I just passed the 7-day mark with my Blackberry 9930, and I am sad to say giving serious thought to returning it to Verizon. Never thought I'd be writing this, after enduring the 8330 World Edition for three long years.

Here's a rundown of what's not working:

1. Answering the phone - half the time calls are getting disconnected when I try to open the holster and answer. Not a lot of fun when you're driving or getting an important call from a client. Also a problem - when I open the holster (and calls are connecting) the phone is automatically picking up. What if I wanted to screen that particular caller and let it go to voice mail? Seems like there's no way to open the holster, look at the call, and then choose to answer.

2. Browser troubles - the interface seems buggy. Touching the screen doesn't work consistently with all websites (I'm talking about major sites with compliant code), button pressing and other execute commands don't work consistently with the touchpad. And then the little blue progress bar is darn near invisible -and I have 20/20 vision. Useless when I'm on the go.

3. Email program behaves inconsistently - when I click to open a message using the touchpad, sometimes it will open the message; other times it will sort the message list by headers or by sender if more than one item can be grouped together. WTH? If I ask to open a freaking message, open the message - don't do other things I haven't asked for. Oh, and if items can be grouped together, sometimes it will group these items together and other times it will just open the message.

4. Address Book interface - pressing on the touchpad while in a contact's record starts executing commands. Maybe this is part of OS7, I didn't have this problem on my 8330 World Edition running OS5

I am also not happy about the lack of application support, but so much has been said on this already. Just for the record - while this was somewhat excusable on my 8330 World Edition, it should not be happening on a so-called flagship model like the 9330. Not even LinkedIn for us business users???

I've been on the phone with Verizon (useless) and now have a trouble ticket in with Blackberry support. They are suggesting I re-install the OS in case it was corrupted. Having said that, it won't help the poor interface design.

I wanted a physical keyboard, and would have purchased an OS6 phone months ago if it weren't for the crap sound quality. All of this is leaving me very frustrated and disappointed. The keyboard was a must-have, but with all the headaches I am re-thinking this and seriously considering leaving BB for good.

Anyone else having issues?
    09-23-11 05:23 PM
    Take it back. I have had mine from VZ and have not had a single issue. They will give you a brand new one on the spot. You should not be having any problems let alone all of them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ngc123 likes this.
    09-23-11 05:45 PM
    I have a good one on Verizon. Just take it back. Its really a great device.

chiefbroski and ngc123 like this.
    09-23-11 05:47 PM
    You can disable the auto answering when you get the phone out of the holster... It's in the phone app go to option and it's there... For someone that had a 8330 for 3 years you should know better!

Sent from my Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Swamp55, ngc123 and Deu2e like this.
    09-23-11 05:49 PM
    1. Answering the phone - half the time calls are getting disconnected when I try to open the holster and answer. Not a lot of fun when you're driving or getting an important call from a client. Also a problem - when I open the holster (and calls are connecting) the phone is automatically picking up. What if I wanted to screen that particular caller and let it go to voice mail? Seems like there's no way to open the holster, look at the call, and then choose to answer.
    Go to your in-call settings and under auto answer calls, choose NEVER. Seems like it is set on OUT OF HOLSTER.
    chiefbroski and ngc123 like this.
    09-23-11 05:50 PM
    First off you change you settings on how the phone is answered. I use the holster and the only way I answer is to push the send key easy fix.
    When I first received mine I had to reload the OS and all my issues went away. I am coming from android and a past BB user and I must say this is the best BB to date. It sounds like you should wipe your device and reload the OS for starters.

As far as apps go most developers have been great responding to my questions and the apps are slowly coming in.

If you want a physical keyboard then this is the device you just can't compare it to a android or apple device!
    ngc123 likes this.
    09-23-11 05:55 PM
    Rtfm........
    DannyJK and Deu2e like this.
    09-23-11 06:03 PM
    I just passed the 7-day mark with my Blackberry 9930, and I am sad to say giving serious thought to returning it to Verizon. Never thought I'd be writing this, after enduring the 8330 World Edition for three long years.

2. Browser troubles - the interface seems buggy. Touching the screen doesn't work consistently with all websites (I'm talking about major sites with compliant code), button pressing and other execute commands don't work consistently with the touchpad. And then the little blue progress bar is darn near invisible -and I have 20/20 vision. Useless when I'm on the go.

3. Email program behaves inconsistently - when I click to open a message using the touchpad, sometimes it will open the message; other times it will sort the message list by headers or by sender if more than one item can be grouped together. WTH? If I ask to open a freaking message, open the message - don't do other things I haven't asked for. Oh, and if items can be grouped together, sometimes it will group these items together and other times it will just open the message.

4. Address Book interface - pressing on the touchpad while in a contact's record starts executing commands. Maybe this is part of OS7, I didn't have this problem on my 8330 World Edition running OS5

I am also not happy about the lack of application support, but so much has been said on this already. Just for the record - while this was somewhat excusable on my 8330 World Edition, it should not be happening on a so-called flagship model like the 9330. Not even LinkedIn for us business users???

I've been on the phone with Verizon (useless) and now have a trouble ticket in with Blackberry support. They are suggesting I re-install the OS in case it was corrupted. Having said that, it won't help the poor interface design.

I wanted a physical keyboard, and would have purchased an OS6 phone months ago if it weren't for the crap sound quality. All of this is leaving me very frustrated and disappointed. The keyboard was a must-have, but with all the headaches I am re-thinking this and seriously considering leaving BB for good.

1. To change holster removal behavior, hit the call button then go to options, In-call Settings, Answering calls. Also, either scrap the holster or attempt to stretch it loose a bit because that thing's seriously too tight.

2. Update to latest OS (7.0.0.362).

3. Update to latest OS (7.0.0.362).

4. Touching a phone number in your Contact's history will dial that number...it's an OS7/Touchscreen thing.
    ngc123, chiefbroski and BlazorBoy like this.
    09-23-11 06:16 PM
    Saying the phone has issues when you don't know how to use it? ok...
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-23-11 06:20 PM
    Yeah sure,

Newb wirh a laundry list of issues never before reported.. Go back to your droid please you Troll.
    I read the OPs post and could not find the word Troll anywhere, I may have missed it but you know we are here to help no matter what and it is the guys first post. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt and either try and help or pass and not answer at all. It is not better to tell everyone here you think the person is a troll and go back to his Droid, Just what we want at CB rather than to try and help someone reaching out.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-27-11 at 04:30 PM.
    09-23-11 06:20 PM

First of all I am not trying to play Saint but I am sorry about the Troll answer you got.

I would recommend going to Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com and clicking on the 9900/9930 and once you do on the left click "Get Started" From there look on the right where you will find where you can download in PDF a very extensive user guide on the device. Use this, ask ligit questions if you can't figure them out on your own and most people will be willing to help you here.

Most would just like to see you try and give things a chance and learn how to use it like we all did with our first Berry and then anyone would be happy to help.

That is how Kevin and the rest of the CB owners would expect people to act towards others.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-27-11 at 04:32 PM.
    chiefbroski, NinjaRAT and ngc123 like this.
    09-23-11 06:28 PM
    That's because you probably have the auto end call on holster option set

You can just as easily use the data arrows.

This is their default answer for everything, just like removing the battery and sticking it back in, regardless of what the actual problem is.

If you hate the interface, return the phone. Not even sure why I bothered responding considering you have already made up your mind...
    Last edited by papped; 09-23-11 at 06:33 PM.
    09-23-11 06:30 PM
    You know also one last thing, We have all had problems to different degrees with our BB devices but you just have to learn a new OS and expect things to happen but get calm on this thing and work thru it because once you find how to correct many of the issues that others have already helped you with you will love it and glad you never returned it to VZW. Just give it a chance. If after that you still have these issues and don't want to exchange the phone to prove it does work, then you have to make the call on your own what you want to do.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-24-11 at 06:04 PM.
    Rwil85 and ngc123 like this.
    09-23-11 06:37 PM
    Hi Folks,

These posts are giving me a little hope - much appreciated.

On the phone answering out-of-holster, I never had this on my 8330 and did describe this plus several related issues to Verizon tech. Taking the battery out (standard answer) did seem to resolve a couple of items but it wasn't until today that I was able to isolate there was still an issue. Again, not something I've ever encountered but your comments make it clear this is an RTM thing.

On the browser, e-mail and address book issues, I was thinking of installing (or reinstalling) the latest OS, but I like the idea of swapping at Verizon even better. I have spent enough time skunking this phone, let someone else deal with it. Based on what everyone is saying I'd be willing to give this a shot so the phone gets a fair trial. I'm not looking forward to spending more time and hassle at the store, but I really would prefer a BB with a proper physical keyboard with excellent sound quality. The sound quality on this phone, BTW, is the best yet of any BB's I've tested. My wife concurs.

I had a bad learning curve on the 8330, but it was more along the lines of getting used to the BB interface. I realize there's some learning when you switch to an OS two generations newer, and while some of that is annoying, it is nothing next to the frustration felt when dealing with glitches.

As for the doink who thought I was a troll, every board has a couple of people who jump to snap conclusions without taking time to think. I'm just glad that the rest of you showed yourselves and demonstrated what this community is all about. As a thank-you I will be posting some excellent old-skool ringtones. WIll keep you posted on next steps.
    09-23-11 07:12 PM
    Hi Folks,

These posts are giving me a little hope - much appreciated.

On the phone answering out-of-holster, I never had this on my 8330 and did describe this plus several related issues to Verizon tech. Taking the battery out (standard answer) did seem to resolve a couple of items but it wasn't until today that I was able to isolate there was still an issue. Again, not something I've ever encountered but your comments make it clear this is an RTM thing.

On the browser, e-mail and address book issues, I was thinking of installing (or reinstalling) the latest OS, but I like the idea of swapping at Verizon even better. I have spent enough time skunking this phone, let someone else deal with it. Based on what everyone is saying I'd be willing to give this a shot so the phone gets a fair trial. I'm not looking forward to spending more time and hassle at the store, but I really would prefer a BB with a proper physical keyboard with excellent sound quality. The sound quality on this phone, BTW, is the best yet of any BB's I've tested. My wife concurs.

I had a bad learning curve on the 8330, but it was more along the lines of getting used to the BB interface. I realize there's some learning when you switch to an OS two generations newer, and while some of that is annoying, it is nothing next to the frustration felt when dealing with glitches.

As for the doink who thought I was a troll, every board has a couple of people who jump to snap conclusions without taking time to think. I'm just glad that the rest of you showed yourselves and demonstrated what this community is all about. As a thank-you I will be posting some excellent old-skool ringtones. WIll keep you posted on next steps.
    So in light of your new found hope and willingness to do what we had all suggested i think you should give us all a thanks on our answers and just keep the hope and if anything else comes up after you lrean your device then we would be happy to help you.

You are not the first or will be the last and like I said....Even though I did not say it, Sorry for the one guy with the troll remark.

We all like thanks and it shows your appreciation forgetting back on the right track. Keep us informed.
    09-23-11 07:25 PM
    TO THE OP
    Hi.
    Try to install a leaked os like the .353 or return the phone for a new one.
    09-23-11 07:35 PM
    TO THE OP
    Hi.
    Try to install a leaked os like the .353 or return the phone for a new one.
    No offense dude but you gave the same exact answer to 2 different people and wiping a new device before you learn how to use it is not always the answer. There are many other ways to go about problems before you wipe a device.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 10-01-11 at 03:57 PM.
    austriker likes this.
    09-23-11 07:41 PM
    I can they that my experience so far with 9900 is just great!!! evertything works
    09-24-11 02:59 PM
    Yeah sure,

Newb wirh a laundry list of issues never before reported.. Go back to your droid please you Troll.
    Well damn .... that wasn't real helpful now was it ? What the heck was trollish about the OP's list? It looked to me (the way I read it) that the OP had some problems with the phone and god knows I do too - my suggestion would be to haul that thing back and get an exchange.
    Last edited by BGK; 09-24-11 at 03:29 PM. Reason: wording problem
    ngc123 and austriker like this.
    09-24-11 03:29 PM
    Some of those aren't real problems though... More like not knowing where options are.

But if you hate the UI, why bother? No point in everyone wasting their time

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-24-11 03:33 PM
    .. OP.. I'm sure you've managed to handle the device properly right?! .. The best way to learn about and get use to your new gadget is to play around with it, go through all the options (settings) and read forums in case there are things you are not familiar with.. Blaming the device for your own ignorance is the same as blaming yourself for making the purchase which you should have thought about..

*peace

9930 - 7.0.0.XXX - on Tapatalk
    09-25-11 08:54 AM

have you tried to calibrate touch screen? there is a calibration option from what i saw today playing in the options.
    09-25-11 01:22 PM
    I'm returning this phone today - first chance since my post. Lots to try once the phone is swapped.

Looks like helpful posts can get thanked - now I see what one poster said about making sure to thank people. I'll do this as soon as I can.

I am surprised at the number of trolls, but with this many members it makes sense. Again, glad they are in the minority and discouraged when they behave badly.

More ringtones to follow....
    09-25-11 02:13 PM
    ****...now i see why u had an 8330 for 3 years...try fisher price for your next phone
    Great sell it and move on. Then you won't have to worry about spending all of your free time writing in forums about how bad your phone is....Problem solved.

Adios!
    Yeah sure,

I love how anyone who "puts down" Blackberry in a negative way gets the ban hammer..but these above "helpful" posters get to contribute (if that's what you call it).

The OP clearly stated they had been using a 8330 for 3 years. I'm sure that thing was running OS4 (if not earlier) and judging from the thread..the OP probably does not have a myriad of knowledge. But as soon as someone comes in with some problems or concerns..we get people jumping all over them being ignorant.

Way to treat new members

09-25-11 02:42 PM
    You know also one last thing, We have all had problems to different degrees with our BB devices but you just have to learn a new OS and expect things to happen but get calm on this thing and work thru it because once you find how to correct many of the issues that others have already helped you with you will love it and glad you never returned it to VZW. Just give it a chance. If after that you still have these issues and don't want to exchange the phone to prove it does work, then you have to make the call on your own what you want to do.
    Very sound advice Jag! With a new device and Os people are getting frustated because it doesn't or (they) can't get it to work as well as their old bb. Be patient, read and interact with it. It won't work as good as the old one until you get up to speed. Once you do it will flat out bury your old blackberry.

09-25-11 04:22 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD