Hi, have used a 9930 for several years running Gmail 2.07 standalone app without issue. Today, (1/12/14) I
    am getting an unexpected server response error message when attempting to log in. I am running latest OS
    for 9930.

I did try an uninstall and reinstall. No resolution of issue. Is there some configuration/setting issue i can
    adjust that might be preventing the connection? Would it be of any value to go back to my last backup
    using BB Desktop Restore and if so, what precaution should i take before i do that to get a 'clean' reinstall -
    of the version that worked last time i did a backup? Any help hugely appreciated. I do have gmail configured
    as my BB email client but actively use the standalone for convenience as it allows more functionality and access
    to all of Gmail's features than just having it configured as my BB email message provider.

Thanks!

Mike in Mich
    01-12-14 11:17 AM
    Google stopped supporting that app in November 2011 and obviously have now cut off the final few users who are still using it

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1733075?hl=en
    01-12-14 11:22 AM
    Google stopped supporting that app in November 2011 and obviously have now cut off the final few users who are still using it
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/1733075?hl=en
    Thanks. I'm curious though - since it worked as recently as yesterday - if there is a workaround that can revert my OS environment to whatever 'state' it was in that was allowing it to continue to work anyway...? Wonder if any others are still actively using it and if so, what i can do to restore it. This is obviously one of many idiotic Google decisions - that is a given - it's also another thing that's about to drive me into an Iphone or Android given the lack of BB support for 3rd Party stuff but i digress. Really wondering what technical maneuvers i can try to restore this -- i am no tech-head but i can imagine there are underlying OS settings or other variables that might be tweakable to make this work again - or absolutely not...?

Thanks!! Do appreciate your time!

Mike
    01-12-14 11:40 AM
    While i can download the original app again, when i attempt to install (reinstall) it - (2.07) i consistently get a hang on the error message: "Unexpected server response" disallowing
    me from loading the app/logging in, and proceeding with any settings to adjust for secure connection etc. - Any idea of how i can at least get this new installation to OPEN? (something
    i can 'clear' or setting that can be changed - that might be signaling that I am attempting to log into my gmail account from my blackberry ? At this point - only other option besides chucking the BB finally once and for all (and i wish i could do the same with Google just based on principle but it's functionality requires i use it) - is to go back to a previous backup of this BB and see if i can re-install Gmail 2.07 from that - though i don't know how that would make a diff.
    01-12-14 02:13 PM
    I am (was) using the older standalone Gmail app too (on my 9700). Recently I received an email from Google in each of my two Gmail accounts stating that the app would no longer be functional in 2014. Strange thing is that the emails were not in English (one was in Spanish, the other Korean), but I used translate to read them and, sure enough, they seem to be true. I'm getting the same error message you are when I try to refresh or sign in.
    01-12-14 06:13 PM
    Thanks. I'm curious though - since it worked as recently as yesterday - if there is a workaround that can revert my OS environment to whatever 'state' it was in that was allowing it to continue to work anyway...? Wonder if any others are still actively using it and if so, what i can do to restore it. This is obviously one of many idiotic Google decisions - that is a given - it's also another thing that's about to drive me into an Iphone or Android given the lack of BB support for 3rd Party stuff but i digress. Really wondering what technical maneuvers i can try to restore this -- i am no tech-head but i can imagine there are underlying OS settings or other variables that might be tweakable to make this work again - or absolutely not...?

Thanks!! Do appreciate your time!

Mike

Yeah I have my Gmail on my 9900 using the standard client and it lacks a few features. But on my Z10 it is rather more full-featured ... you could consider a BlackBerry 10 device?
    01-13-14 01:21 AM
    Why would you not just use BIS for Gmail? The client for BBOS is bulky, clunky, slow, and apparently now, 3 years later EOL.

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.1898
    01-13-14 01:26 AM
    Hi, have used a 9930 for several years running Gmail 2.07 standalone app without issue. Today, (1/12/14) I
    am getting an unexpected server response error message when attempting to log in. I am running latest OS
    for 9930.

I did try an uninstall and reinstall. No resolution of issue. Is there some configuration/setting issue i can
    adjust that might be preventing the connection? Would it be of any value to go back to my last backup
    using BB Desktop Restore and if so, what precaution should i take before i do that to get a 'clean' reinstall -
    of the version that worked last time i did a backup? Any help hugely appreciated. I do have gmail configured
    as my BB email client but actively use the standalone for convenience as it allows more functionality and access
    to all of Gmail's features than just having it configured as my BB email message provider.

Thanks!

Mike in Mich
    Why would you not just use BIS for Gmail? The client for BBOS is bulky, clunky, slow, and apparently now, 3 years later EOL.

01-13-14 01:27 AM
    Yeah I have my Gmail on my 9900 using the standard client and it lacks a few features. But on my Z10 it is rather more full-featured ... you could consider a BlackBerry 10 device?
    Gmail on BBOS (aka your 9900 and my old 9930) worked better than Gmail on BB10.

Why?

Because of quicker server update times for contacts/calendars/push email (aka basic PIM functionality) AND the ability to remotely search your gmail inbox, a feature lacking entirely in BB10.

So stick with BIS setup of your gmail on the 9930 and you will get a more rewarding experience out of it.

01-13-14 01:34 AM
    I've been using the gmail app on my work-provided 9300 for over a year. Great way of keeping personal and business things separate. I will miss this app. Guess it's time to move on.
    01-14-14 09:07 AM
    I've been using the gmail app on my work-provided 9300 for over a year. Great way of keeping personal and business things separate. I will miss this app. Guess it's time to move on.
    You know there are separate email icons for each account, and you can turn off what accounts show up in the "Messages" icon. The "separate" personal and business is already built into BBOS. No need for an EOL app.

01-14-14 09:15 AM
    You know there are separate email icons for each account, and you can turn off what accounts show up in the "Messages" icon. The "separate" personal and business is already built into BBOS. No need for an EOL app.

Not true in all cases. In mine and, I suspect, Corey's, our companies restrict the BBOS inbox to just the corporate email account. The app was the only way I could access Gmail (other than the abysmal browser). Yep--time to move on.
    01-15-14 10:08 PM
    Not true in all cases. In mine and, I suspect, Corey's, our companies restrict the BBOS inbox to just the corporate email account. The app was the only way I could access Gmail (other than the abysmal browser). Yep--time to move on.
    Ah damn. Maybe ask your IT dept very nicely, since you can essentially do the same thing to get around the IT policies via the app. Maybe you'll get the BlackBerry sympathy vote

01-15-14 10:16 PM
    OP back again... yep my conclusion is also 'time to move on' because i like full control over Gmail that the built-in BB 'integration' really doesn't give you - as PortableAlpha points out. Just damn stupid. No conceivable reason i can fathom why Gmail (or whomever) would have a need to jam an app which - yes, was orphaned but still worked fine. What was gained by doing that? So what if a handful appreciated it - how was it damaging Google for loyalists to keep accessing Gmail on the old app in a way that is in fact better and faster than having to go through the slow native BB browser. This ranting does no good i realize. I've been wanting to move up to something better than this Bold 9930 anyway - much as i like the intuitiveness of the BB environment. I guess whatever has a decent keyboard and signal strength in Android
    land is on my shopping list. Funny, i am a total Mac user but without the real keyboard i can't go Iphone. But, given their smug proprietary culture i don't see Apple breaking down and doing something as intelligent as a keyboard-equipped Iphone.
    01-16-14 06:21 PM
    Have you tried loading Gmail in your 9900 browser? It's pretty darn good ...
    01-17-14 06:46 AM
    OP back again... yep my conclusion is also 'time to move on' because i like full control over Gmail that the built-in BB 'integration' really doesn't give you - as PortableAlpha points out. Just damn stupid. No conceivable reason i can fathom why Gmail (or whomever) would have a need to jam an app which - yes, was orphaned but still worked fine. What was gained by doing that? So what if a handful appreciated it - how was it damaging Google for loyalists to keep accessing Gmail on the old app in a way that is in fact better and faster than having to go through the slow native BB browser. This ranting does no good i realize. I've been wanting to move up to something better than this Bold 9930 anyway - much as i like the intuitiveness of the BB environment. I guess whatever has a decent keyboard and signal strength in Android
    land is on my shopping list. Funny, i am a total Mac user but without the real keyboard i can't go Iphone. But, given their smug proprietary culture i don't see Apple breaking down and doing something as intelligent as a keyboard-equipped Iphone.
    Well it might be a coincidence but I think the person with the most to gain by turning off the legacy Google app is... Google! Sending this from my new Motorola android phone! Which works great for gmail but isn't so hot for exchange. Oh well.
    01-21-14 06:10 PM
    Well it might be a coincidence but I think the person with the most to gain by turning off the legacy Google app is... Google! Sending this from my new Motorola android phone! Which works great for gmail but isn't so hot for exchange. Oh well.

You got a brand new Android phone just because the Gmail app stopped working? Omg...
    01-22-14 01:11 PM
    You got a brand new Android phone just because the Gmail app stopped working? Omg...
    I'd grown very comfortable with typing on Android on my Nexus 7 tablet and honestly it's faster than the BB keyboard once you master swiping. With that no longer a hurdle, well, I switched. And the Moto X is a really nice device.
    01-22-14 01:20 PM
    Gmail on BBOS (aka your 9900 and my old 9930) worked better than Gmail on BB10.

Why?

Because of quicker server update times for contacts/calendars/push email (aka basic PIM functionality) AND the ability to remotely search your gmail inbox, a feature lacking entirely in BB10.

So stick with BIS setup of your gmail on the 9930 and you will get a more rewarding experience out of it.

Can i 'drill down' to check "All Mail" for example...in the BB interface - and switch gmail accounts on the fly to check other incoming mail... as well as go back and search years of
    mail? There's a user-friendliness of the standalone Gmail client that is just easier -that's why.

Like so many other things Google had to F with, (YouTube, the PC gmail 'experience' and on and on) it's a case of 'must change it to change it' - but hey that's another topic and tangent.
    01-23-14 07:36 PM
    Can i 'drill down' to check "All Mail" for example...in the BB interface - and switch gmail accounts on the fly to check other incoming mail... as well as go back and search years of
    mail? There's a user-friendliness of the standalone Gmail client that is just easier -that's why.

Like so many other things Google had to F with, (YouTube, the PC gmail 'experience' and on and on) it's a case of 'must change it to change it' - but hey that's another topic and tangent.
    What you're wanting is easily doable by setting up multiple gmail accounts on BIS, not to mention remote gmail search for looking for old mail not on the device.
    01-23-14 07:38 PM
    I'd grown very comfortable with typing on Android on my Nexus 7 tablet and honestly it's faster than the BB keyboard once you master swiping. With that no longer a hurdle, well, I switched. And the Moto X is a really nice device.
    Dude I hear ya. I have to keep an OS 9 Mac around just to keep using certain apps in a recording studio that no new products have come close to matching. It's like...how come you use a Blackberry instead of an Iphone - me - mostly 'cuz of the physical keyboard... Y'know?
    01-23-14 07:38 PM
    What you're wanting is easily doable by setting up multiple gmail accounts on BIS, not to mention remote gmail search for looking for old mail not on the device.
    Great. Can they just help me do that at the "Blackberry Store"? (Just kiddin man; )
    Thanks. I think i get it and will give that a try.
    01-23-14 08:33 PM
    Great. Can they just help me do that at the "Blackberry Store"? (Just kiddin man; )
    Thanks. I think i get it and will give that a try.
    If you weren't aware of how email on a BBOS device works and taking into consideration of your join date of 2010, you might want to consider a different product

01-23-14 09:21 PM
    Nah I'm aware. owned one before joining this forum for a few years...i just don't like messing with phones and prefer simplicity - usually don't confront issues until something breaks - just my lazy ways i guess... BB has been fine and the email is simple enough. I actually do get it but i only like to know the absolute minimum that i HAVE to know. It's kinda like Mac and how it 'just does things' while Windows requires multiple conscious user acts to accomplish the same task - but i digress...
    (And yes, if a decent iphone with physical keyboard develops i'll probably be there - not that I have any love for the proprietary greed of Apple but that's yet another off-topic tangent).

So I DID just add a couple gmail accounts and i'm only confused about one thing - As far as the "Messages" option now, it will populate with the inbound mail of all - in this case- three - different accounts - as opposed to my primary gmail forwarder address only - (which sends me my domain-name-associated webmail (main email address for my business and the one i check regularly). These other gmail accts are for more occasional correspondence - and tho i know you can log in to each gmail acct separately, i don't want/need the emails for these two 'secondary' email accounts getting mixed-in with my main email - in "Messages." Is there a
    way to prevent certain gmail accounts from appearing in "Messages" - See this is another reason it was nice to just be able to log-in to the other accounts in a separate email client - not fancy but it kept it simple.

Thanks! Not trying to be difficult- really - just working through it and trying to learn.
    01-23-14 09:42 PM
    Nah I'm aware. owned one before joining this forum for a few years...i just don't like messing with phones and prefer simplicity - usually don't confront issues until something breaks - just my lazy ways i guess... BB has been fine and the email is simple enough. I actually do get it but i only like to know the absolute minimum that i HAVE to know. It's kinda like Mac and how it 'just does things' while Windows requires multiple conscious user acts to accomplish the same task - but i digress...
    (And yes, if a decent iphone with physical keyboard develops i'll probably be there - not that I have any love for the proprietary greed of Apple but that's yet another off-topic tangent).

So I DID just add a couple gmail accounts and i'm only confused about one thing - As far as the "Messages" option now, it will populate with the inbound mail of all - in this case- three - different accounts - as opposed to my primary gmail forwarder address only - (which sends me my domain-name-associated webmail (main email address for my business and the one i check regularly). These other gmail accts are for more occasional correspondence - and tho i know you can log in to each gmail acct separately, i don't want/need the emails for these two 'secondary' email accounts getting mixed-in with my main email - in "Messages." Is there a
    way to prevent certain gmail accounts from appearing in "Messages" - See this is another reason it was nice to just be able to log-in to the other accounts in a separate email client - not fancy but it kept it simple.

Thanks! Not trying to be difficult- really - just working through it and trying to learn.
    Yes, in the message options, you can select which ones appear in the main Messages box, versus going to an email account's individual icon.

01-24-14 12:32 AM
31 12