Not Happy With My 9930
I just passed the 7-day mark with my Blackberry 9930, and I am sad to say giving serious thought to returning it to Verizon. Never thought I'd be writing this, after enduring the 8330 World Edition for three long years.
Here's a rundown of what's not working:
1. Answering the phone - half the time calls are getting disconnected when I try to open the holster and answer. Not a lot of fun when you're driving or getting an important call from a client. Also a problem - when I open the holster (and calls are connecting) the phone is automatically picking up. What if I wanted to screen that particular caller and let it go to voice mail? Seems like there's no way to open the holster, look at the call, and then choose to answer.
2. Browser troubles - the interface seems buggy. Touching the screen doesn't work consistently with all websites (I'm talking about major sites with compliant code), button pressing and other execute commands don't work consistently with the touchpad. And then the little blue progress bar is darn near invisible -and I have 20/20 vision. Useless when I'm on the go.
3. Email program behaves inconsistently - when I click to open a message using the touchpad, sometimes it will open the message; other times it will sort the message list by headers or by sender if more than one item can be grouped together. WTH? If I ask to open a freaking message, open the message - don't do other things I haven't asked for. Oh, and if items can be grouped together, sometimes it will group these items together and other times it will just open the message.
4. Address Book interface - pressing on the touchpad while in a contact's record starts executing commands. Maybe this is part of OS7, I didn't have this problem on my 8330 World Edition running OS5
I am also not happy about the lack of application support, but so much has been said on this already. Just for the record - while this was somewhat excusable on my 8330 World Edition, it should not be happening on a so-called flagship model like the 9330. Not even LinkedIn for us business users???
I've been on the phone with Verizon (useless) and now have a trouble ticket in with Blackberry support. They are suggesting I re-install the OS in case it was corrupted. Having said that, it won't help the poor interface design.
I wanted a physical keyboard, and would have purchased an OS6 phone months ago if it weren't for the crap sound quality. All of this is leaving me very frustrated and disappointed. The keyboard was a must-have, but with all the headaches I am re-thinking this and seriously considering leaving BB for good.
Anyone else having issues?
- 09-23-11, 06:45 PM #2
Take it back. I have had mine from VZ and have not had a single issue. They will give you a brand new one on the spot. You should not be having any problems let alone all of them.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- 09-23-11, 06:55 PM #6
First off you change you settings on how the phone is answered. I use the holster and the only way I answer is to push the send key easy fix.
When I first received mine I had to reload the OS and all my issues went away. I am coming from android and a past BB user and I must say this is the best BB to date. It sounds like you should wipe your device and reload the OS for starters.
As far as apps go most developers have been great responding to my questions and the apps are slowly coming in.
If you want a physical keyboard then this is the device you just can't compare it to a android or apple device!
- 09-23-11, 07:16 PM #8
2. Update to latest OS (22.214.171.1242).
3. Update to latest OS (126.96.36.1992).
4. Touching a phone number in your Contact's history will dial that number...it's an OS7/Touchscreen thing.
- 09-23-11, 07:20 PM #10
Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-27-11 at 05:30 PM.
- 09-23-11, 07:28 PM #11
I would recommend going to Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com and clicking on the 9900/9930 and once you do on the left click "Get Started" From there look on the right where you will find where you can download in PDF a very extensive user guide on the device. Use this, ask ligit questions if you can't figure them out on your own and most people will be willing to help you here.
Most would just like to see you try and give things a chance and learn how to use it like we all did with our first Berry and then anyone would be happy to help.
That is how Kevin and the rest of the CB owners would expect people to act towards others.
Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-27-11 at 05:32 PM.
- 09-23-11, 07:30 PM #122. Browser troubles - the interface seems buggy. Touching the screen doesn't work consistently with all websites (I'm talking about major sites with compliant code), button pressing and other execute commands don't work consistently with the touchpad. And then the little blue progress bar is darn near invisible -and I have 20/20 vision. Useless when I'm on the go.I've been on the phone with Verizon (useless) and now have a trouble ticket in with Blackberry support. They are suggesting I re-install the OS in case it was corrupted. Having said that, it won't help the poor interface design.
If you hate the interface, return the phone. Not even sure why I bothered responding considering you have already made up your mind...
Last edited by papped; 09-23-11 at 07:33 PM.
- 09-23-11, 07:37 PM #13
You know also one last thing, We have all had problems to different degrees with our BB devices but you just have to learn a new OS and expect things to happen but get calm on this thing and work thru it because once you find how to correct many of the issues that others have already helped you with you will love it and glad you never returned it to VZW. Just give it a chance. If after that you still have these issues and don't want to exchange the phone to prove it does work, then you have to make the call on your own what you want to do.
Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-24-11 at 07:04 PM.
These posts are giving me a little hope - much appreciated.
On the phone answering out-of-holster, I never had this on my 8330 and did describe this plus several related issues to Verizon tech. Taking the battery out (standard answer) did seem to resolve a couple of items but it wasn't until today that I was able to isolate there was still an issue. Again, not something I've ever encountered but your comments make it clear this is an RTM thing.
On the browser, e-mail and address book issues, I was thinking of installing (or reinstalling) the latest OS, but I like the idea of swapping at Verizon even better. I have spent enough time skunking this phone, let someone else deal with it. Based on what everyone is saying I'd be willing to give this a shot so the phone gets a fair trial. I'm not looking forward to spending more time and hassle at the store, but I really would prefer a BB with a proper physical keyboard with excellent sound quality. The sound quality on this phone, BTW, is the best yet of any BB's I've tested. My wife concurs.
I had a bad learning curve on the 8330, but it was more along the lines of getting used to the BB interface. I realize there's some learning when you switch to an OS two generations newer, and while some of that is annoying, it is nothing next to the frustration felt when dealing with glitches.
As for the doink who thought I was a troll, every board has a couple of people who jump to snap conclusions without taking time to think. I'm just glad that the rest of you showed yourselves and demonstrated what this community is all about. As a thank-you I will be posting some excellent old-skool ringtones. WIll keep you posted on next steps.
- 09-23-11, 08:25 PM #15
You are not the first or will be the last and like I said....Even though I did not say it, Sorry for the one guy with the troll remark.
We all like thanks and it shows your appreciation forgetting back on the right track. Keep us informed.
- 09-23-11, 08:41 PM #17
Last edited by Jaguarr40; 10-01-11 at 04:57 PM.
- 09-24-11, 04:29 PM #19
Last edited by BGK; 09-24-11 at 04:29 PM. Reason: wording problem
- 09-24-11, 04:33 PM #20
Some of those aren't real problems though... More like not knowing where options are.
But if you hate the UI, why bother? No point in everyone wasting their time
Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
- CrackBerry Abuser
09-25-11, 09:54 AM #21
- 242 Posts
- :: Don't Ask Don't Tell ::
.. OP.. I'm sure you've managed to handle the device properly right?! .. The best way to learn about and get use to your new gadget is to play around with it, go through all the options (settings) and read forums in case there are things you are not familiar with.. Blaming the device for your own ignorance is the same as blaming yourself for making the purchase which you should have thought about..
9930 - 7.0.0.XXX - on Tapatalk
I'm returning this phone today - first chance since my post. Lots to try once the phone is swapped.
Looks like helpful posts can get thanked - now I see what one poster said about making sure to thank people. I'll do this as soon as I can.
I am surprised at the number of trolls, but with this many members it makes sense. Again, glad they are in the minority and discouraged when they behave badly.
More ringtones to follow....
- 09-25-11, 03:42 PM #24
The OP clearly stated they had been using a 8330 for 3 years. I'm sure that thing was running OS4 (if not earlier) and judging from the thread..the OP probably does not have a myriad of knowledge. But as soon as someone comes in with some problems or concerns..we get people jumping all over them being ignorant.
Way to treat new members
- 09-25-11, 05:22 PM #25
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com