Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Post-OS7.1- Cannot Access name@vzw.blackberry.net

Help! I'm at my wit's end (and according to the incompetent staff at my local Verizon stores, they claim they no longer offer Blackberry support ... Whaaaat?!) In short, I got an ultimatum message from my device (9930, Verizon) that I needed to update to OS7.1 a few weeks ago. Since then, I've had a host of issues -- most I will live with until I can finally rid myself of this satanic device. Unlike other updates, OS7.1 messed up my WiFi set up and deleted all three of my email accounts. I've been able to restore all but the name@vzw.blackberry.net one which is becoming an increasingly frustrating issue.

I'm 99% sure I'm using the right password because I often get an error message that the device "cannot connect to blackberry's server". This is a personal device and not connected to any office enterprise server.

Verizon claimed there was a way to fix this on RIM's site, but I haven't found anything and I would rather eat dirt than call RIM which always results in a 2+ hour phone call outsourced to "country du jour" who make the people in the Verizon store look like brain surgeons.

Has anyone else had this issue after upgrading to OS7.1? Also, this version appears to have a ferocious appetite for data. I was pretty annoyed to see that the update (which I didn't want) used up over half of my month's data allotment. If anyone has tips on how to keep data usage down, please let me know -- I try to connect to my home WiFi when I am there but that doesn't seem to do much good. I can't afford to upgrade my plan right now. Thanks in advance for your guidance! : )

Global Posts
    35,360 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Data usage isn't different, only that you used an OTA upgrade, which I would never recommend. Do you have a PC at home?

You should be able to fix your VZW email account at:

https://vzw.blackberry.com/
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° `°•.¸¸.•° Born to ™ °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for the quick reply. No luck ... I tried fixing the VZW email account on the link you provided but it gave no clues as to username (no idea if they were looking for vzw email address or other name). I tried them all. I finally attempted to request my password, using my PIN. It generated a new password to be sent to the device and it's invisible. I even tried forwarding the message to my good email account. Nothing, blank. So now I'm essentially locked out of the account as the password has been reset and I can't access the message. Now what? Also, I did download OS7.1 via my PC, so not sure why I saw the surge in data. Thanks again. Any other ideas how to restore this account?

Global Posts
    35,360 Global Posts
    PIN

You could try closing and reopening the email. I've had the blank body before, and that solved it. As for the email addy, calling *611 should resolve it. I've had nothing but positive experiences with VZW customer service.

Regarding the data spike. How much? If you have BBM groups, and had to rejoin after the OS install, that would explain quite a few Mb. I've seen over 30Mb myself.

Z/Q Warrior °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° `°•.¸¸.•° Born to ™ °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Abuser

I, too, would recommend contacting Verizon via *611. The support I've received for my various BB devices over the years has been wonderful.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

The VZW staff was probably correct. Verizon’s STORES don’t, but VZW’s telephone support people definitely do. And that’s the only way you can reach RIM, since RIM will not speak to you directly unless if you previously had called them through VZW and had an open case with them.

And you’re much better off NOT dealing with any VZW local people since most of this you really have to do by yourself. But your missing device private email account is something they have to help you with first. After that, you can (and should) be able to whip the rest of it into shape.

BTW, what the VZW store person may have meant was for you to use the VZW Blackberry service web portal to resend your service books (including your device’s private email account), and to check and/or re-enter your other email accounts on the device. He was probably too busy playing with his Iphone to look up the URL.

Other than that, I wonder if maybe you created a “Blackberry ID” that may have changed the email addresses associated with your device? As long as you have wireless service, still have a BB data plan, and your device PIN hasn’t changed, all your services should have come up at the same time exactly as they were before the upgrade.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Tried reopening the email, no luck. I'm slammed with job interviews this week so just don't have a window to call *611. My past experiences with VZ customer service (via phone) have been mind-numbing. The data spike was massive. Literally, from 3 to 70 in a single day (I'm NOT a heavy data user but I keep a close eye on it). That happened on Day 3 of my billing cycle, so I'm using my phone as little as possible. I rarely use BBM groups, so doubt that caused the spike.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thanks for your reply as well. Hope to try that Wed or Thurs. Momentum picked up on my job search so my interviews have been top priority this week. Don't have 2+ hours* to invest in VZ telephone support (based on prior experiences that after 2+ hours got transferred to RIM and had to start from scratch). I'll keep you all posted though. Appreciate all the suggestions!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

You hit the nail on the head. The store people (4 stores) were beyond useless. I got the URL on my own and now I'm completely locked out. I just don't have windows of time to be on the phone with these people who are so full of hubris that they can "fix it" that they refuse to transfer you to RIM until they've tried all their useless tricks. I'm so frustrated. Hopefully I will have more time later this week. In the store, they don't even hear what I'm asking and just dismiss the issue saying they don't offer Blackberry support. Ugh.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

PS Re --> "Other than that, I wonder if maybe you created a “Blackberry ID” that may have changed the email addresses associated with your device? As long as you have wireless service, still have a BB data plan, and your device PIN hasn’t changed, all your services should have come up at the same time exactly as they were before the upgrade." I had both a blackberry ID and a blackberry email and I thought exactly the same thing. Didn't work though.

Global Posts
    35,360 Global Posts
    PIN

The stores are never a place for help. If they're a service center, you may be able to get a battery swapped, or in the old days a trackball replaced. Had a funny experience about 6 months ago at at&t. His solution to a 9810 with unresponsive touchscreen......hold the end call button till it turned off, and was positive it would be fine. This is forevermore known as "The Terrell Turnoff". Needless to say, we walked out with a different 9810.

VZW needs to handle the email issue, since it comes from them, along with the service books. If it was a problem with all emails, then they might need RIM involved.