Has anyone successfully taken a photo of a document?

I use my 9650, quite frequently, as a portable "scanner". It takes very sharp, full screen shots of single page documents (even receipts). From there, I can send the photo to whomever needs it... so it's like a fax, too.

So, can the 9900/30 take acceptable photos of text/documents? Any examples out there?

(and just to be clear, I was thinking of getting a Playbook if the 9930 is an inadequate "scanner".... .but the Playbook also has the fixed focus lens????)
    08-27-11 07:46 PM
    Has anyone successfully taken a photo of a document?

I use my 9650, quite frequently, as a portable "scanner". It takes very sharp, full screen shots of single page documents (even receipts). From there, I can send the photo to whomever needs it... so it's like a fax, too.

So, can the 9900/30 take acceptable photos of text/documents? Any examples out there?

(and just to be clear, I was thinking of getting a Playbook if the 9930 is an inadequate "scanner".... .but the Playbook also has the fixed focus lens????)
    I haven't been able to take anything nearly as good as my 9650 could. I was thinking of re-activating my 9650 (its pretty beaten up) but the close up quality is so much better.

However this phone is better in so many other ways...tough choice.
    08-27-11 07:50 PM
    That's why I was thinking of getting a playbook ... .so that I could get a decent camera. (and have an excuse for a playbook... but the playbook suffers the same issue)
    08-27-11 08:11 PM
    ...I meant to add... perhaps I'll keep the 9650... and get the Playbook. That way, I can keep myself interested in "the new gadget" while waiting for a proper QNX phone.

Being with Verizon, I'm not going to get the torch-with-keyboard. My understanding is that this torch has a proper camera.... so I'm kinda stuck.
    08-27-11 08:13 PM
    Just took the pictures below from my 9900 runing .317. Was about 1 foot away from my screen, no flash, first one was taken with close up settings and second one taken with text settings. Taking a clear picture is all about lighting and the zoom. I had 1x zoom activated and here are the results.
    08-27-11 08:14 PM
    Yeah, I really don't get what RIMM was thinking with no autofocus, but as I said the phone is superior in many other ways, I'm trying to look past it.
    Optimus-Prime-618 likes this.
    08-27-11 08:17 PM
    Trust me... it pains me to skip this 9930 phone. Money is no issue.... contract is no issue..... it's just the camera.

I do love my 9650.... it can sometimes be laggy, but rarely is it painful. For the most part, it's speed is totally fine.
    08-27-11 08:23 PM
    Just took the pictures below from my 9900 runing .317. Was about 1 foot away from my screen, no flash, first one was taken with close up settings and second one taken with text settings. Taking a clear picture is all about lighting and the zoom. I had 1x zoom activated and here are the results.
    Same specs as your pics, only with the 9650.

rstrathman likes this.
    08-27-11 08:24 PM
    Its not the best camera, yea but it is still a great camera. Maybe not as great as an autofocus camera, but i dont really take pictures of documents of text personally. The couple times ive taken a picture of a doc is if im in a hurry and i took a picture of a list of supplies or groceries and the camera works great for that. Im speaking on behalf of myself though because i know some people take pictures of documents more often then i do. if its an important document, use a scanner. if its a quick job, the phone is fine for that.
    08-27-11 08:57 PM
    All you putzes who are ragging on the "no autofocus" camera don't know squat about it. The EDOF lens isn't some cheap POS that doesn't take good quality pictures. You can zoom this thing and get nice CLEAR and CLOSE shots. So quit your bitchin!
    08-27-11 09:00 PM
    Its not the best camera, yea but it is still a great camera. Maybe not as great as an autofocus camera, but i dont really take pictures of documents of text personally. The couple times ive taken a picture of a doc is if im in a hurry and i took a picture of a list of supplies or groceries and the camera works great for that. Im speaking on behalf of myself though because i know some people take pictures of documents more often then i do. if its an important document, use a scanner. if its a quick job, the phone is fine for that.
    I completely understand, its just nice to take up close pics of things to review later...product tags, business cards, informational flyers, receipts things like that where a scanner is not even an option.

I still have some time in my return policy, I'm heavily considering it, but feel extremely picky for returning an otherwise perfect phone.
    08-27-11 09:00 PM
    All you putzes who are ragging on the "no autofocus" camera don't know squat about it. The EDOF lens isn't some cheap POS that doesn't take good quality pictures. You can zoom this thing and get nice CLEAR and CLOSE shots. So quit your bitchin!
    Our money, our right to be picky. If the results were as good, it wouldn't be a problem, but they simply aren't there. I've seen some okay results, but why isn't it a step up?

I love my BlackBerry regardless, I love the platform, but for the money I was hoping for something as good or better than I previously had.
    08-27-11 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD