Hey .. can someone please tell me if being on Wifi consumes more battery or being n bb data services.. if wifi is less then I can use it @ work and home..
    03-11-12 11:58 PM
    Depend on who you ask, you I'll get different ans. I found wifi takes a lot of battery power to run compared to BIS. But if you are in an area with poor signal from. The cell tower, wifi would use less battery than the weak 3G connection.
    kavita.m likes this.
    03-12-12 12:05 AM
    Use wifi whenever you can. It gives everyone more juice!
    03-12-12 12:12 AM
    Depend on who you ask, you I'll get different ans. I found wifi takes a lot of battery power to run compared to BIS. But if you are in an area with poor signal from. The cell tower, wifi would use less battery than the weak 3G connection.
    Well to answer that .. am on 2G and get good signal at home and work.. however just wanted to check what give better battery results.. somehow I felt after using wifi my battery draining was a bit faster.. maybe 3% on idle.. where as I manage to get a 2 to 2.5% on idle mode now I know even that much is higher on idle mode.. Heaven knows how ppl get 1% on idle.. I would kill to get that kind of battery drainage
    03-12-12 12:20 AM
    If signal is around 1/2 or less then I would suggest you run wifi as much as possible. That said, if you are not using your BlackBerry much then I would stick to the regular network. I leave my wifi on at work and at home if I'm going to be using a lot of data bandwidth, (videos and large emails or file transfers for example). If you are just getting the occasional email or lite web surfing then cell network is the better choice in my opinion.

When I'm at home on Sprint, I have excellent 1X (or 2g) network speeds. Therefore I default to wifi because it's less time transferring data and thus better on the battery life. I'm rambling here but these are all points to consider when it comes to battery life. Try both depending on your needs to see what works best for you.
    03-12-12 12:25 AM
    Well to answer that .. am on 2G and get good signal at home and work.. however just wanted to check what give better battery results.. somehow I felt after using wifi my battery draining was a bit faster.. maybe 3% on idle.. where as I manage to get a 2 to 2.5% on idle mode now I know even that much is higher on idle mode.. Heaven knows how ppl get 1% on idle.. I would kill to get that kind of battery drainage
    I get 1% battery drain on 2G and with wifi turned on i guess 1.5% to 2% on idle
    03-12-12 03:14 AM
    OP, pulling data off a cell network is going to consume more battery than over WiFi. So I'd use the WiFi where you have it.

If you leave WiFi on, but are not connect, it will hurt battery life (as it's constantly looking for a new connection).
    kavita.m likes this.
    03-12-12 09:37 AM
    I get 1% battery drain on 2G and with wifi turned on i guess 1.5% to 2% on idle
    1% battery drain what apps are on ??? am on .267 and have never seen 1% batt drain even on a sunday
    03-12-12 10:50 AM
    OP, pulling data off a cell network is going to consume more battery than over WiFi. So I'd use the WiFi where you have it.

If you leave WiFi on, but are not connect, it will hurt battery life (as it's constantly looking for a new connection).

Well to answer my question, over a pretty heavy useage from morning to about 3pm - say about 12 to 15 calls, bbm, whats app, emails and I was at 50% in the evening at 6pm.. now from 6 pm to 9 pm i am now down to 23% since being on data network

so gonna stick to wifi @ home nd work
    03-12-12 10:54 AM
    I lose about 1% average idle rate with tons of applications, but auto refresh are most likely very high or turned off.
    Many BBM-recent updates on the background, WIFI on all the time.
    03-12-12 10:56 AM
    I lose about 1% average idle rate with tons of applications, but auto refresh are most likely very high or turned off.
    1% @ idle .. can I kill u guys ..
    03-12-12 11:12 AM
    +1, I'm about the same with WiFi all the time.
    With moderate usage I get around 24hrs between charges.
    03-12-12 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD