Here's my dilemma:

I am someone who uses their phone 16 hours a day. I need it for my dayjob and my wedding DJ business in the evenings. I am rarely at home or near a PC so I can't afford to miss a text, e-mail, facebook message from existing and new clients. I lov(ed) my 9700 but it appears I have a battery defect. It won't hold a charge, the micro usb port, when wiggled the wrong way, reboots the phone. I frequently qipe and keep up to date on new OS6 builds. I'm out of options.
    Sometimes it will shut off for hours and the 'x' through the battery appears when plugged in to charge. Doesn't matter what source I use (wall, pc or car)

Here's my problem. I want to upgrade to the 9900 from Bell. I'm eligible for a hardware upgrade Oct. 17th. I was told by Bell if I upgrade I lose my current plan. Why? Because I have an old plan that includes UNLIMITED email and internet. I don't want to lose that so I'll have to pay the full 650$ for a new Bold.

It's been about a month that many of you have had your new bb's and I have a few questions:

Battery life seems to be good after the .353 build I've read.

How many times have you have to pull your battery?
    How often do you see the cursed hourglass?
    How often do you see 'Sorry we're closing this page because it is too large!'

We all love bb but we know that no OS is perfect.

Thank you for your time to read this post!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-11 07:06 AM
    Hey Jarek, I've had the 9900 on Telus for about 2 weeks now, and I'm quite sure it will be a phone you'll enjoy using all 16 hours of your busy day.

There are reports about the battery life being beyond terrible, as I'm sure you've read here on the forums. Myself, I go about 15 hour days on it and my battery is at worst 65% remaining when I go to bed. My usage might be similar to yours but to a lesser extent, I run a small recording studio so not missing texts, emails or facebook messages are indeed crucial.

As far as pulling the battery, I've not needed to do that once since I got it, and I'm sure many others can attest to the new Bold's stability. The hourglass only shows now when I'm downloading or installing apps, though much less frequently than my 9780 did, and best of all, the phone is still well usable when you see the hourglass. I can download/install apps and still browse the web just as easily. And on that note, I haven't come across a "page is too large" message. When I was on the stock build, I did have the browser unexpectedly close (crash most likely), then re-open, asking me if I wanted to reload my previous tabs. It only happened twice and the whole procedure took all of 2 seconds, a feature I wish were on previous phones as well.

There is one issue though that I've noticed, and that's sometimes the Facebook app doesn't notify me of messages. It's not consistent, as many of them come through easily, but I have noticed that for a couple of conversations I had going before I got the 9900, I wouldn't receive the new message notification unless I went into the messages part of the app myself, then it pops up. I'm guessing it's a glitch somewhere between Facebook itself and the app, wouldn't surprise me with all the new changes happening on the site, but an issue I've noticed nonetheless.

Hopefully this answers your questions. I have one myself for you though, you say you don't want to upgrade because Bell will force you to a new plan, how much data do you use on your 9700? I know Bell's data plans aren't the cheapest, but if it's only emails and browsing that you're doing, I doubt you would go over 250mb a month. RIM does awesome compression on all data sent to your phone. It might be worth it depending on your usage
    09-07-11 09:03 AM
    I have the phone for more than two months now. Since the .353, everything (and I mean "everything"), runs smoothly, no hour glasses, no battery pulls (maybe once a month now), and battery life is 2-2,5 days (I turn it off after midnight and on again at 7am). So, in my opinion, go buy the phone now, and keep your current, excellent plan!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-07-11 09:08 AM
    i did my first battery pull this morning after over a month with the phone, it just crashed and wouldnt respond. a simple pull and its back to perfection
    09-07-11 09:19 AM
    World of difference from my 9700 to Agent 99. She goes all day, from 0630 to midnight or later. Battery life has settled down after a week of solid use, and I'm currently getting about -5.8%/hour and dropping. I leave mine on during the night, though I am starting to use bedside mode. I also use the OEM holster, by the way, and do not notice that it drains any faster as some have reported. I think you'll be most pleased with this upgrade.
    09-07-11 09:43 AM
    How many times have you have to pull your battery? One a week
    How often do you see the cursed hourglass? I have not seen it yet.
    How often do you see 'Sorry we're closing this page because it is too large!'
    All pages I have gone to work great and fast.
    09-07-11 09:46 AM
    I haven't had any issues post 353. Battery lasts only a few hours less than 9780.

09-07-11 10:23 AM
    ...I've had the 9900 for about 3 weeks and so far haven't needed to do a battery pull, I've only seen the hour glass when downloading and have never had a web page close on me, plus I'm still using the original OS and have had really good battery life, only losing around 1.5% to 2% an hour on average. My most recent full charge was Monday afternoon and it's now approx 48 hours later and I'm still at 40% - I do have the radio turned off at work (apart from at lunchtime) due to a poor signal there, and during these two days I've mainly been using the phone for messaging, FB / Twitter and browsing (I'm obviously aware that making more calls and using it for other things would have had a greater impact on the battery) but still, no complaints here!!
    09-07-11 10:45 AM
    Did 1-2 battery pulls the first day or two, then nothing since.

Hour glass - saw a couple times when booting up more intensive apps, and only for a second or too (roller coaster game + wikitude). Other than that, I had an hour glass in app world, but only because I was downloading / installing 6 apps at once

Page too large error - haven't seen. There was 1 different browser error, appeared only once, and closed the browser. I don't remember what it said because it was so rare.
    09-07-11 10:53 AM
    Hey guys,

First of all, everone who replied forking rocks. CB forum users are the best.

Re: the facebook issue - I don't get all msgs to my 9700 either so I think its an app error.

I spent an hour on the phone with bell - explained that I've been a customer for 5 yerars, every phone bill averaging over $120.00.

They wouldn't do a thing for me. I'm cancelling, paying the 380$ cancellation fee and switching to virgin mobile with a 1GB data plan (I use just over 500MB a month)

9900 here I come!

Thanks again!

09-07-11 11:01 AM
    You could try esculating your complaint to Bell's retention dept. Failing that why don't you just buy the phone outright? you're already paying close to $400 plus whatever Virgin wants for it to go on contract and hookup fees. I would keep your plan and when it comes time to renew you will be in a better place to negotiate.

09-07-11 12:04 PM
    Already went through the resolution department. They talked to 2 managers - no dice.

Anyways I'm writing this from my 9900.

Cancellation fee from Bell is $380.00

New phone cost me $135.00 after tax (there was a promotion)

Buying a new phone outright wouldve been 599.99 + HST

Anyone interested in getting a new phone should seriously consider Virgin. Very happy with their setup and customer service.

09-07-11 01:06 PM
    Exactly - for another $85 you could have had the phone and not be locked into another 3 year contract that you will undoubtedly be p...ed off with in 18 months when you want another new device.

09-07-11 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD