Finally took delivery of the brand new Blackberry brand battery today after it sat since ordering it during Christmas. Who knows how long it sat in a storage warehouse.

So initially I put it in my wall charger (photo) and it would not indicate "charging" so then I put it into the 9900 and that is where I saw the red X (beyond dead) so I left it for about 5 minutes and then tried putting it back in the wall charger and finally now it is taking a charge!

So for some reason it would not start charging until it was "primed" in the 9900 first. Revived a totally dead battery (Red X)-imageuploadedbycb-forums1460849424.017393.jpg
    04-16-16 06:30 PM
    That's good tip. Thanks.
    04-16-16 07:21 PM
    yup, I also wonder what other's experiences with the Red X batteries are.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-16-16 07:34 PM
    Sounds like these depleted batteries need a bit of stimulus to wake up from deep coma, as long as they are "alive" (juice is left)..
    I also read somewhere that warming up (heating up) the battery a bit also kickstarts dead batteries.
    04-16-16 07:58 PM
    Sounds like these depleted batteries need a bit of stimulus to wake up from deep coma, as long as they are "alive" (juice is left)..
    I also read somewhere that warming up (heating up) the battery a bit also kickstarts dead batteries.
    hmm, interesting. As long as they don't mean putting them in a fire

sidenote: this battery is also pretty fresh so I'm glad I could restore it, it has a date of 2015 on it

04-16-16 08:13 PM
    hmm, interesting. As long as they don't mean putting them in a fire
    Hair dryer

sidenote: this battery is also pretty fresh so I'm glad I could restore it, it has a date of 2015 on it
    Good for you.
    I am not an expert but believe this has much to do with the internal circuit to indicate the battery level, which requires current to start working again. I once left my device on and forgot about it until I found that the battery was completely depleted. Charging did not show any effect but in about 30 minutes or so, it was charging. Yours is new and probably just temporarily depleted. Good buy!
    04-16-16 08:31 PM
    cool, I guess the real test will be tomorrow, probably wont last as long until a few days of conditioning

04-16-16 09:25 PM
    yup, I also wonder what other's experiences with the Red X batteries are.
    I had to buy a new battery.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    04-16-16 10:42 PM
    I had to buy a new battery.
    do you have a wallcharger?

04-16-16 10:46 PM
    well bad news, I was uninstalling an app today and upon reboot it locked to the Red X screen again. The battery was fully charged this time too! I'll do some research on if it is possible to save it or not.

04-17-16 10:28 PM
    do you have a wallcharger?
    I was on travel, so "no." I left the battery in the phone for a few hours while I ran around with the Passport, but no luck.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    04-17-16 10:41 PM
    well bad news, I was uninstalling an app today and upon reboot it locked to the Red X screen again. The battery was fully charged this time too! I'll do some research on if it is possible to save it or not.
    The guy at Batteries + was pretty sneeringly dismissive of Blackberry batteries from Amazon. I bought two spares from Amazon, along with the one that came with the phone. The one that came in the phone seems quite healthy, and I haven't experimented with the second spare.

04-17-16 10:45 PM
    The guy at Batteries + was pretty sneeringly dismissive of Blackberry batteries from Amazon. I bought two spares from Amazon, along with the one that came with the phone. The one that came in the phone seems quite healthy, and I haven't experimented with the second spare.

well I had great luck with the other new BB Battery from Amazon in January and it is my daily driver but I am going to try everything to restore this new one from Yesterday. It worked great for one day and then when trying to reboot only, it red X'd again.

I put it in the wall charger and it does indicate "charging" so will try again later. I read several cases of this off Google for Crackberry forums and people said they had to charge it for days straight to "revive" the dead battery. Others said it will work great as long as you don't reboot the phone with it, but I don't see how that is possible since these phones need a daily reboot to keep the memory clear.

04-17-16 10:55 PM
    The one that came in the phone seems quite healthy, and I haven't experimented with the second spare.
    it might have the red x syndrome, better get some juice into it

04-17-16 11:34 PM
    update: charged to full again with wallcharger, popped it into the 9900 and it booted up, no red x.

might have to "work it" to fully restore it.....

04-18-16 12:58 AM
    really good link on how to Prime and condition a lithium ion battery as well as how they work

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...rime_batteries

04-18-16 01:30 AM
    Left it on the charger all night for once, had no problem rebooting today and no red X..........yet
    04-18-16 03:08 PM
    it might have the red x syndrome, better get some juice into it
    Yeah; that hadn't occurred to me -- I just hadn't given that other BlackBerry / Amazon battery much thought after the first one failed; I just noticed _this_ one, however (in the phone now) has a white "TESTED PASS" sticker on the back. I'll use it for a few days and report back.

04-19-16 09:57 AM
    Yeah; that hadn't occurred to me -- I just hadn't given that other BlackBerry / Amazon battery much thought after the first one failed; I just noticed _this_ one, however (in the phone now) has a white "TESTED PASS" sticker on the back. I'll use it for a few days and report back.

if the phone booted up as soon as you put it in I would say you are "good to go"

as for mine I still cannot reboot if the battery is below half but full it will reboot, so back into the wall charger it goes for 12 hours each time until hopefully it gets properly conditioned.

04-19-16 10:35 AM
    if the phone booted up as soon as you put it in I would say you are "good to go"
    You'd THINK so, wouldn't you?

-- but the other BlackBerry / Amazon battery booted up the phone just fine when I put it in the first time, and showed about 7/8 charge. It failed spectacularly about a week later, while I was on travel.

04-19-16 11:25 AM
    I can use the red x battery from FULL charge to EMPTY BUT if I ever get a freeze, and have to reboot, even if the battery is near full sometimes, it Red X's again.

but I will give it another couple weeks and hopefully it will "condition."

who knows, maybe it will never fully recover but at least I am using it.

04-22-16 03:44 PM
    UPDATE: FINALLY this new battery is recovering! I am now able to reboot at least, when the % is 75% or greater and I couldn't before.

Even when I don't use this battery that had the red "X" I keep it on the wall charger as much as possible and I think that is helping to "re-activate" its "range."

05-29-16 12:24 AM
    Hey CollinsCity here is that thread I was talking about, maybe it will give some insight....
    01-12-17 07:22 PM
    Regarding replacement batteries for the 9900, has anybody tried one of these?

Revived a totally dead battery (Red X)-drb-jm1.jpg
    Amazon UK link

Duracell are a well trusted provider of batteries, and considering the likely shelf-age of any OEM BlackBerry JM1 these might be worth a try as an alternative,
    Not cheap, but then neither were the genuine JM1's and personally, I'm not prepared to put cheap, rogue batteries in my 9900.
    01-13-17 07:31 AM
    Regarding replacement batteries for the 9900, has anybody tried one of these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drb-jm1.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	415768
    Amazon UK link

Duracell are a well trusted provider of batteries, and considering the likely shelf-age of any OEM BlackBerry JM1 these might be worth a try as an alternative,
    Not cheap, but then neither were the genuine JM1's and personally, I'm not prepared to put cheap, rogue batteries in my 9900.
    I need to check the amazon.ca site just for curiousity sake.

Duracell always last longer than Energizer etc. in my experience...

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-13-17 09:10 PM
51 123