Hello,

Here is the deal. I currently sporting a Nexus S with ICS. I really like because it has so much capability compared to to other platforms. Now my first phone was Blackberry Pearl it was great until new stuff came out. With all the negative PR RIm has been getting it actually makes me want to get bold 9900. I went to my local Att and the guy did everything he could to convince me not to buy one. I am still interested in getting one but I hear app quality is really bad. Another thing why doesn't best buy carry the phone in store ?

What are your opinions on the Bold 990? Is it worth getting knowing B10 is getting closer? I really don't want to spend $200 knowing it will be replaced pretty soon.

Thanks! And sorry for this being another one of those threads you guys hate.
    02-12-12 04:36 PM
    The ATT guy knows that the Bold 9900 has some big issues.

I already have 3 bold 9900 and if I can't fix my 3rd bold today, tomorrow I will have my 4th one in less than 4 months.

I am glad to have an iphone 4S because the bold 9900 is so unreliable that without other phone is almost impossible to live.

Wait for the iphone 5, it will be released in june.
    02-12-12 04:43 PM
    I don't think anyone knows when OS 10 will be released. The 9900/9930 certainly has been plagued with some issues, but most of them seem to be corrected with various updates.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 02-12-12 at 06:53 PM.
    02-12-12 04:46 PM
    Haven't had any issues with my 9900 for about 3 months now. Phone is awesome and will only get better with OS7.1 releases.
    Elbojemio likes this.
    02-12-12 05:07 PM
    It's a great phone, the best BlackBerry yet. Some people have experienced some problems, but that happens on all platforms.

Some people have faulty batteries or mismanage their apps so they have short battery life, but this battery life is only short compared to previous BBs. Compared to iOS or Android phones, it's on par if not still slightly better.

The app quality is not as high as iOS, that's for sure. Compared to Android, it really depends on which apps. Some of the BB apps are pretty well done, others aren't. I think that applies to all the app markets (especially Android's since like BlackBerry's, they don't have a unified coding framework yet to keep apps consistent). This will change in late 2012 with the new unified framework that RIM is working on called Cascades.

I love the phone and I enjoy using it every day. It really comes down to you. Also, a lot of the complaints come from early models of the 9900 which have since had most of their bugs ironed out either via hardware revisions or software updates.

If you do get a 9900, the first think you should do is update to the latest software. It will solve a lot of potential issues.

PS: BB 10 phones are due to start rolling out in the fall. I don't expect any new flagship phone until then.
    02-12-12 05:21 PM
    I have a 9900 with AT&T without any problems and great battery life but I don't have apps or games on it, I work with it.
    Elbojemio likes this.
    02-12-12 05:25 PM
    I've had this phone for 5 months, and I totally recommend this blackberry. I was waiting for an update of the 9000 and this was more of what I expected (from RIM), I've never had a problem with it! As soon as it came out I left my iphone4.. I'm an apple "ftw" fan, but I like blackberry too and it's tools are indispensable for me (bbm indeed, maps is great, has never failed me even once)
    I know the appworld sucks, but it has some nice tools to work with. NOTHING compare to the AppStore, but manageable.
    I'll keep saying that the best mix is ipad/notiphone! *IF you need another platform, in my case blackberry. I can enjoy all the apps I really like in my ipad, when I really can instead of sometimes draining my iphone's battery playing somewhere outdoors (hated when that happened).

It's a sexy phone, come on people.
    Last edited by Giancarlobc; 02-12-12 at 06:46 PM.
    robkd likes this.
    02-12-12 05:37 PM
    Here comes all the "I have a 9900 and it's perfect" posts. That doesnt mean anything for all the people that have had an inordinate number of issues. What's the point of those posts? Do you think you're going to convince someone with a bricked 9900 that there are no issues with her phone?
    02-12-12 05:37 PM
    Here come all the "I have a 9900 and it's bricked" posts. That doesn't mean anything to all the people that have had no issues whatsoever. What's the point of those posts? Do you think you're going to convince someone with a perfect 9900 that there are issues with the phone?
    02-12-12 05:46 PM
    I like how so many of the people having issues have exchanged hardware 3-4-5 times and then call it "Bricking" in spite of the fact they are getting the same hardware everytime. Seems like the one thing they all have in common is enough confidence to say "it is truly bricked" but not enough confidence to handle an issue should one occur.

Just incase some of you didn't get the bulletin, "Bricked" is a new slang term meaning "I can't get my phone to work".
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-12-12 at 07:32 PM.
    02-12-12 07:25 PM
    I am on my second 9900 and battery life is great. Using the newest version of .205. Just go try it out and see for yourself.
    02-12-12 07:27 PM
    I am on my second 9900 and battery life is great. Using the newest version of .205. Just go try it out and see for yourself.
    Give this man a Cigar! .205 is Great.
    02-12-12 07:33 PM
    well i used nexus s with ICE for a 2 months and than change to 9900
    so far so good i love it

but i don't play games on the phone so 9900 not much good games
    also a lot of ppl saying problem with their 9900 but every OS has its problem, so....you have to see how you like it
    so far i have no problem with it and just love with the sexy look and the function of the phone
    02-12-12 07:57 PM
    Do you think you're going to convince someone with a perfect 9900 that there are issues with the phone?
    Yes, as a matter of fact I think it will, and it has. There are quite a few posts here about people with 9900s waiting for the the dreaded red light.

You see, people worry about things failing--particularly when a device/item has a history of failing.

You're not going to convince someone not to worry by saying your device is fine when the population overall has an abnormally high failure rate. As much as you want that to be true, it's not--cute, silly posts won't change it either.
    02-12-12 08:32 PM
    Well no device is ever perfect. There are bound be be flaws and that is why Manufacturers produce Updates.
    I had a scare Friday night when I was trying to downgrade to version .590 because of the constant issues with sending texts and having no dial tone. I received the 507 error and proceeeded to re-install the software again. I got that White screen with the battery with an X. I knew what I had to do and following up with CrackBerry on how to fix a nuked phone well I was able to fix it. I know the difference between Bricked and Nuked and mine was Nuked.

Olblueyez- thanks and for the record, I am not a guy.
    02-12-12 09:43 PM
    7.1 has pretty much fixed any fatal problems. I would get one now while they are at a low price. BB10 will probably be out in less than a year from now (if you want to do a yearly update to BB10), but nobody really knows...

I have had a 9930 since release day on Verizon and I absolutely love the device. I've only had minimal problems, and most have been caused by myself (by downloading an app that wasn't fully compatible, etc).
    02-12-12 09:50 PM
    I picked up a 9930 Verizon for $79.99
    02-12-12 11:03 PM
    Haven't had any issues with my 9900 for about 3 months now. Phone is awesome and will only get better with OS7.1 releases.
    Agreed. Mine has no issues so far and the updated software only makes it more lovable.

well i used nexus s with ICE for a 2 months and than change to 9900
    so far so good i love it

but i don't play games on the phone so 9900 not much good games
    also a lot of ppl saying problem with their 9900 but every OS has its problem, so....you have to see how you like it
    so far i have no problem with it and just love with the sexy look and the function of the phone

You definitely won't get as many apps but that is why some people solved the problem with a tablet on the side. Pros: larger screen and more apps. You can now (thank you blackberry!) tether the phone to the tablet and surf on a tablet.

7.1 has pretty much fixed any fatal problems. I would get one now while they are at a low price. BB10 will probably be out in less than a year from now (if you want to do a yearly update to BB10), but nobody really knows...

I have had a 9930 since release day on Verizon and I absolutely love the device. I've only had minimal problems, and most have been caused by myself (by downloading an app that wasn't fully compatible, etc).
    Hahaha remember how long it took them to roll out qnx and the 9xxx series of blackberries? I wouldn't worry about bb10 yet. P.s it's going to be running a diff os and apparently won't have a keyboard! (huge mistake) since it's why I love my bb so much

Don't know about all of you but every time I look at my blackberry, I can't help falling a little more in love with it. You surely won't find a better email device that sports a keyboard made for people that really appreciate a physical keyboard.

Just my .02
    Last edited by lumos; 02-12-12 at 11:12 PM.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    02-12-12 11:09 PM
    Here comes all the "I have a 9900 and it's perfect" posts. That doesnt mean anything for all the people that have had an inordinate number of issues. What's the point of those posts? Do you think you're going to convince someone with a bricked 9900 that there are no issues with her phone?
    People with problems are typically more vocal than those without. So, to balance things out (and to not make the whole forum look like a graveyard of 9900s) it's good to let people say some good things as well.
    02-12-12 11:39 PM
    The ATT guy knows that the Bold 9900 has some big issues.
    02-13-12 01:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD