Hello,

I've recently upgraded to BBM 7 on my Bold 9900. I had a little problem initially with the installation of BBM 7 which I thought I could fix with a full-on phone restore from a backup I have made prior. After figuring out I had to manually delete the faulty instance of BBM on my phone through the application manager, I finally managed to install BBM 7.

That's where the good news ends. My BBM contacts have all disappeared and I had no luck restoring them using the "one time only" restore feature. I have tried restoring via email with no luck, as well as BlackBerry Protect. I am at a dead end here and I'm wondering if there's some way to get my BBM contacts back.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.
    12-10-12 10:48 AM
    With BBM7, the contacts are managed via your BBID. Were you prompted to update your BBID when you installed an ran BBM7?

Also, you can try connecting to BBDM and doing a custom restore of just BBM contacts from a previous phone backup. I've found that to work in the past. Comes in real handy when my Calendar entries get doubled or completely erased after an OS update lol
    12-10-12 11:30 AM
    With BBM7, the contacts are managed via your BBID. Were you prompted to update your BBID when you installed an ran BBM7?

Also, you can try connecting to BBDM and doing a custom restore of just BBM contacts from a previous phone backup. I've found that to work in the past. Comes in real handy when my Calendar entries get doubled or completely erased after an OS update lol
    Thanks for the reply.

I have backups of the Messenger contacts on my phone but BBM 7 refuses to restore them. I thought of trying to reinstall an older version of BBM to get my contacts back up to speed again but I have no luck with that either. I tried to restore BBM from a backup I did a few days before BBM 7 came out but it said now all my contacts are connected to my BBID. Any other suggestions?

Update:

I still have no luck with restoring my BBM contacts, although the restore file is still valid for other things. BBM 7 refuses to use my previous backup due to a conflict with the BBID, which has none of my BBM contacts oddly enough. My only option is to downgrade to a previous version but I do not know where or how to do that. Any help with this is highly appreciated.
    Last edited by palavidyadaran; 12-10-12 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Update
    12-10-12 07:45 PM
    My only option is to downgrade to a previous version but I do not know where or how to do that. Any help with this is highly appreciated.
    Just connect your device to DM, click on "Applications", and you can downgrade to the BBM version that came with your OS.
    It will most likely ask you to downgrade your core applications due to the new BBID being v7.3 and the latest available on an OS (at least on .794) is v7.1.

When done, restore your info, upgrade BBM OTA again by "overwriting" the OS version, update BBID OTA again to v7.3, and hopefully you're where you want to be.

That's how I would do it.
    12-10-12 09:06 PM
    Just connect your device to DM, click on "Applications", and you can downgrade to the BBM version that came with your OS.
    It will most likely ask you to downgrade your core applications due to the new BBID being v7.3 and the latest available on an OS (at least on .794) is v7.1.

When done, restore your info, upgrade BBM OTA again by "overwriting" the OS version, update BBID OTA again to v7.3, and hopefully you're where you want to be.

That's how I would do it.
    Thank you. Will give that a try.

Update:

I went into the application manager on BBDM and saw an option to downgrade. I clicked apply and after the phone rebooted I tried restoring and it still wouldn't let me. The downgrade option is no longer visible as well.
    Last edited by palavidyadaran; 12-10-12 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Update
    12-10-12 09:11 PM
    Thank you. Will give that a try.

Update:

I went into the application manager on BBDM and saw an option to downgrade. I clicked apply and after the phone rebooted I tried restoring and it still wouldn't let me. The downgrade option is no longer visible as well.
    Exactly what did you choose to downgrade? Was it the core downgrade for BBID? Was it the downgrade for BBM? Both? What version of BBM shows on your device? If it downgraded already there will no longer be an option there to do so again. Have you tried to open BBM and log in with your BBID?
    12-11-12 08:39 AM
    I'm having the same problem. When I was on OS6 and upgrades to BBM7 it was working fine. Then it asked me if I wanted to upgrade to OS7.1 so I did, and now after entering in my BBID in BBM, it goes to this screen where it says Restoring Blackberry. There is icon thingy moving around in a circle as if it's working/doing something, but nothing happens. I've tried to delete it on my device and on BBDM and then down load BBM7 again and nothing, same thing over again, Restarting the device doesn't do anything, battery pull does nothing. I'm stuck. I'm at the point where I would at least like to go back to the previous version of BBM.

Need help here please.
    12-11-12 06:45 PM
    Hmmmm...Since having ran the betas before it became official, I've NEVER experienced an issue as per getting my contacts back. I sometimes did however have issues having rejoins in groups. When it restores your BBM contacts and the groups are being 'compiled' it will say you have joined the group again, having never really left. No biggie. I can't think of anything other than resorting back to an old version of BBM and saving your contact list to the SD card...wow I honestly have no idea for the life of me what the resolution to this could be...Sorry folks.

EDIT!!!

Try to sign into you BlackBerry ID prior to setting up BBM 7!!!!! I remember one of the people in my groups said it had worked for him!!! I just remembered
    12-11-12 07:00 PM
    I'll try that and let you know.
    12-11-12 07:14 PM
    Man, still nothing, I deleted BBM7, signed on to BBID from the setup area. Then tried to get back on BBM...and it pretty much makes you sign in to your BBID again, it says that you're signed to your BBID and shows my email address associated with it, then asks you if you want to restore BBM, so I click okay, and it goes back to that same screen where it is showing that it is 'loading/working' "Restoring BBM" but nothing happens.
    12-11-12 07:28 PM
    for those having problems with bbm 7 and will like to downgrade back to bbm 6.2.0.56 Os 7.1 (let me know if it works)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9531298/FileChute/bbm.jad
    Last edited by Diok_Mhf; 12-13-12 at 10:30 AM.
    12-11-12 07:43 PM
    I had a similar experience. BBM update went fine but my contacts were gone. I was able to restore my contacts from an email address, but the icon for each contact was 'dim' and messages would not send. I ended up deleting and re-adding all my contacts and everything is working now, though this would have been a much bigger problem a couple years ago when I had dozens of BBM contacts rather than the 10 or so I'm down to now.
    12-11-12 10:01 PM
    The download keeps failing
    12-12-12 12:45 AM
    But there is actually nothing like an email restore in the new BBM
    12-12-12 01:10 AM
    hi
    i have 2 blackberrys both registered 2 the same email address.. 1for family and work and 1 for friends and networking.... this has never been a problem up until now...
    i have upgraded to this new bbm 7.0 and now everything has gone pear shaped...i updated the friend bb yesterday no issues... done the work 1 2day and now all my contacts from the friend bb have jumped 2 the work 1.....im trying to now restore them back to the other bb and its tryna tell me that my id isnt valid and telling me the answer to my security question is wrong and all kinda rubbish.... how do i get my bbs back to the way they were???
    12-12-12 04:24 AM
    now i transfeered them back..but gotv the same issue with da other bb now..kmt
    12-12-12 05:05 AM
    You can only utilize your BBID on a single device at a time.
    Each device that you sign into with your BBID will bring all of your information to that device.
    Not possible to use the same BBID on 2 separate devices simultaneously.
    12-12-12 07:09 AM
    Try www.rroyy.com and go to the old software section to get BBM6.

What I did to get around this, since upgrading to 7.1.0.794 caused BBM7 to hang on restoring contacts, is:

Uninstall BBM7
    Install the latest BBM6 from rroyy's site
    Reinstall BBM7
    kidvirgo likes this.
    12-12-12 06:17 PM
    I can vouch that if you follow the above posts instructions it does work. I haven't upgrade to .794, but doing this with .746 works.
    hytran likes this.
    12-12-12 08:56 PM
    I just read this thread and did all the solution but still nothing happen. It restoring bbm since last night but nothing happen. I've done uninstalling bbm 7, install bbm 6 and then re-install bbm 7. Any other suggestion?? Thank u.
    12-14-12 08:34 AM
    trying to follow your thread as it the only one of the we that address the same problem i am having after i tried upgrading to bbm 7. ie first of all i couldnt find the icon after the upgrade, then i deleted the app and reinstalled then the icon appeared but took me through a reinstall my contacts process (from email using my bbid), this process ran all night but never did anything. eventually it canceled and said cannot restore contact because server has failed which has now been going on for 4 days. I have looked at rroyy's site but all that happens when i click on a link to download is it comes up with a whole lot of text ? totaly lost and confused - please help
    12-16-12 06:21 AM
    I had the same issue. Here's hhow I fixed it.

I un-installed BBM7
    I installed BBM 6.2
    Using my remote restore and the email addresses I had registered for remote backup, I restored my BBM. You can also selectively restore using Desktop Manager.
    Once all contacts were up, I re-installed BBM7 and once installed, I re-booted device.
    When I opened BBM7, I was prompted for my BB I.D. And password.
    Voila, it was all there.

If I have an issue it is that there is no longer an option to do a remote backup using emails associated to the phone. I assume that BBM is now backing up on their servers but it was hanging for an hour on the "restore" screen which finally led me to do the above noted steps.

Hope that helps.
    12-17-12 06:35 PM
    Company phone, they did the restore with a new device. All of my contacts (telephone/email) have been restored, but not my bbm contacts. I have a .con file saved, but cannot find in the bbm options the "backup/restore" headings they used to have. Did this disappear with BBM7? where can I find this option. Doing a restore through BBDM also did not help. Using a Bold 9700
    12-21-12 11:34 AM
    something definitely weird going on. Sometimes can't restore any contacts from outlook (using DM latest), sometimes can't restore calendar entries... Just upgraded to 7.1.0.825 from 7.1.0.746 on my 9900.... Frustrating.
    01-17-13 03:25 PM
    This is happening to me now after upgrading to latest OS available and my BBM 7 will get stuck at restoring contacts... previously since beta already experience this. So download old version and upgrade to BBM 7 will be the way to get it fix...
    01-18-13 02:40 AM
38 12