I have to say i really admire those who have stuck to their guns and still have a 2+ year old device.
    I actually loved my Tour even after 2 years. Before I killed it replacing the trackball, lol. I was so comfortable using it, felt good in the hand. I knew/know every in and out of OS5. It's like playing an instrument (I am a musician). Muscle memory.

So I can understand why some people prefer keeping their old comfortable, useful devices. From a messaging perspective, which is all that matters to some, the new phones don't have anything on the older ones (generally speaking).
    08-10-11 08:24 PM
    I'm disturbed by the fact that when Kevin unboxed his and showed the available device memory (brand new 9900 mind you) the memory was down to like 188mb. What?! My torch 9800 has like 280mb left and I have many app loaded. To me that is just unacceptable. I mean my gosh, IF RIM had "allocated" 256mb for the processor in the 9800, I dare say there wouldn't be any "dreaded clock" icons on the 9800 either!

I'm BlackBerry through and through BUT that was a absolute dissapointment.

I will NOT be "upgrading" anytime soon to a OS 7 device for the reasons stated above. Other then the wikitude browser, there isn't much difference to me. And with the fact RIM doesn't seem to care the app department is vastly lacking, I do care. Now the speculation is "they're waiting to develop apps for QNX", so if that's the idea, then my idea is hanging on to my cash and waiting. Meanwhile, this 9800 is still doing what I need it to do.

End of rant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 08:41 PM
    Let me explain:
    We've now seen cellphones for two decades and today's modern manufacturing capabilities have collapsed the prices of handsets down to the point where everyone can own a cellphone. Mobile carriers in 2011, no less, can't provide a stable, ubiquitous connection to each and every cellphone even after spending hundreds of millions of dollars on infrastructure while locking consumers into contracts and charging ungodly amounts for service.

For the amount of money poured into mobile communications, it's absurd that we still have problems with dead spots and dropped calls. But instead of complaining about the underlying network, its performance, and pricing, people bicker about which phone is better.

IMO, this is why in 2011, the state of technological advancement in mobile is still absolute ****e.
    When internet use and tethering started happening they slapped service charges on to compensate/deter use of data because the network couldn't handle the added traffic. Years later, your still charged for tethering, when they sell unlimited data packages.

I have not had a signal or dropped call issue in over a year and a half however
    08-10-11 08:44 PM
    If they go with a single core QNX phone, then its going to be certain death to RIM. I am certainly not buying another single core phone. If you want a true multi tasking phone, single core (unless its highly clocked CPU), will slow down other apps when they are running. Back when I got Pentium 3 and 4's. I constantly ran into issues where one app would freeze up my entire system (even with a 3ghz P4). When I upgraded to dual core, I almost never run into that issues.
    I may get bashed for what i am about to say but i mean no disrespect, I'm just trying to make a point.

To be honest this whole dual core craze was put in place by android phone manufactures to create a market niche vs the iPhone. Even since the real push of android by verizon with the original droid the marketing campaign has centered around the "droid does" iPhone doesn't. In today's talk that translates to 1GB of ram vs 512 or LTE capable vs 3g, dual core vs single core; again what iPhone lacks android has.

My point being, so far, the reviews for the 9900 attest to the scrolling and browsing being comparable to that of iOS which is the benchmark for most even in a world of dual core, 1GB ram super phones. In the end, as long as the experience of the 9900 is comparable to the best in class, i should not care a bit if the phone is 1.3GHZ vs 1.2GHZ and if not, then it is considered an epic fail..."insert curse of the manufacturer here."

I think like most people, i have bought into the marketing apple, vz, htc, etc have put out and it isn't until one experiences the device for oneself that an informative decision can be made.
    08-10-11 09:18 PM
    I think a lot of the problem is that a lot of the manufacturers and the media are chasing the next big thing, so consumers have been brainwashed into believing that certain conditions have to be met to make a product acceptable.

One example is dual core processors. Any phone that doesn't have dual core processors now is a dud, whether or not its OS properly supports multi-core processors. Another is screen size. Today we have screens at 4", but the phone makers are moving towards 4.5" screens. Acer even has a new phone that sports a 4.8" screen. Does anyone really need a phone this big in their pocket?

Where RIM excels is usability. They aren't interested in the spec race that the other manufacturers obsess over, they want to make a product that is actually useful and adds to the quality of everyday life. RIM is also the only manufacturer that is concerned about durability - their products routinely survive mishaps that would destroy other phones. Yet the tech blogs aren't interested in these pedestrian functions, instead they discourage people from taking these factors into consideration for a reason that alludes me.

RIM has the right ideas, but not the sex factor of other brands. That doesn't bother me, I just want a phone that suits my needs and there is only one company that is able to provide it. When my carrier tells me the 9900 is available, I'll be the first in line...
    Last edited by SharpieFiend; 08-10-11 at 09:32 PM.
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-10-11 09:28 PM
    I've spoken at length about how RIM needs to step up their game, etc but this phone is simply awesome. It will re-kindle any lost love of Blackberry you may have had, and I truly do mean that. The browser is awesome, the screen is gorgeous, the keyboard is absolutely the most perfect keyboard ever, it's sexy as ****, and it's extremely fast. Trust me, it will get great reviews. The biggest RIM hater of them all, Jonathan Geller of BGR, already said he loves it (check his twitter). This arguing about single core vs. dual-core is moronic... the iPhone 4 is the arguably the fastest phone on the market with a single-core 800MHz chip in it.
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-10-11 09:29 PM
    I plan to pick up a 9900 - my 9000 is on its last legs - I wasn't impressed with the Torch and held out for this. I figure by the time I am eligible for an upgrade again the QNX phones will have settled down into something that is stable with acceptable performance - I fear the first gen QNX phones won't have the horsepower to deliver all the functionality QNX promises.
    08-10-11 09:35 PM
    i think many of you are missing the real point of this phone. it is based around what many hard core BB users believe to be the best keyboard ever on a BB. and they have supposedly improved it and added a touch screen...and made it pretty fast over all. it's also thinner and lighter.

what's not to like? i would love 4g, but having a good keyboard is at the top of most BB lovers list. and i am excited about this baby. come on vzn and cut it loose!
    08-10-11 09:39 PM
    I just don't feel the excitement like from the others products I did.

I might consider waiting for QNX phones.

What about you guys?
    Really...the flagship vibrant was 7.2 mbps with a first gen 1 ghz hummingbird and no gps and the iphone was 800 mhz without the ability to maintain connections on phone calls. It feels better than that to me.
    08-10-11 09:42 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD