RIM needs 2 make switching devices easier.

I just switched from the 9900 to the Torch 9810. I used the desktop software to do a device switch. I have all my email icons on the 9810, but cant send or recieve emails. When i switched devices, it didnt even port over all my emails - just the icons. Anyways, i backed up the 9900 before i did a device switch so when i realized the 9810 doesn't have any of my important data, i decided to restore the 9810 to the backed up data of the 9900 from a few minutes earlier. Needless 2 say, i still cant get emails. Icons are there, but can't send or receive. Why does RIM make it so complicated?
    12-22-11 08:20 AM
    Did you set up your email account in the email settings? Sounds like you have to enter your account information.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-22-11 08:29 AM
    Its been flawless with my experience
    12-22-11 08:29 AM
    All the icons transferred over, but there is no way to let me enter in the password to confirm my email address. The icon is there. It just wont let me send or receive emails. Can someone please assist? What did i do wrong? Isn't switching devices as easy as clicking 'switch device' from the BB desktop software?
    12-22-11 08:36 AM
    All the icons transferred over, but there is no way to let me enter in the password to confirm my email address. The icon is there. It just wont let me send or receive emails. Can someone please assist? What did i do wrong? Isn't switching devices as easy as clicking 'switch device' from the BB desktop software?
    I would assume it is more a security issue in case someone takes your unlock desktop manager or worse backup file and restores it onto another device. That way they don't have access to your email accounts.

Try this:

1. Open Messages
    2. Menu > Options
    3. Choose Email Account Management
    4. You should just have to click on "Set up another email account" or something.

Let us know how it goes...
    12-22-11 08:40 AM
    If i re-setup that email account, i will lose all of the 100 emails that i have sent the past 2 months. I dont want to lose those emails. SEE! Switching devices is NOT easy RIM and they make customers lose important data like emails.
    12-22-11 08:49 AM
    I've never had this problem when switching devices. You might try re-sending the service books. You should see that option in the Email Account Management screen.
    12-22-11 08:55 AM
    Thank you. Clicking SERVICE BOOKS helped. Now it works, but all my 100 plus emails stored on the device are now gone. On the plus side, i can now send and recieve emails. Is there a way to switch devices and retain all my sent emails and have my new device send and receive as well?

I used the BB desktop software yesterday to switch from 9900 to 9810 and followed all the instructions. I wonder what went wrong?
    12-22-11 09:04 AM
    I had no issue switching from the 8330 to the 9930 and I didn't even do it using DM, just wireless activation over the Sprint network and I was ready to go, email and everything
    12-22-11 09:11 AM
    Thank you. Clicking SERVICE BOOKS helped. Now it works, but all my 100 plus emails stored on the device are now gone. On the plus side, i can now send and recieve emails. Is there a way to switch devices and retain all my sent emails and have my new device send and receive as well?

I used the BB desktop software yesterday to switch from 9900 to 9810 and followed all the instructions. I wonder what went wrong?
    I'm glad the service books got your email working again. I don't know why the emails didn't transfer. When you do a backup, there are various options concerning what data to save. Is it possible that you neglected to include Messages and Emails? Was the process interrupted at any point? As I say, I've been through the Device Switch process several times, and never lost a single email or anything else.

Maybe you should try restoring data again and see what happens. Be sure to choose the right (most recent) backup file to restore from.
    12-22-11 09:13 AM
    I want to switch from the 9900 to the 9810. Maybe i should redo the process? Is it simply just swapping out sim cards and everything ports over, or should i use the desktop software and click 'switch devices'? Which is the best way for everything to port over and retain old emails and data? Please advise step by step. I am not comp saavy.
    12-22-11 09:23 AM
    If i re-setup that email account, i will lose all of the 100 emails that i have sent the past 2 months. I dont want to lose those emails. SEE! Switching devices is NOT easy RIM and they make customers lose important data like emails.
    Resend service books, restore messages database from old device backup. It's very easy to switch.
    12-22-11 09:32 AM
    ok, i will give it a try. I just assumed that using desktop software to switch devices was the easiest way. I've already done the service books and will do a restore from yesterdays device backup and hopefully it will work. Thanks again.
    12-22-11 10:05 AM
    I have never had that problem. Did you use the 'switch device' menu or did you just do a backup from the old device and then try to 'restore' to the new device? The latter does not work.
    12-22-11 12:13 PM
    Found this in the 9810 section. This will only work on saved emails.

First open the "messages folder" and click on "view saved messages". You should then see all of your saved messages. If not, pick any message and hit the save message option, then open the Save Messages Folder and then ALL of the lost saved messages will appear. Each time you do a battery pull you are going to have the same problem, when you do, don't worry. Just save any message into the Saved folder and they will all reappear. I had this problem until I downloaded 7.1 and now my saved messages are where they should be.

NOTE: if you don't see the Saved Messages folder on your Home screen, then click the Bberry button, click "show all" and then go back to home screen until you find the Saved messages folder. Click on the icon to remain unhidden and that will at least put the folder back on your home screen if its not there already.

Let me know if this works because it sounds more complicated than it really is. If you are having trouble understanding my temporary fix, send me another message and I'll try to explain it better.
    12-22-11 12:14 PM
    ok, i will give it a try. I just assumed that using desktop software to switch devices was the easiest way. I've already done the service books and will do a restore from yesterdays device backup and hopefully it will work. Thanks again.
    Do a selective restore if all you want is your email. Also, both the 9900 and the 9810 run OS 7 which includes the ability to do a device switch without a PC - go to Setup -> Device Switch, follow the prompts to backup your data to the memory card, then swap the memory card from one device to the other and complete the switch.

As far as your emails go, BlackBerry devices are IMAP protocal by default - so as long as you haven't been deleting on handheld and mailbox, those emails should still be on your email server. Going forward, should you want to save email, either choose "Save" from the menu to save to your device only, or "Archive" to save them on the server before choosing to delete from both.
    12-22-11 12:16 PM
    ok, i will try that method with the micro SD cards.

I just assumed everything would transition smoothly since the desktop software is from BB. I did everything that the screen prompted me to do so that i would not lose any emails, data, apps, etc. I just wanted to port everything from the 9900 to the 9810. It didnt run so smoothly.

I don't understand why it has this feature if it doesnt work.

If i save emails, do i have to go 2 each individual email and click SAVE on each one? That seems tedious.
    Last edited by BlackberryFan2009; 12-22-11 at 12:48 PM.
    12-22-11 12:44 PM
    ok, i will try that method with the micro SD cards.

I just assumed everything would transition smoothly since the desktop software is from BB. I did everything that the screen prompted me to do so that i would not lose any emails, data, apps, etc. I just wanted to port everything from the 9900 to the 9810. It didnt run so smoothly.

If i save emails, do i have to go 2 each individual email and click SAVE on each one? That seems tedious.
    You can highlight multiple emails by holding down a shift (aA) key and scrolling with the trackpad or touching two and everything in between will be selected. Open the menu and click "Save". There's also a "File" option, although I've never actually used that so you're free to explore that option if you so choose.
    12-22-11 12:54 PM
    Any time I've clicked the option to backup and restore email when switching via dm, I've never had a single issue. Must have been some random error. The process is usually quite smooth.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    12-22-11 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD