Don't bash if I'm completely wrong, but in the future, when QNX phones from RIM are being released, would there be even the slightest remote chance of OS 7 devices, including the 99XX series, getting a QNX OS? It's just a thought and has got me thinking whether RIM MAY consider it or not. I, personally, think it would be badass. Then again, that's my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 09:42 PM
    No chance at all, os7 devices do not have the capable hardware for it.

09-08-11 09:46 PM
    Think of it as trying to run windows 7 on your machine made for windows 95.

09-08-11 09:49 PM
    its not as bad as what people are making it out to be. dont be surprised if rim announces os7 devices will run QNX. if 1.2 ghz devices can run android they can run QNX. without a hickup... believe me on that one
    09-08-11 09:59 PM
    Ok guys... a LOT of different devices run QNX from slot machines to navigational systems etc. etc. So hardware is not an issue. There are plenty of things out there that run QNX that dont even have a quarter of the processing power as the OS7 phones do.

I think what will be holding RIM back as for letting QNX run on the current OS7 phones is the fact that they have to code the QNX OS on the hardware that will be in the new phones specifically.

The new phones will have new processors which, in turn, will need new instruction sets. Every processor has different instruction sets, some more or less. So why would RIM support an old processor, which will most likely be a year old and the last of its kind, when they release QNX Mobile?

You see, picture it this way... They know what processor they are going to use, they create the QNX OS to run a certain number of supported instruction sets for the processor. They add features to the OS that needs certain instruction sets to run properly...

Now the old OS7 phones processors arent capable of these new instruction sets, not because the processors arent capable of running QNX but because RIM didnt code the new OS for the old processors. Therefore if they wanted to bring QNX to the OS7 phones they would have to find a work around to get certain aspects of the new QNX OS to run properly on the old OS7 phones which lack the needed instruction sets that are provided on their new hardware.

RIM is a business, they arent going to waste their time trying to get their new OS running on old phones as a half-baked OS. They will code their new OS to run on their new hardware and future hardware.

Thats my take on it anyway. Im not good explaining things and In my head this makes a lot more sense that what I've typed but I hope you all can understand.
    Jake Storm and llamax like this.
    09-08-11 10:40 PM
    ^Also adding on to that, RIM said themselves os 7 devices will not support QNX.
    09-08-11 11:01 PM
    I think another reason that people are forgetting is that if they made QNX for OS 7 devices, those with OS 7 devices won't upgrade.

llamax likes this.
    09-09-11 12:24 AM
    so the new os7 with qnx will be called os8 and it will only be released on new devices?
    09-09-11 04:20 AM
    so the new os7 with qnx will be called os8 and it will only be released on new devices?

If they were smart, they should completely breakaway from the old os naming to better show that this a completely different os.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-09-11 08:57 AM
    i would be very happy if my 9930 could run QNX or whichever software RIM decides to release next. But I understand if the hardware can't support it by then.
    09-09-11 09:17 AM
    If they were smart, they should completely breakaway from the old os naming to better show that this a completely different os.
    They did, it's called QNX!
    Playbook doesn't run OS8...
    09-09-11 09:27 AM
    The same question: Can we install playbook OS 1.0.7 on 9900?
    The same answer: NO
    09-09-11 09:34 AM
    I wouldn't understate them. Afterall, nobody was expecting the 9900/9930 pleasant surprise so stay tuned.
    llamax likes this.
    09-09-11 04:10 PM
    its not as bad as what people are making it out to be. dont be surprised if rim announces os7 devices will run QNX. if 1.2 ghz devices can run android they can run QNX. without a hickup... believe me on that one
    I am not sure the issue would be that the devices can or can't run the new OS. It would seem to be more that RIM does not have the resources (or want to commit the resources) to putting the new QNX OS on these OS7 phones. It took long enough getting OS7 ready.

I would think right now RIM's resources are all pointed towards QNX on new hardware. And marrying the new phones to the PlayBook's capabilities to provide something unique in the market.
    09-09-11 04:21 PM
    if im not mistake QNX is a unix system, which can run on almost anything, so hardware requirement will be whatever the OS limits (i.e its features will require certain power restraints).
    as it stand with the current hardware on a 99** device it would easily run the likes of windows 7 ect... if it were possible to run said OS.

Its more likely that RIM wont allow the support to force upgrades.. they wont make any money from all of us 99** owners just updating their os.. but if we all bought new phones that makes $$$$ or ���� or €€€€€ to please the rest of the EU lol
    09-09-11 04:33 PM
    I predict that the QNX phones will have significantly increased bridge capabilities and features. My hope is that RIM will add those same features to OS 7 as much as possible as they continue to support it. I anticipate that the bridge integration of OS 5 & 6 will plateau pretty much where it is right now.
    09-09-11 06:35 PM
    I predict that the QNX phones will have significantly increased bridge capabilities and features. My hope is that RIM will add those same features to OS 7 as much as possible as they continue to support it. I anticipate that the bridge integration of OS 5 & 6 will plateau pretty much where it is right now.
    Yes I think (hope) what we'll see is the phone and tablet will act as one. The bridging will be transparent. Tablet needs data access and the phone provides it. End of story. And by then perhaps the 3rd party devs will do some interesting things with apps that use the tablet and phone together. Right now I can only think of Poynt as doing this.
    09-10-11 12:03 AM
    To be honest it sucks that the BB7 devices can't run QNX but lets enjoy what we have now because to be honest there is a very high chance that QNX might not come out for a LONG time, with that being said I really hope the QNX devices gives RIM the much needed edge over the competitors, We all want RIM on top again!
    09-10-11 01:26 AM
    Ok guys... a LOT of different devices run QNX from slot machines to navigational systems etc. etc. So hardware is not an issue. There are plenty of things out there that run QNX that dont even have a quarter of the processing power as the OS7 phones do.

I think what will be holding RIM back as for letting QNX run on the current OS7 phones is the fact that they have to code the QNX OS on the hardware that will be in the new phones specifically.

The new phones will have new processors which, in turn, will need new instruction sets. Every processor has different instruction sets, some more or less. So why would RIM support an old processor, which will most likely be a year old and the last of its kind, when they release QNX Mobile?

You see, picture it this way... They know what processor they are going to use, they create the QNX OS to run a certain number of supported instruction sets for the processor. They add features to the OS that needs certain instruction sets to run properly...

Now the old OS7 phones processors arent capable of these new instruction sets, not because the processors arent capable of running QNX but because RIM didnt code the new OS for the old processors. Therefore if they wanted to bring QNX to the OS7 phones they would have to find a work around to get certain aspects of the new QNX OS to run properly on the old OS7 phones which lack the needed instruction sets that are provided on their new hardware.

RIM is a business, they arent going to waste their time trying to get their new OS running on old phones as a half-baked OS. They will code their new OS to run on their new hardware and future hardware.

Thats my take on it anyway. Im not good explaining things and In my head this makes a lot more sense that what I've typed but I hope you all can understand.
    I agree with your comment on RIM probably not running QNX on their older devices if the hardware doesn't bring out the true capabilities of QNX
    09-10-11 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD