re-read this thread: bold touch and QNX os? is it possible??, and I'm curious if enough has changed in the last 120 days to shed a bit more optimistic light on the idea?

The cat is out of the bag - this new Bold IS the most incredible device to ever come out of an RIM factory...speaking in terms of build quality, and performance...so, I'm wondering...why wouldn't you (RIM) piggy-back off of that, and extend the life of this great hardware a little further, as well as capitalize on the raving reviews of the device, by building a QNX OS update to the phone at/around the launch of the first QNX device in early 2012? You would instantly gain a 2nd QNX device on the market, as well as increase the QNX early-adopters (guinea pigs) PLUS do wonders to turn the corporate image around in the consumer's eye...

Sure, it may require some extra work...but I'm thinking the risk-reward would justify it...(of course, this assumes it is technologically possible...)
    08-24-11 04:46 PM
    very highly doubtful you will see QNX on the current BB lineup
    08-24-11 04:53 PM
    Technically the hardware supports it.

No RIM will not do it.
    08-24-11 04:54 PM
    Why would they want to extend the life of this hardware?

The make money selling new hardware.

No one at RIM is even looking at writing QNX software for the 9900.

They pretty well have their hands full now.
    08-24-11 04:55 PM
    I am pretty sure one day soon they may have a keyboard type QNX phone, but for current 9900 and whatnot, they more than likely won't put that os on it. IIRC I thought the os7 devices will keep being supported even when QNX is out as a lower line of bb to please the masses. I know I read that somewhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 05:02 PM
    Why would they want to extend the life of this hardware?
    The make money selling new hardware.[/QUOTE]
    Because they have a PR nightmare on their hands...and a possible solution to swing that in the other direction would be to 'throw' customers a bone...save some customers some $ up front, in lieu of what you'll make off them down the road - it's not a new strategy (see Amazon and Apple for current, working examples)

No one at RIM is even looking at writing QNX software for the 9900.
    They pretty well have their hands full now.[/QUOTE]

Understood - but not something easily fixed/corrected...come on, business/project management 101, LoL; certainly not a 'valid' excuse...
    08-24-11 05:05 PM
    re-read this thread: bold touch and QNX os? is it possible??, and I'm curious if enough has changed in the last 120 days to shed a bit more optimistic light on the idea?

The cat is out of the bag - this new Bold IS the most incredible device to ever come out of an RIM factory...speaking in terms of build quality, and performance...so, I'm wondering...why wouldn't you (RIM) piggy-back off of that, and extend the life of this great hardware a little further, as well as capitalize on the raving reviews of the device, by building a QNX OS update to the phone at/around the launch of the first QNX device in early 2012? You would instantly gain a 2nd QNX device on the market, as well as increase the QNX early-adopters (guinea pigs) PLUS do wonders to turn the corporate image around in the consumer's eye...

Sure, it may require some extra work...but I'm thinking the risk-reward would justify it...(of course, this assumes it is technologically possible...)

i think rim has enough 'guinea pigs' for QNX with the playbook. when the next QNX phone launches, it will be perfect and free of bugs.
    08-24-11 05:21 PM
    Rim is scrambiling to keep up with the other platforms. The release of the latest devices has not gone well so far. Why release a new OS with very little support for apps that work. I think this is a great device but I feel left out without certain apps I use on a daily basis. You don't want to disappoint the consumer on a launch like this. I think QNX will be a year or more down the road.

08-24-11 05:31 PM
    First qnx phone wont even have a keyboard its going to be a full touch screen devic. It will be a while before we see a Bold type phone with QNX
    08-24-11 05:39 PM
    Rim is scrambiling to keep up with the other platforms. The release of the latest devices has not gone well so far. Why release a new OS with very little support for apps that work. I think this is a great device but I feel left out without certain apps I use on a daily basis. You don't want to disappoint the consumer on a launch like this. I think QNX will be a year or more down the road.

What makes you think that the release of the latest devices has not gone well so far?
    08-24-11 05:43 PM
    First qnx phone wont even have a keyboard its going to be a full touch screen devic. It will be a while before we see a Bold type phone with QNX
    Based on what, your crystal ball?
    08-24-11 05:46 PM
    The make money selling new hardware.
    Because they have a PR nightmare on their hands...and a possible solution to swing that in the other direction would be to 'throw' customers a bone...save some customers some $ up front, in lieu of what you'll make off them down the road - it's not a new strategy (see Amazon and Apple for current, working examples)

They pretty well have their hands full now.[/QUOTE]

Understood - but not something easily fixed/corrected...come on, business/project management 101, LoL; certainly not a 'valid' excuse...[/QUOTE]

You are dreaming. People will flock to RIM's first QNX phone and they have no intentions of "throwing us a bone" with a retro QNX version for the 9900. But if you feel better thinking so, who am I to tell you differently!

I also scares me that RIM may "hurry" a QNX phone to the market early next year. Sounds like another playbook disaster which darm near put RIM out of business. What a waste of resources and it will never make RIM any money.

I suspect we will get a QNX phone 3rd or 4th quarter 2012.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-24-11 at 05:51 PM.
    08-24-11 05:48 PM
    There is a member here "iwork4rim" who claims to work for RIM and I believe he mentioned that it will be upgradable.
    08-24-11 06:01 PM
    i just find it hard to believe that they would release these devices now and not make them upgradeable for software that comes out in 6 months. And i doubt rim will hurry qnx phones out. they have it on the playbook and its pretty flawless imo so how much harder will it be to put it on a phone?
    08-24-11 06:06 PM
    There is a member here "iwork4rim" who claims to work for RIM and I believe he mentioned that it will be upgradable.
    Was this supposed to be funny?
    Because it was to me.

08-24-11 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD