Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    PIN
    Some Numbers and Letters
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default QR Code

can a QR code be used similar to NFC, to turn off and on apps/features?

my situation.
    i wanna create a QR that would turn on bluetooth and drive safe.ly app when scanned and then turn off when scanned again.

i've looked into getting NFC but i'd be $30-50 in, before i get the end result.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

No, QR code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are used in a visual medium (your device has to be able to scan them with their camera)

NFC is a wireless protocol.

But both may be used for some of the same things. sending someone to a website, contact information, phone numbers. QR codes do not transmit information in the same way.

50 dollars out? How so?
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    PIN
    Some Numbers and Letters
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    No, QR code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are used in a visual medium (your device has to be able to scan them with their camera)

NFC is a wireless protocol.

But both may be used for some of the same things. sending someone to a website, contact information, phone numbers. QR codes do not transmit information in the same way.
    i'd be ok with scanning the QR Code every time as i have a reader app
    50 dollars out? How so?
    starter pack with stickers and encoder, then shipping and tax, since most of this stuff comes from the USA and shipping to Canada cost lots
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Well, there are many services that let you create qr codes as you need them.

You don't need an nfc encoder, you would need some blank nfc tags, and two apps nfc NFCShortcuts and ShortCutMe and you could basically program your device to do almost anything when you tap a tag.

The encoders are used for more mass production (unless you are posting about a personal one you hook up to the PC via USB) for security systems and operations staff, using your BB, some nfc tags, and those two apps all for under 15.00 cdn would be a better solution.

I may be mistaken, but I thought all you really needed now was NFCShortcuts Buy NFCShortcuts - Download NFCShortcuts - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World check out these blog posts as well NFCShortcuts | CrackBerry.com
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28A006EA

Where I am now, NFC Tags are being sold for USD20 for a pair. Have not bought any before, so don't know whether that is the best price. Going over to ebay shortly to find a better deal though.
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

OP - the creator of shortcutme and NFC shortcuts is here on CrackBerry. Look for a thread on NFC shortcuts and you will find a whole group of folks sharing and helping debug shortcuts and macros. I just bought nfcshortcuts on sale a couple days ago and I'm about to order some tags and get started. You should do the same!
    It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    PIN
    Some Numbers and Letters
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by DocDRM View Post
    OP - the creator of shortcutme and NFC shortcuts is here on CrackBerry. Look for a thread on NFC shortcuts and you will find a whole group of folks sharing and helping debug shortcuts and macros. I just bought nfcshortcuts on sale a couple days ago and I'm about to order some tags and get started. You should do the same!
    I've see the thead and read it a few times. i was just looking for a more cost effective alternative. but it seems like i'll just stick with NFC
    CrackBerry Addict

Is there a way to have the phone use or scan a QR code that is already displayed on the phones screen, not requiring you to point the phone camera at some other screen or paper printout of the QR?
    Use case is someone sends a QR to your phone as an image in email, bbm, or posted in a forum this this thread. How can we use that image directly without needing to use the camera?

Posted via CB10