Hello all,

My 9900 is rapidly turning into the most frustrating phone I have ever owned.

Here's why:

1) Massive memory leaks - down to 2mb in three days.
    2) Sluggish, sticky, frozen performance. Very unresponsive in all departments including dialling.

I'm beginning to despite it deeply.

I am asking for help please. Currently I have the 7.0.439 software. It was such a bloody mission to update last time I've erased the hideous procedure from my memory, so would a kind forum member please:

1) Post a link to an OS build that I can upgrade to and hopefully cure this truly horrible memory leak

2) Tell me how I delete the vendor file

3) Just tell me how to update my BB with it. From what I recall, the new desktop manager is f****** awfull.

Sorry for the negative tone, it's just that I've had it with this stupid phone and it's wasting far too much of my work time trying to update the bloody software. I just need some simple guidance please.

God willing, the problems with this phone will be eased and I can just cope with it till upgrade time and GTFO.

All the best,

Dom
    12-14-11 11:52 AM
    2MB in 3 days in't a "massive memory leak".
    12-14-11 11:57 AM
    With 768mb of ram I don't see how 2mb would effect it.

I have mine 5 days now and haven't noticed any lag in performance.
    12-14-11 12:01 PM
    I'd start by not using the latest OS builds. I have been using the stock OS from Rogers (Canada) and I haven't had any problems. Check your app list, there might be one that is causing the memory leak. Maybe you can list here what are the apps you have loaded all the time.
    12-14-11 12:05 PM
    IMO you have an app bleeding the memory and causing the sluggishness. Mine works great with no battery pulls ever.
    Desktop manager works great and the OS upgrade works great and takes about 15 min.
    You seem to have a hate for this device (and maybe even RIM) so my suggestion is to put up with apple or android BS instead.
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    12-14-11 12:07 PM
    He stated "down to 2mb" and not "lost 2mb"
    emirozmen and dodger_moore like this.
    12-14-11 12:10 PM
    Hello all,

My 9900 is rapidly turning into the most frustrating phone I have ever owned.

Here's why:

1) Massive memory leaks - down to 2mb in three days.
    2) Sluggish, sticky, frozen performance. Very unresponsive in all departments including dialling.

I'm beginning to despite it deeply.

I am asking for help please. Currently I have the 7.0.439 software. It was such a bloody mission to update last time I've erased the hideous procedure from my memory, so would a kind forum member please:

1) Post a link to an OS build that I can upgrade to and hopefully cure this truly horrible memory leak

2) Tell me how I delete the vendor file

3) Just tell me how to update my BB with it. From what I recall, the new desktop manager is f****** awfull.

Sorry for the negative tone, it's just that I've had it with this stupid phone and it's wasting far too much of my work time trying to update the bloody software. I just need some simple guidance please.

God willing, the problems with this phone will be eased and I can just cope with it till upgrade time and GTFO.

All the best,

Dom
    I see variances of -40mb to even -80mb in a matter of hours, and my 9930 doesn't seem to notice. You would appear to have a true leak - might want to start checking those 3rd party apps before loading a new OS, lest you spend the time only to have it reoccur.

As far as "the best OS", since I don't have a 9900 I'd a poor judge of others' experience with OS's on it.

Some like .540, others say good (and bad) about 7.1.0.74

2MB in 3 days in't a "massive memory leak".
    With 768mb of ram I don't see how 2mb would effect it.

I have mine 5 days now and haven't noticed any lag in performance.
    "Down to", not "down two". He has 2mb left after three days.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 12-14-11 at 12:22 PM.
    12-14-11 12:14 PM
    "Down to", not "down two". He has 2mb left after three days.
    My mistake. With out a list of apps that are installed, it's hard to help the OP.

You seem to have a hate for this device (and maybe even RIM) so my suggestion is to put up with apple or android BS instead.
    +1 the tone of the post doesn't really invite someone to provide any real help other than to say, all of the infstructions requested are posted already. SEARCH.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-14-11 at 12:23 PM.
    12-14-11 12:19 PM
    My mistake. With out a list of apps that are installed, it's hard to help the OP.

Wipe and reload the OS, instructions at foiund in the link in my sig.
    You were bound to slip someday. Actually, reloading the OS first might be a better idea - if it's still happening after that then it's most likely an app not playing nice.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-14-11 12:36 PM

+1 the tone of the post doesn't really invite someone to provide any real help other than to say, all of the infstructions requested are posted already. SEARCH.
    Be fair, the topic says 'please help' and I have apologised for the tone.

@express man - yes, right now I have a deep disdain for this device and I've explained why. Consumers are bound to feel hacked off with something when it's not working right and they have tried previous fixes. Don't be so sensitive!

Here is a list of my apps:

Twitter
    Shazam
    BB Maps
    BB Protect
    BB Personal Guardian
    Rotten Tomatoes (mobile website launcher)
    Dropbox
    Drive Safe.ly
    Kobo
    Evernote
    Ubertwitter
    7 Digital
    Photo Studio
    BBM

Anything here raising an red flags?

@Reubechs - thanks for reading for posting the links to those OSs, and for reading my post properly
    12-14-11 12:40 PM
    You were bound to slip someday.
    Not the first, certainly won't be the last

Twitter
    BB Maps
    BB Protect
    BBM
    I have those installed currently without any issues. I tried the Photo Studio Ultimate that's free in App World and noticed a lot of spinning clocks. Deleted it within 15 minutes of installing it.

I'd reload the OS like I suggested, after a security wipe. The add them back individually and watch your device's performance.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-14-11 at 12:56 PM.
    12-14-11 12:50 PM
    Thanks PC Gizmo -

Photo Studio deleted, it didn't go quietly either - freezing, spinning clocks, reboot...

I'll security wipe the phone and reinstall the OS via apploader and monitor the performance over a couple of days.
    12-14-11 01:23 PM
    Thanks PC Gizmo -

Photo Studio deleted, it didn't go quietly either - freezing, spinning clocks, reboot...

I'll security wipe the phone and reinstall the OS via apploader and monitor the performance over a couple of days.
    Check out the threads about the OS's newer than 439. some people are having good luck with 540 and 585. If you need help finding links to either, let me know and I'll help you. I think 540 was taken down from the RIM/Carrier sites.

That Photo Studio, imo, is a resource hog.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-14-11 at 02:12 PM.
    12-14-11 02:09 PM
    Check out the threads about the OS's newer than 439. some people are having good luck with 540 and 585. If you need help finding links to either, let me know and I'll help you. I think 540 was taken down from the RIM/Carrier sites.

That Photo Studio, imo, is a resource hog.
    .540 can still be found on an official site:

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...E00E6386AE7F44
    12-14-11 02:13 PM
    .540 can still be found on an official site:

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...E00E6386AE7F44
    Now it's back? I thought they took it down?
    12-14-11 02:18 PM
    Now it's back? I thought they took it down?
    If you go via the service provders site is will only give you the .296 option. Got this link from the Vodafone UK 9900 forum earlier this week cos I needed .540 to copy out the radio file to hybrid with .585.

The link worked as of Monday this week.
    12-14-11 02:21 PM
    If you go via the service provders site is will only give you the .296 option. Got this link from the Vodafone UK 9900 forum earlier this week cos I needed .540 to copy out the radio file to hybrid with .585.

The link worked as of Monday this week.
    Good to know, it can also be found here:

Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe
    12-14-11 02:24 PM
    In 3 days?! That sounds like a program is robbing your memory, and you haven't done any battery pulls have you? Memory cleaner doesn't make a big difference but it does help, turn it on.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-15-11 12:13 AM
    I had a similar problem, and I can assure you that it is not normal. I'd wipe the phone entirely (DO NOT BACKUP) and install .540. That worked for me (FYI, installing .540 with a backup of my software caused the same leak to recur.).
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-15-11 06:49 AM
    How to upgrade BB OS (including deletion of vendor.xml-file):

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

Download OS .585:

BlackBerry Bold 9900 - Firmware-Updates und Support von Vodafone

.585 is the latest version, and was made official a few days ago. Most of the first user reports seem to be positive.
    .540 if you want to be on the safer side - it is out for some weeks now and seems to be fast, reliable and stable.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-15-11 07:19 AM
    My suggestion is to go to options/device/application management and scroll left or right to the cpu, usage and memory screens. They should show you wwhere the hog is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-15-11 07:55 AM
    Hello crew, an update:

Yesterday installed 7.0.0.585 -

1. Phone instantly became snappy and responsive. This thing is FAST.
    2. Memory boosted right up to 205mb. It used to be 158mb after a reset.
    3. Memory is stable over 18hrs, maybe a fractional loss. Before it would have plummeted.

I'll update after another 18hrs, thanks for your help, this thread may help others.

Btw - the CPU usage screen is very helpful too.
    12-15-11 09:25 AM
    Hello crew, an update:

3. Memory is stable over 18hrs, maybe a fractional loss. Before it would have plummeted.

I'll update after another 18hrs, thanks for your help, this thread may help others.

12-15-11 09:28 AM
    Hello crew, an update:

Glad to hear you're in better shape.
    12-15-11 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD