Ok, my classmate is getting a 9900 this week and he's wondering if god forbid the thing got nuked, would the 8GB on board media memory be affected ??
    Thanks for all the replies
    03-16-12 07:23 AM
    Define nuked.

I'd use an SD card for storage of pictures and etc.

In theory, the data on the SD card should be more secure (in the sense of harder to destroy by accident) than data in the phones internal storage. However the SD card is electrically part of the BB so if something goes seriously insane and tries to write to the SD card, or some physical/electronic fault occurs it's *always* possible to damage it.

What I just said applies to ANY DEVICE that stores data on an SD card. The SD card in your BB will probably survive most things that would destroy the phone like dropping or getting it wet. I am reminded of the Canon digital camera used by a photographer at the World Trade Center on 9/11. The camera was utterly destroyed but the memory card still had his last shots on it.

The advantage of the SD card is that the phone does not have to work to get the data off it. Just pop it out and connect it to a PC.
    03-16-12 07:36 AM
    Shortest answer would be, information and data on SD cards are less vulnerable to unrecoverable corruption if your phone go dead. But, SD cards also have their faults compared to internal memory. Example would be formatting errors.

Unless RIM decided to go backwards on software engineering, I don't think bricking or nuking will come back to Bold 99xx again. Tell your friend to update his/her operating system to the latest one out there.
    03-16-12 07:50 AM
    I am not sure but I have seen a few threads where the user had the Encryption ON for the sdcard and it IS TIED TO THAT SPECIFIC PHONE. So when a phone died, the sdcard would not "decrypt" in the new phone.

I am not sure if that is the case or not. So hopefully, one of the more knowledgeable users will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Hgouck likes this.
    03-16-12 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD