Ok so I have had a 5S since Oct. My wife and kids all had i devices years before me. I use a BB for work (mando) and switched personal device to 5S. Up front I will tell you I am a big Mac fan, anti-MS anything except for Office Suite items.

At first I was very impressed with the user interface and the icloud isms. Then the honeymoon was over.

- I do not care about FB and social media to the point where I spend not more than 5-10 minutes speed reading about useless crap. (I do use it to keep up with a few organizations)
    - I hate forced updates that cannot be ignored.
    - Switching between apps is horrible.
    - Contacts are not easy to manage.
    - Cut and paste feature requires a level of dexterity I do not have.
    - What is up with not being able to close out Apps without swiping? Sorry but that is just odd.
    - Had to pay for alarm ringtones (till I learned how to use garage band, but why?)
    - Cannot modify calendar notifications if anyone else sent the 'invite'.
    - If everyone else is using imessage, and you do not, messages get split up instead of staying in a conversation.
    - Calendar invites just show up on calendar even if you do not accept?
    - Even with the switch set to silent, alarms go off? WTF?
    - Skeptical about security, not sure why. Just no real confidence.
    - Siri is on some serious drugs! If you saw the Lego Movie and laughed at that segment you know exactly what I mean!
    - and on and on blah blah...you get my point.

Yes I am a mid 40s male ( I think I had to many beers when I created my Username), professional aviation program manager with fingers that have been a mechanic most of my life so the touch screen is an issue. lack the dexterity to function well with the touch screen. Yep I am biased but trainable, sort of. The cards are stacked against me, ADD, ADHD, PTSD, OCD, impatient, short tempered retired USMC.

I still carry my personal 9930 in my briefcase bc it has a lot of PWs I refuse to hand jam into the the Keeper app. I will get them by attrition...maybe. I also still carry a BB Curve as a work phone so the mini USB chargers are everywhere.

I am getting used to it but I hate formatting emails and text (I do like the talk to text software, it works as advertised) The number one reason for switching was no reliable GPS Map Apps for the BB. It all started when Verizon quit supporting VZ navigator. It was not the best GPS, but functioned. (oh yeah, I am not a Google fan for anything other than a search engine). I think Google is the real world 'Skynet'.

So I like these things about the "i"
    - GPS
    - Level APP
    - Camera (It is my note taking device and for all of my kids stuff). NOTE the company BB does not have a camera or I would just carry one phone.
    - Facetime is cool for traveling.
    - Apps work as advertised.
    - I run so I like having a multitude of accessories available such as arm bands, running trackers, etc.

Cannot really think of anything else I like?

I really hope BB survives. The business model and ROI is not real clear here. I can see a Q?? or maybe Z30. I will give the 5S a few more months, not sure why though... Oh yeah, I spent $300 on a entertainment device pretending to be a productive device. I should give it to my 8 year old. Maybe I could have Verizon reactivate my perfectly fine Motorola StarTac? It still picks up a digital signal. Yep, old.

I usually just troll the forums, so probably will not even see the replies. Hope it was worth a read. I am tired so the form and fit of this rant is horrible.

As a sidebar, I only have to charge the 9930 about once a month now as the radio and wifi are left off.

thanks CB for keeping the faith.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-29-14 09:48 PM
    Well said mate

However, i have used and owned many "i" products too, and to be fair, they do have their qualities and their shortcomings but one thing for sure is, they are not built for productivity nor multitasking ... period

I was also a huge fan of Android OS when it first came out because i worship open source, but the fact that Android has been prostituted buy the likes of HTC and Samsung had me hate all Androids. the point of using an open source OS is to make an amazingly affordable (if not free) solution/product to users but that was not the case for Androids.

Companies spend more time on the design and the specs of the devices and over looked the main priority ... THE BLOODY OS !!!

I don't care if the App Store or the Play Store has reached a zillion apps! this is not why i buy a premium device, i buy it to COMMUNICATE & PRODUCE !!!

Productivity is not just the ability to switch between apps or having an app to cover your every need, productivity is the ability to produce something using the least number of utilities, quickly and easily with no restrictions. this is why i love BB and been a faithful user for many many years.

BUT !!! Apple and Android they are serving their purpose commercially and pumping billions of $ to their companies, this is what BB needs to perfect now.

This is another comforting rant for you my friend, you are not alone out there

Cheers ...
    04-30-14 01:28 AM
    Don't give the 5S a few more months, just sell it and get a BB10 phone
    04-30-14 01:34 AM
    *snip*
    - Even with the switch set to silent, alarms go off? WTF?
    *snip*
    If you don't want the alarms going off when the phone is on silent, you disable the alarm. That is one of the features/bugs that I and many others like about Android, BBOS, BB10, iOS, webOS, and Windows Phone. The alarm is a level one notification. If you put the phone on silent before bed and it silenced the alarm that you needed to wake up the next morning, wouldn't you be mad when you woke up late? On BBOS you can have either silent (everything off except level one emails and the alarm) or all notifications off.
    Last edited by Soul_Est; 04-30-14 at 08:40 PM.
    04-30-14 07:07 PM
    Btw welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using CB Forums mobile app
    04-30-14 08:06 PM