Hi,
    I've got a BlackBerry Bold 9900 on Optus (Australia) and it's currently running on OS 7.0.0.261 Bundle 1346 Platform 5.0.0.464, it also says 3G bands 1, 4, 8.
    I was wondering if I was able to update this OS without losing any functions, such as my 3G internet, or the ability to make calls and SMS'. Also will updating make the battery life more prolonged. I might sound amateur but I was also wondering how I will be able to do this? As I went into the software update section of my phone and it said no updates available, and as I use the BlackBerry Desktop Software with my Mac and it has no options available for me to check for the software update.
    Is this because I'm in Australia and that the update hasn't came here yet?
    I was also wondering if I was able to turn the push email of, like on my old iPhone 4 where I manually refreshed the app to get my new emails, as I have a feeling that the push email is draining my battery, and I turned the Push Browser off and it's still pushing emails to my phone. I know that it defeats one of the main purposes of having a BlackBerry but im not even working yet, so I actually don't need this feature.
    11-27-11 04:02 AM
    hey bbfan96,
    Seems like your Australian carrier hasn't got any official updates. You have two options:
    1-Download a leaked OS: OS 7.1: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service (7.1.0.74=
    OS 7.0: A) Multilang: Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe (7.0.0.540)
    .......... B) All-lang: Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe (7.0.0.540)
    2-Download an official OS: OS 7.0: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...34A229827A4E93 (Turkcell-7.0.0.540) -Dont forget to delete the Vendor.xml file located in App Loader file in your PC
    Note: You can't update to a leaked OS on your Mac, you should use Windows

I don't think you are able to turn push email off. I researched some about this and I wasn't able to find a solution. But I might be mistaken.
    11-27-11 04:23 AM
    I'm also on a mac. Thankfully I have many friends with netbooks who willingly share their computers for me to upgrade my bb OS.

Regarding your carrier still on that stock OS - wow, I thought my carrier is slow.

Upgrading the OS has saved me at times I've been out the whole day and beyond.

The push email in BB is so nice it is one of the primary reasons why you have a bb.
    On iphone my email was always on fetch and it annoyed me but it was the only way to get through a day-even with a mophie. BIS push email works so well I don't think it should be worried about - battery wise.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-11 04:44 AM
    Hi,
    I've got a BlackBerry Bold 9900 on Optus (Australia) and it's currently running on OS 7.0.0.261 Bundle 1346 Platform 5.0.0.464, it also says 3G bands 1, 4, 8.
    I was wondering if I was able to update this OS without losing any functions, such as my 3G internet, or the ability to make calls and SMS'. Also will updating make the battery life more prolonged. I might sound amateur but I was also wondering how I will be able to do this? As I went into the software update section of my phone and it said no updates available, and as I use the BlackBerry Desktop Software with my Mac and it has no options available for me to check for the software update.
    Is this because I'm in Australia and that the update hasn't came here yet?
    I was also wondering if I was able to turn the push email of, like on my old iPhone 4 where I manually refreshed the app to get my new emails, as I have a feeling that the push email is draining my battery, and I turned the Push Browser off and it's still pushing emails to my phone. I know that it defeats one of the main purposes of having a BlackBerry but im not even working yet, so I actually don't need this feature.
    I can't answer your question about updating the OS via DM with a Mac as I'm not familiar with the Mac version, but I can answer the push email bit - push email is actually saving your battery. BlackBerry's don't poll for email, they sit idle and email/messages are pushed to them. Browser push doesn't pertain to email, it's for browser messages such as RSS feeds being updated. The only way to turn email being pushed to you off is to shut off all connections or completely remove any email accounts from the device.
    11-27-11 04:55 AM
    Okay, but would my phones settings be completely changed ie: not being able to send/ receive calls, or no more internet. I think I've got Parallels Desktop on my Mac to get access to Windows, but it's really slow when I use it. I'll try use my sisters laptop then. I was also wondering if anyone knew when the OS 7.1 was officially going to be release, and is it going to be available on all Networks. My network is quite pathetic haha, I should've went with an iPhone 4S, but the BlackBerry's great, just the battery issue. And really? I thought push was using my battery up. With the battery issue, its not much of an issue but i'ld just like more battery like my Curve when I had it a couple years ago, the battery lasted 3-4 days! But thats because I didn't have BIS on it.
    11-27-11 11:42 PM
    Okay, but would my phones settings be completely changed ie: not being able to send/ receive calls, or no more internet. I think I've got Parallels Desktop on my Mac to get access to Windows, but it's really slow when I use it. I'll try use my sisters laptop then. I was also wondering if anyone knew when the OS 7.1 was officially going to be release, and is it going to be available on all Networks. My network is quite pathetic haha, I should've went with an iPhone 4S, but the BlackBerry's great, just the battery issue. And really? I thought push was using my battery up. With the battery issue, its not much of an issue but i'ld just like more battery like my Curve when I had it a couple years ago, the battery lasted 3-4 days! But thats because I didn't have BIS on it.
    The expected result should be your device receives updated software with contacts, calendar, email, internet, all settings etc intact. Again, I'm not familiar with updating the device OS with a Mac; but the end result should be what I just mentioned.
    11-28-11 12:58 AM
    Hi,

No, if you back up your phone first using Desktop Manager, then install the new OS then reload the backup all should be ok. You will however need to reload any apps that you may have downloaded via appworld.

HTH

Elcuolo
    11-28-11 01:00 AM
    Oh thanks for your help guys! Just another question, do you know when the actual OS 7.1 will be released because the link shown above doesn't work.

Thanks
    11-28-11 04:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD