I have not seen this posted before. Trust it is not "old" news.

From the RIM knowledge base articles:

BlackBerry smartphone does not power on or charge when the battery has been completely drained

Article ID: KB28408

Type: Support Content

Last Modified: 02-06-2012

Product(s) Affected:

Smartphones

Search the knowledge base:

Visit BlackBerry Community Support Forums

Environment

BlackBerry� smartphones
    DT 1451482

Overview

BlackBerry� smartphone will not turn on or charge. This can occur when allowing the battery to completely drain.

The following BlackBerry smartphones may be affected by this issue:

BlackBerry� Bold� 9900
    BlackBerry� Bold� 9930
    BlackBerry� Torch� 9810
    BlackBerry� Torch� 9850
    BlackBerry� Torch� 9860
    BlackBerry� Curve� 9370

Resolution
    This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team for investigation.

Workaround
    Remove the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone and reinsert it. If the BlackBerry smartphone still fails to boot then replace the battery with a battery with a charge greater than 10%.

Additional Information
    Note* Batteries can be recharged in external charger or another BlackBerry smartphone.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    04-06-12 12:02 PM
    This method doesn't work for me. My other 9900 remains dead months now. Looking forward to a real solution from RIM. RIM hs to be serious about this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 05:19 PM
    The charging failure was already fixed in 7.1. I encountered the charging error multiple times on 7.0.

However I don't think that is the only "bricking" issue (that issue was just more of a system software issue where the phone wouldn't charge), as some people with bricks were not getting different results in some cases even after swapping out the battery.
    04-06-12 05:40 PM
    Guess it's a good thing I never let mine get that low.
    04-06-12 05:47 PM
    Guess it's a good thing I never let mine get that low.
    I second that... I can never seem to get it that low. Even if I really tried.
    04-06-12 06:09 PM
    They're further behind than we are! My last one bricked with 75% left. Then flickered/flashed/hiccuped then bricked in my hands after what I believe was a complete discharge in seconds followed by the black screen and slow flashing led of death. Personally I believe a component related to prevent overcharging loses its mind, or in this case its program and requires replacement and or reprogramming. They know what really causes this and it may be too simple to reveal, for fear of the wrath and humiliation attached to the cause. Its easier and creates less bad press just to exchange them out. I'm not really that upset since I have received excellent certified replacements the very next day! And I flat out refuse to give up on Blackberry. I know I would never be happy using anything else. I still love my Bold!
    Last edited by albee 1; 04-06-12 at 06:38 PM.
    04-06-12 06:36 PM
    Whatever the reason is, when it happens it sucks! I always backup and have BB protect up to date so I didn't lose anything important. One Ironic thing is after RIM sent back a replacement phone I put the old battery in (was sitting around for two weeks) and it worked perfect. Don't remember the charge but a little less than 50% was left. Really glad to have it back now !!
    04-07-12 10:06 AM
    I have sent all these comments to RIM and they say they are working on the problem. As Yoda would say:. Don't work, fix.
    04-08-12 06:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD