To this day it still amazes me how many people still use the 9900.

After the Classic launched I thought I could get along without it. After 4 months I reactivated the 99 as a second phone.

Things I missed vs the Classic:

1) Ergonomic keyboard allows free natural movement of your thumbs.
    2) Lighted track ball is not required, but ads beauty to the antique.
    3) Small and light so it is very mobil. I'm able to put it in any pocket including my shirt pocket with out a cover or screen protector.
    4) Quality of the build. The stainless frame is a piece of art. Easy to disassemble and replace almost every part.
    5) The BBO7 Hub with multiple sharing. There is NOTHING close to the 9900 Hub.
    6) BBM07 and how it interacts with your social media's. BTW I made the mistake of updating the BBM and it***k it up. Anyone have a link to download the older version?
    7) Being able to lay on my back in bed and easily type because of its perfect balance.
    8) Notification icons for the number of emails, calls and messages.
    9) Removable battery where you can pop a battery in in a few seconds and have it reboot quickly.
    10) Spell check.
    11) I think the cursor is easier to find for cut and paste.

Things I don't miss:

1) The biggest thing I don't miss is the CrackBerry ads on the small screen that take up 25% of the screen space.
    2) Having only 350-400mb of free memory and battery pulls when it slows down.

The dual phones is a great combination. To bad the Classic wasn't a little lighter with better specs and a removable battery.

So.... what is your likes and dislikes?

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 09-16-15 at 05:14 AM.
    09-16-15 05:03 AM
    For me:
    1) Removible battery
    2) Compact size and portable
    3) The fantastic BB keyboard!
    4) Works like a rock in phone mode
    5) This beautifull notification color led (don�t want any phone without notificaction led)
    6) LCD best in class. Wonderfull! Day light is never a problem
    7) Very good sound and loud. Missed so much the volume and speaker sound when I have to change this phone
    8) Impressive body design, elegant, etc.
    9) OS 7 personalization. Notification hub.
    10) Advanve OS and Led! Never found in Blackberry 10 OS (don�t like OS 10) Never will have a bb 10 phone.

Don�t like it so much :

1) Camera quality (not the best camera around, but.. works for non pretentious purposes)
    2) The back pannel scratched easy and need protection.
    3) Resume call delay is not enought for me. I never know how long I�ve been talking because resume call delay is very very short
    4) A bit dated browser and software but.. is the price you have to pay having a 9900 today.
    5) Battery life and cappacity not the best in class. BB could do better with a larger 1500 mAh.
    6) Standby time not the best
    09-16-15 05:40 AM
    I actually love the phone... Best device I ever own....😃

Sent from my Venue 7 HSPA+ using Tapatalk
    AllanQuatermain and Mr4aces like this.
    09-16-15 02:19 PM
    Best thing about the 99xx?

* the best keyboard

* real BIS push for notifications

* outdoor readability

* data compression (good and bad)

* back lit trackpad. (I'm with he OP on that 1)

* really excellent coverage

* the ability to change the font and customize it!

(bonus round, worked the best with technology BlackBerry PlayBook which I still use today. )

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    Last edited by axllebeer; 10-06-15 at 11:32 AM.
    09-16-15 02:30 PM
    Just pulled out the old 9900 for the heck of it last night. I remember waiting in line for this beast at launch! Spent about 3 hours trying to get it to turn on lol. It has been sitting for a year or so...

It actually feels right in my hand! Love using this little thing! I just ordered all the parts to completely refurbish it to make it brand new as a tribute to how awesome of a phone it really is!

Love it!

Sent via SE Passport
    09-24-15 08:54 PM
    On a flight today I saw several people around me using a 9900 and an iPhone.
    9900 was built to last.

I still wonder if the fact that people are using 2 phones is a failure on the part of BlackBerry, or that those people would never leave the 9900 phone, no matter what type of new OS you designed into a similar build (I.E. The classic) that can replace the iPhone apps and needs, but fell short of doing so.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    09-24-15 09:03 PM
    To this day it still amazes me how many people still use the 9900.

After the Classic launched I thought I could get along without it. After 4 months I reactivated the 99 as a second phone.

1) Ergonomic keyboard allows free natural movement of your thumbs.
    2) Lighted track ball is not required, but ads beauty to the antique.
    3) Small and light so it is very mobil. I'm able to put it in any pocket including my shirt pocket with out a cover or screen protector.
    4) Quality of the build. The stainless frame is a piece of art. Easy to disassemble and replace almost every part.
    5) The BBO7 Hub with multiple sharing. There is NOTHING close to the 9900 Hub.
    6) BBM07 and how it interacts with your social media's. BTW I made the mistake of updating the BBM and it***k it up. Anyone have a link to download the older version?
    7) Being able to lay on my back in bed and easily type because of its perfect balance.
    9) Removable battery where you can pop a battery in in a few seconds and have it reboot quickly.
    10) Spell check.
    11) I think the cursor is easier to find for cut and paste.

Things I don't miss:

1) The biggest thing I don't miss is the CrackBerry ads on the small screen that take up 25% of the screen space.
    2) Having only 350-400mb of free memory and battery pulls when it slows down.

The dual phones is a great combination. To bad the Classic wasn't a little lighter with better specs and a removable battery.

So.... what is your likes and dislikes?

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    Yep , it is a solid device !
    Carry it along with a Z10.
    ( the 10 is the backup )
    Will most likely me replacing it before the Bold !

Try this link for BBM
    ( or for some other apps )
    www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/
    AllanQuatermain and Mr4aces like this.
    09-24-15 10:47 PM
    I love its heavy cold solid expensive feel. I always wanted a white one and am getting one now, like I NEED another BlackBerry! It's also got a real nice sounding speaker for enjoying music at low - to - medium volume when you're not carrying a bigger speaker with you. I probably will continue to fall back on my Curve 9360 on most days, though. They all do the same things right, give you notifications, quick to get from one task to another, can do everything in the background (within limits).

All the Bold really needed was a little more RAM, or whatever it's called.

Now, am I losing my mind, or do I correctly remember that the Bold 9900 CAN get FM radio if it's upgraded to 7.1? I use the radio feature alot and am going to try to get this working when it comes in. THIS one is not going to be an ATNT-branded phone. !!
    09-25-15 12:07 AM
    I correctly remember that the Bold 9900 CAN get FM radio if it's upgraded to 7.1?
    My Bold 9900 never had FM radio on OS7.1. Bold 9720 are native but 9900 never had
    09-26-15 05:29 PM
    My Bold 9900 never had FM radio on OS7.1. Bold 9720 are native but 9900 never had
    I think a lot of the Curves had it too. Perhaps the Bold 9790?

Correction, don't think any Bold did.

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    09-27-15 11:15 AM
    Radio FM has BlackBerry Curves 93XX series and 9220 and 9720.
    09-30-15 05:06 AM
    Agreed. The perfect work companion.
    09-30-15 05:09 AM

Things I don't miss:

That stainless bezel is brilliant -- and durable. I dropped mine in a parking lot once, sanded out a dent, and repolished with a metal polish, and you cannot see it at all.

The notifications. Best. Ever. As is the calendar.

Do you mean CrackBerry ads in the browser? I only ever visit the forums on the 9900 using Tapatalk, which works well. So I guess I'm missing out on reading breaking news, but the forums are easily accessed, and Tapatalk (and the CB app) are quite fast and responsive.
    10-02-15 10:08 AM
    I've used Classic side by side with 99 for going on 8 months. I still grab the old 99 when I need to KNOW the job will get done. Classic is an exercise in HOPE. Typically just hoping I can coax the oversized thing into doing what needs doing before its arbitrarily disorganized UI distracts my old brain into forgetting what needed doing to begin with... lol.

Our 99s were the evolutionary result of many years of intense experience. Experience that bb10 developers were inexplicably sequestered against from the beginning. QNX was purchased by BlackBerry, NOT the other way around. It's too painfully obvious that the QNX guys "in the trenches" had NO interest in BlackBerry and really couldn't understand why ANYone would want things like keyboards, toolbelts, etc. They still don't get it, imo.

One good example? There is NO way the guy responsible for their latest calendar routinely USES that thing himself! Lol.

My Classic, Z30 & PP are great surfers, miracasters, etc... BUT, when real work needs to happen, the 99 is in hand. The "toys" are along for the ride.
    10-04-15 06:44 AM
    Yep , it is a solid device !
    Carry it along with a Z10.
    ( the 10 is the backup )
    Will most likely me replacing it before the Bold !

Try this link for BBM
    ( or for some other apps )
    www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/
    Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 05:32 AM
    I have a Bold as a second phone (for when my Passport SE just "doesn't fit"). I LOVE the elegance, size, and rugged build! I like the Passport kb better because it's bigger, but I can still fly on the 9900.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    10-13-15 09:38 PM
    Best part? I still have mine in mint condition! Same with my Z10! Someone talked me into selling my last Q10 and kinda regretting it. Maybe I should sell these as well. I am sure someone would want some love since mine are used once a month just for updating and a charge

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2789
    10-13-15 09:53 PM
    So to break it down simply: the 9900 is only good for calling, texting and email?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 12:17 AM
    So to break it down simply: the 9900 is only good for calling, texting and email?
    Posted via CB10
    Well, to me its also an excellent music streamer. I use Pandora, Slacker, and Live365 apps (made for BlackbBerry 7) and they all work flawlessly. With some patience for letting it get revved up first it will stream video, and the browser may work better on some sites than others, I like having Opera Mini installed as a secondary browser.

I like it so much i just received a new one in white. Brand new and my new favorite phone, but no, not my favorite browser.

It has a nice speaker sound for its size, i have a 32G sd card in it with a nice little selection of offline music, and like to download talk radio shows too, i do plug it into an external speaker a lot. I lock it into 2G when streaming music for a more stable performance, dont ask me why that is, where I live the 4G phones have buffering hangups streaming music whereas the 2-3G phones do better, after the first two to three minutes of catch-up buffering.

In the other thread someone said you have to pay for bis, not true here, if i switch my sim card to my BB10s it figures it out automatically, same when i switch from BB10 to BB7, i do not have to contact my carrier at all.
    Last edited by to boldly go; 10-14-15 at 02:21 AM. Reason: BB10 not B10 autocorrect @+;$$!!
    10-14-15 02:16 AM
    The size of the 9900 is small and light enough that you can put it in your shirt pocket.

I never use the Classic for tunes. It's either the Sony MP3 or the 99.

Yesterday my hands were covered with grease, used the 9900 several times with no worries. All parts are cheap and easily R & R.

PIN 829A
    idssteve and AllanQuatermain like this.
    10-14-15 06:41 AM
    The size of the 9900 is small and light enough that you can put it in your shirt pocket.

I never use the Classic for tunes. It's either the Sony MP3 or the 99.

Yesterday my hands were covered with grease, used the 9900 several times with no worries. All parts are cheap and easily R & R.

PIN 829A
    Diesel fuel is rough on trackpad... lol. Easy, cheap & fast fix tho.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-15-15 01:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    I also prefer its calendar, contacts, music grouping strategy, BeWeather, Lygea RPN calculator app, its "hub" arrangement... even spreadsheet editing provides features still missing in bb10. Its real handicap is browsing. Certainly still workable but hit & miss depending on sites. Opera mini helps hith some sites... like Crackberry.com... lol. Lacking security updates, I no longer trust its browser with banking, etc. Fwiw.

My BB10 devices get used mostly for browsing and hdmi or Miracast. PP is superb PDF viewer. For large typing jobs, tho, I grab my 99. Still THE supreme single hander, imo.
    10-15-15 01:29 AM
    The 9900 hadles everything I need fantastic with one exeption: camera.

I often need to take pictures of documents or other small items, but without autofocus (9900 has a fix focus lens) it is impossible to get sharp good quality pictures of closeups or documents.
    anon(8063781) and Mr4aces like this.
    10-15-15 12:45 PM
    Having used the classic since it was released, there some advantages to the new OS, but non of them beat the core communications ability of the old 9900.

In addition, the old 9900 build quality is really very special, the classic in comparison is not that great. Also too big and heavy, and the tool bar implementation is not that great - OS10 was never designed for a tool bar.

My wife and I have been using OS10 for the past two years now, but still get lost in it sometimes. I can see why many jumped to iPhones.

Sadly the BIS service is increasingly unavailable, so our beloved 9900s have become museum pieces. Real shame.

We stuck with BlackBerry purely because of the possibility of a real 9900 replacement, but it never came and probably never will now. So loyalty is almost gone.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-18-15 03:52 AM
    Having used the classic since it was released, there some advantages to the new OS, but non of them beat the core communications ability of the old 9900.

In addition, the old 9900 build quality is really very special, the classic in comparison is not that great. Also too big and heavy, and the tool bar implementation is not that great - OS10 was never designed for a tool bar.

My wife and I have been using OS10 for the past two years now, but still get lost in it sometimes. I can see why many jumped to iPhones.

Sadly the BIS service is increasingly unavailable, so our beloved 9900s have become museum pieces. Real shame.

We stuck with BlackBerry purely because of the possibility of a real 9900 replacement, but it never came and probably never will now. So loyalty is almost gone.
    I so wish a new 9900 would come out. I love the size, design, feel, tool belt, etc. I'd use mine but the Internet is too darn slow, and for what I do for work I need a good connection.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 10:36 AM