offer different rates then bell? Why does telus carry certain phones and bell does not? Welcome to canada and the telco monopolies screwing the country. What they sell when the phones arrive is out of the hands of rim, just like the updates. Sorry if this answer is not to your liking but reality.
    04-16-12 10:16 PM
    and updates on "other devices" also creates huge problems for providers - and shut down services for everybody - again and again and again... So it is a good thing to play nice here... some carriers could be more active though....

also remember that in order to "use" a BB, you will need either BES or BIS, which is tightly connected with the carrier. The "other" phones don't have those features.

But - we have heard that from OS10, RIM can more easy update the OS for everybody, independent from carriers.
    04-16-12 10:20 PM

Why does rogers offer different rates then bell? Why does telus carry certain phones and bell does not? Welcome to canada and the telco monopolies screwing the country. What they sell when the phones arrive is out of the hands of rim, just like the updates. Sorry if this answer is not to your liking but reality.
    haha then I think we need to occupy the carriers.

OR RIM's new management needs to make a change to this policy.
    04-16-12 10:20 PM
    I can only speak for my situation, but where I live... All carriers try to ram the iphone down your throat. It offers the best commission, and is the "it" phone. They MAY see an advantage in holding back updates to further enhance the Apple or android experience. When I go into an at&t store, they don't even have all the bb models on display and they try to talk you out of blackberry. Leaving customers on a inferior build like 7.0 may create earlier upgrades from bb.
    04-16-12 10:24 PM
    and updates on "other devices" also creates huge problems for providers - and shut down services for everybody - again and again and again... So it is a good thing to play nice here... some carriers could be more active though....

also remember that in order to "use" a BB, you will need either BES or BIS, which is tightly connected with the carrier. The "other" phones don't have those features.

But - we have heard that from OS10, RIM can more easy update the OS for everybody, independent from carriers.
    Lindstrom is correct. RIM has stated that they are going to try to circumvent the carriers with BB10, and I think they'll be able to do so based on the way that the QNX OS operates, whereby it can update certain parts of the OS without requiring the full OS to be changed. So minor tweaks/bug fixes can be delivered OTA as quickly as they're found (like when the PlayBook was first released) without input from the carriers. I think with major build changes though (like 10.0 to 10.1 or something) the carriers may still demand control.

And the reason you see Apple update without carrier intervention is because they demanded it. They are the only hardware maker that can do this simply because of the demand of the iPhone (this started way back when AT&T had it exclusively). Ice Cream Sandwich has been out for several months now and there are still new Android-based devices running Honeycomb or even Gingerbread builds. Some carriers (and even the hardware makers themselves) are restricting which devices get the latest OS updates. So while I agree that the system is broken, I think that you're being unfair to hold RIM exclusively accountable.

In any event, I agree that OS updates should be released uniformly across all devices at once. At the same time, I will concede that specific carriers may not wish to support all the features of a particular update, and as unfair as it can be, they really do have the power to restrict them from their users. Remember, they're providing a service so they can control how that service is delivered to the customer.
    04-16-12 10:42 PM
    I agree with the OP. You guys responding by telling the OP to get an iPhone or blaming carriers don't get the point.

RIM is ultimately responsible for their product and the average consumer is not going to know the intricacies of carrier based OSs or installing leaks for that matter. All they are going to notice is why their phone isn't working as it should and they will blame RIM.

If Apple can do it so can RIM and if they don't then it will be a very hard battle for them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-16-12 10:47 PM
    I agree with the OP. You guys responding by telling the OP to get an iPhone or blaming carriers don't get the point.

RIM is ultimately responsible for their product and the average consumer is not going to know the intricacies of carrier based OSs or installing leaks for that matter. All they are going to notice is why their phone isn't working as it should and they will blame RIM.

If Apple can do it so can RIM and if they don't then it will be a very hard battle for them.

If RIM tries to do this, many carriers will probably just tell them to fly a kite. Carriers aren't getting much business from RIM lately, and with no BB10, RIM is in NO position to tell the carriers what to do at this point...

Yes, RIM is responsible for their product, but compromises must be made. Apple got what they wanted because of the high demand (which RIM doesn't have) and the fact that at the time it was a HUGE deal (before Android...)

And again, even Android is having the same issues.... Apple is the only major smartphone company that has full control over its platform. RIM/Android made compromises so that the phone wasn't locked down.

I'm sure RIM will have something like this in BB10 (hopefully), but not for current devices.
    04-16-12 11:00 PM
    RIM could have, and certainly should have, demanded these things back when they were the dominant smartphone company.

Now, though, I think the carriers have the upper hand in the relationship with RIM. It's hard to imagine carriers taking demands seriously, especially since they have their way now with extremely popular Android devices.
    04-16-12 11:09 PM
    Iphones are running with different radios and carriers now yet they can have one OS to cover it all. I hope BB10 will address this.

I've purchased 3 BBs and a Playbook. I want them to succeed!

04-16-12 11:20 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD