Is there any information about the forward compatibility of these new Bolds and QNX?

I'm not so sure that these bolds will be significantly nicer than my 9650.... perhaps someone can convince me. I'm guessing that the phone will be somewhat faster than my current phone.

One feature, that would be of interest, is the ability to upgrade to QNX once that become available.

Any info on this?

Thanks

p.s. also wondering about wifi hotspot ability
    05-03-11 06:14 AM
    Highly doubt that the Bold touch or any other device due out in the yr will be able to upgrade to QNX but then who knows for sure other than RIM...Dont think we will see QNX on phones till around next yr sometime...interesting days ahead for RIM...hopefully they can get back their market share from apple and Android...fedup of hearing about Android all the time now

No one is certain that the bold touch will have wifi hotspot...would be nice if it did of course but for me, its not such a big deal.
    Last edited by Spawn12; 05-03-11 at 06:26 AM.
    05-03-11 06:18 AM
    I'm not so sure that these bolds will be significantly nicer than my 9650.... perhaps someone can convince me. I'm guessing that the phone will be somewhat faster than my current phone.
    Are you serious? Just look at the pictures and read the spec list

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 06:29 AM
    Is there any information about the forward compatibility of these new Bolds and QNX?

One feature, that would be of interest, is the ability to upgrade to QNX once that become available.

Any info on this?

Thanks

To run many programs smooth under QNX, you need at least a dual core processor. So the answer is NO. Even RIM said it, it won't be QNX based what so ever. Also, you can read this on crackberry.com: http://crackberry.com/rim-co-ceo-jim...investors-call
    05-03-11 09:43 AM
    No, these phones won't be able to run QNX. If the Bold 99xx Series is a success though, which I'm fairly sure it will be, we'll probably see an update to it later this year/early next year with a dual core processor.
    05-03-11 10:00 AM
    I think they will have OS8 for QNX. Plus the necessity for dual processors. So I don't think it would. Maybe the refresh of this phone, or the successor to it.
    05-03-11 11:52 AM
    Being that they are still trying to consolidate all of their current OS into 1 (QNX & Current BBOS) I'm not too sure we'll be seeing QNX on a Phone anytime soon. RIM is still putting together what a QNX based phone OS would be capable of, much less putting it on a phone.

Hopefully though, the idea of a duel core being released with the Bold 9900/9930 being popular would be Great. I for one, hope to see that kind of rapid improvement.

05-03-11 12:27 PM
    I hate to ask this question, but what is QNX?

05-03-11 10:19 PM
    I hate to ask this question, but what is QNX?

OS developed for the Playbook with intent for future use on BB smartphones. Will require a dual processor device which RIM has not yet announced. I agree with other posters in that RIM has not yet determined what features will be included in the QNX OS for phones. Will probably not happen for at least a year, more than likely a 2013 kind of device.
    05-03-11 10:33 PM
    QNX itself would have no problem with the 9900. But RIM wants to run Flash and Android apps on it, as well as web based SDK. Lots of memory, to load all these runtimes, and multiple cores to smooth over non-native apps lag, might be required.

RIM's SDK decisions bring lots of complexity and cost.
    05-03-11 10:34 PM

According to the specs so far it doesnt look like there will be hotspot.
    05-03-11 11:29 PM
    HA! qnx would be a def no. rim would lose money, so even if you could, they wouldnt.

one thing to consider. even though rim could put qnx os onto phones, these kind of major updates take a long time for rim to do. remember 6.0? they delayed it almost 8 months longer than what we had expected. i believe it was supposed to be launched on the storm 2, but they delayed it and launched it at 9780.

so if history has taught us anything, it will be a long time for the qnx to officially hit a BB device. dont hold your breath. if you arent on tmo, id suggest you'd buy this phone and enjoy it. and if you are waiting for lte, expect at least a 1 yr wait, if not more.
    05-04-11 01:27 AM
    remember 6.0? they delayed it almost 8 months longer than what we had expected. i believe it was supposed to be launched on the storm 2, but they delayed it and launched it at 9780.
    I...don't remember anything at all when I was following the Storm2 in regards to it coming with OS6, but alright... OS6 also debuted with the 9800, not 9780.
    05-04-11 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD