Over the last few days I've had a lot of complaints from the other end of my conversation that they can hear a lot of background noise. I get this comment from more than 75% of the people I speak with and most times I never asked them how I sound.

Seems that its worse when I'm in a moving car. In my Bimmer when I use Bluetooth people tell me I sound great, but when I switch to the handset (not speakerphone) they often tell me they hear too much white noise in the background. Kind of like water running.

I called TMo support today and the rep I spoke with agreed that the background noise was unusually apparent. They agreed to send me a replacement 9900 (actually they are sending me a whole new kit since I'm within the buyers remorse period).

Anyone else experience this issue?

I'm running .250 TMo stock software. Yes, I tried to do a battery pull.
    10-05-11 07:26 PM
    I have a 9930 and haven't experienced that at all. Sounds like a defective device to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 08:26 PM
    Turn Automatic Volume Control On. You would think it would only effect your earpiece but it will help with the noisy mic.

10-05-11 09:07 PM
    Does that really affect the mic as well? I wondered about it. A few people I know have the same issues with loud background noise...
    10-05-11 09:13 PM
    Does that really affect the mic as well? I wondered about it. A few people I know have the same issues with loud background noise...
    So, is it a software issue or do I have a bad device?

Worst part is that TMo just advised they have no stock with no ETA for arrival. I am also told I MUST return my current 9900 immediately otherwise I won't be able to get a new replacement (using my remorse return period).

This is annoying me in some serious way.

Given that TMO and supposedly Vodaphone are out of stock, I wonder if RIM is fixing something on the production line. TMO tells me they've been out of stock since 9/20 (the day my phone shipped).
    Last edited by claykin; 10-05-11 at 09:48 PM.
    10-05-11 09:21 PM
    I tried Automatic volume control and it does not help.

After spending WAY too much time and effort on this, I've determined the problem is the TMo 7.0.0.250 software.

1) I got a brand new phone from TMO. This one also had 7.0.0.250 and exhibited the same handset noise problem as my phone.

2) I upgraded my phone to 7.0.0.440. No more problem.

3) I upgraded replacement phone to 7.0.0.440. No more problem.

4) Returned replacement phone to .250 and problem came back.

5) Finally, I visited a TMo store and made a test call on their demo handset with .250 software. Same noise problem from mic.

So, problem with noise in handset mic must be associated with .250 software. I'm surprised more TMo subscribers don't get complaints from people on the other end of the call. The noise appears like white noise. I actually have heard from people that I sound like I'm standing next to a waterfall.

Good news is that with .440 the waterfall has dried up and gone away.
    10-11-11 12:42 AM
    I tried Automatic volume control and it does not help.

After spending WAY too much time and effort on this, I've determined the problem is the TMo 7.0.0.250 software.

1) I got a brand new phone from TMO. This one also had 7.0.0.250 and exhibited the same handset noise problem as my phone.

2) I upgraded my phone to 7.0.0.440. No more problem.

3) I upgraded replacement phone to 7.0.0.440. No more problem.

4) Returned replacement phone to .250 and problem came back.

5) Finally, I visited a TMo store and made a test call on their demo handset with .250 software. Same noise problem from mic.

So, problem with noise in handset mic must be associated with .250 software. I'm surprised more TMo subscribers don't get complaints from people on the other end of the call. The noise appears like white noise. I actually have heard from people that I sound like I'm standing next to a waterfall.

Good news is that with .440 the waterfall has dried up and gone away.
    Great job chasing down the cause clay! Good of you to share your experience.

10-11-11 08:05 AM
    Thank you very very very much for your help.. I have the issue and now I'm going to download the .440 OS .. But one more thing, where do I get it from??
    Thank you
    10-19-11 09:20 AM
    Thank you very very very much for your help.. I have the issue and now I'm going to download the .440 OS .. But one more thing, where do I get it from??
    Thank you
    10-19-11 09:22 AM
    See sticky link on top of this forum for 9900 .439. There is a link at the bottom of the first post to download .440.

Keep in mind that you'll need to delete the vendor.xml file before running Desktop Manager.

You can find vendor.xml in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader or C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader on 64 bit Windows.
    10-19-11 09:48 AM
    I can't see the link. If you don't mind, can you please send it to me here. I'm sorry but I'm new to this forum. Thanks.
    10-20-11 05:30 AM
    10-20-11 05:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD