Had my 9900 since Monday, 'tis bleddy brilliant in every way, feels amazing and the keyboard really is another level of goodness. This is the first device (including the PlayBook!) I've had that I think would really get me through a couple of tough days at work with no computer - it really is a mobile office and so nice to look at, use, and type on.

But - is it just me or is anyone else experiencing monstrous memory leaks? In four days I've gone down from 150mb to 70mb - huh, that's a **** of a lot more than my old 8310 ever managed to leak, I'm quite worried and disappointed by this.

Anyone got a cure for this? Yes a reboot fixes it, but please we deserve more than this. I gave up the Galaxy S2 for this phone. What are my solutions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 06:08 PM
    Any particular apps that you have installed? How about what build is installed? I have not encountered such error, and I do have my share of installed apps.
    08-24-11 06:19 PM
    Thanks for the reply VVoltz.

Build: 7.0.0 1465

Apps: Installed Wikitude (could this be the problem?), Twitter, Evernote, WordPress, Copter and Fall Down and BB Travel.

Software update option says I am up to date, wonder what is causing this?

08-24-11 06:29 PM
    The only solution you have is to get a different phone. We are still talking about the BlackBerry OS here and while it's labeled "OS 7", it's not much different than OS6, hence the memory leaks.
    It doesn't take away from everyday performance so I wouldn't put too much stock into the leaks, it's just the nature of the old OS. When QNX arrives there will be no such situation as previous & current BlackBerry owners are used to.
    Just enjoy the kick arse 9900 and handle the low memory when it comes up. Not a big deal.
    08-24-11 06:33 PM
    That, and remember that memory is there to be used!
    08-24-11 06:36 PM
    Are you noticing performance issues or is this just a monitoring concern?
    08-24-11 06:38 PM
    That, and remember that memory is there to be used!
    Wow just wow....LOL

08-24-11 06:46 PM
    The only solution you have is to get a different phone. We are still talking about the BlackBerry OS here and while it's labeled "OS 7", it's not much different than OS6, hence the memory leaks.
    It doesn't take away from everyday performance so I wouldn't put too much stock into the leaks, it's just the nature of the old OS. When QNX arrives there will be no such situation as previous & current BlackBerry owners are used to.
    Just enjoy the kick arse 9900 and handle the low memory when it comes up. Not a big deal.
    That could work as a slogan for RIM!
    08-24-11 06:54 PM
    That could work as a slogan for RIM!
    Lol. I mean, I know the leaks are a PITA and all but nothing that truly changes the end user experience. I'm not saying it's acceptable or that it's ok that brand new devices leak memory like a sieve. But it is what it is.
    08-24-11 07:01 PM
    A memory leak is when you run out of memory due to a misbehaving app or OS... if you still have free memory then I would not consider that a leak.
    08-24-11 07:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies all.

Memory is surely there to be used - but if it's leaking out the back door, I can't use it

I'm noticing performance issues rather than just observing the drop in memory - the phone slows down, freezes, gets sticky and impacts on the basic functionality like making a phone call or sending an email.

After the reboot, it was flying once more.

It may not seem a big deal, but I don't want to be resetting my phone every 4 days - yes it's OS 6 with a posh frock on but I would have thought the hardware would be suited to it by now? My 9700 running OS 5 did not have this issue...

I'm not asking for a miracle cure and don't need another phone, this one is fine. I want to find out what's causing this and to stop it. Cheers.
    08-24-11 07:13 PM
    Just un install one app at a time and check to see if the memory is dropping. I would say its an app.

08-24-11 07:20 PM
    I havent reset or have done a battery pull since i loaded .317 four days ago and I am -1.5% in memory.
    08-24-11 07:20 PM
    Thanks for the replies all.

Memory is surely there to be used - but if it's leaking out the back door, I can't use it

I'm noticing performance issues rather than just observing the drop in memory - the phone slows down, freezes, gets sticky and impacts on the basic functionality like making a phone call or sending an email.

After the reboot, it was flying once more.

It may not seem a big deal, but I don't want to be resetting my phone every 4 days - yes it's OS 6 with a posh frock on but I would have thought the hardware would be suited to it by now? My 9700 running OS 5 did not have this issue...

I'm not asking for a miracle cure and don't need another phone, this one is fine. I want to find out what's causing this and to stop it. Cheers.
    I don't have a 9900, but I will by the end of next week. That being said, I would think losing 20 mb a day might be more than normal...I could be wrong but that would be my guess.
    08-24-11 07:26 PM
    Honestly, memory leaks shouldn't be a problem at this point but as CX, OS7 isn't that much different from OS6. Lets hope with QNX, it's truly a different beast entirely... they should maybe adapt app freezing/switching for 3rd party apps in QNX.
    08-24-11 07:30 PM
    It's still an early build. I'm thinking it will be improved with future updates.
    08-24-11 07:40 PM
    I'm running .340 and I rarely go over -1% memory. Wikitude installed.
    08-24-11 07:48 PM
    My 9780, 9650 (OS6) and now 9900 lose 2-3 mb MAX per day. I don't get why some people lose a lot more.
    08-24-11 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD