Why not just get a $50 XM radio and listen to it? Why would you rely on data connection to make an already low quality stream even worse with compression.

For shows, is there anyway to podcast them?

Maybe OS10 will have it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    04-14-13 08:46 AM
    Why not just get a $50 XM radio and listen to it? Why would you rely on data connection to make an already low quality stream even worse with compression.

For shows, is there anyway to podcast them?

Maybe OS10 will have it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    For the record, audio quality over the data connection is significantly higher than satellite. It's double, actually, and a different codec all together.

Satellite is only downlinked at 64 kbps and is compressed via the HE-AAC codec which crushes the hell out of the signal, whereas the internet feeds are 128 kbps and encoded via Windows Media.
    04-14-13 11:01 PM
    For the record, audio quality over the data connection is significantly higher than satellite. It's double, actually, and a different codec all together.

Satellite is only downlinked at 64 kbps and is compressed via the HE-AAC codec which crushes the hell out of the signal, whereas the internet feeds are 128 kbps and encoded via Windows Media.

Thanks for the information, did not know that. That makes sense... I think they should just stop XM/Satellite and focus on building apps and service over the internet like Pandora. If Pandora can build so many apps for so many platforms, why coudln't XM? I am sure they make a lot more money than Pandora..

Since you mentioned WM, I assume it is DRM or encrypted in a manner, how do you know it is encoded via Windows Media? I believe BB media player is capable of streaming windows media, unless there is some 3rd party authentication. How about streaming from home? Set up a small app to stream from web to your PC, and then PC streams back to internet, and then you can listen to it on your BB?
    04-15-13 10:53 AM
    The website shows older generation BB and states it is available, and I just tried the 9000 OTA on my 9900 and it works fine (i cannot stream, I don't have account) but has anyone even tried this?

Here is the OTA link:
    BB 9000
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=5l0SPn8k

BB 9700
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=VDXTkDub
    04-15-13 10:59 AM
    Thanks for the information, did not know that. That makes sense... I think they should just stop XM/Satellite and focus on building apps and service over the internet like Pandora. If Pandora can build so many apps for so many platforms, why coudln't XM? I am sure they make a lot more money than Pandora..
    This is a hot topic, but at the end of the day the companies bread and butter is satellite. I will always prefer the internet apps and devices, simply because of the quality, but the amount of truckers, people travelling coast to coast or in rural areas on the road, basically people outside of cellular data connections is far more important to the company than those walking to work in a downtown core with blazing 4G LTE.

Since you mentioned WM, I assume it is DRM or encrypted in a manner, how do you know it is encoded via Windows Media? I believe BB media player is capable of streaming windows media, unless there is some 3rd party authentication.
    Correct, the WM streaming platform is DRM encrypted.

The mobile app area is where it all becomes very, very convoluted. The iPhone app, the Android app, the BlackBerry app, and the web player app all use different streaming technologies and codecs.

The web player recently moved to a encrypted flash media server, but it also has a legacy player that is WM + DRM.

The Android and iPhone app streams by downloading chunks of DRM'd MP3s. This is why the internet feeds are so behind. It will download 1 and a half minute chunks of the stream, play them back, and download the next chunk before the last one runs out. This is why you can turn off the data on your phone and the stream will continue anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute. It also cuts back on data usage, instead of downloading a true constant stream at 128 kbps it downloads these chunks at basically 1-4 MB every few minutes.

The different between the iPhone and Android apps is simply the codec used in the MP3s, I know Andoid is AAC but the iPhones codec skips my mind. Either way, both require their own server.

The BlackBerry apps created true streams, again the codec skips my mind as I haven't worked with them since 2010. If I recall correctly, the old BlackBerry apps used the same codec/server as the legacy Windows Media web player.

How about streaming from home? Set up a small app to stream from web to your PC, and then PC streams back to internet, and then you can listen to it on your BB?
    I know a lot of people who did this. You could download an application called "SiriusXM Streamer" which would create ASX links on your computer, click on them and they would stream the SiriusXM channel of your choosing to your player of choice, via your home computer. A lot of BlackBerry users paired this with "Orb". It was a great solution until the servers changed and these streams died.

Fear not, BB10 app is in the works.
    04-15-13 11:17 AM
    This is a hot topic, but at the end of the day the companies bread and butter is satellite. I will always prefer the internet apps and devices, simply because of the quality, but the amount of truckers, people travelling coast to coast or in rural areas on the road, basically people outside of cellular data connections is far more important to the company than those walking to work in a downtown core with blazing 4G LTE.

Correct, the WM streaming platform is DRM encrypted.

The mobile app area is where it all becomes very, very convoluted. The iPhone app, the Android app, the BlackBerry app, and the web player app all use different streaming technologies and codecs.

The web player recently moved to a encrypted flash media server, but it also has a legacy player that is WM + DRM.

The Android and iPhone app streams by downloading chunks of DRM'd MP3s. This is why the internet feeds are so behind. It will download 1 and a half minute chunks of the stream, play them back, and download the next chunk before the last one runs out. This is why you can turn off the data on your phone and the stream will continue anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute. It also cuts back on data usage, instead of downloading a true constant stream at 128 kbps it downloads these chunks at basically 1-4 MB every few minutes.

The different between the iPhone and Android apps is simply the codec used in the MP3s, I know Andoid is AAC but the iPhones codec skips my mind. Either way, both require their own server.

The BlackBerry apps created true streams, again the codec skips my mind as I haven't worked with them since 2010. If I recall correctly, the old BlackBerry apps used the same codec/server as the legacy Windows Media web player.

I know a lot of people who did this. You could download an application called "SiriusXM Streamer" which would create ASX links on your computer, click on them and they would stream the SiriusXM channel of your choosing to your player of choice, via your home computer. A lot of BlackBerry users paired this with "Orb". It was a great solution until the servers changed and these streams died.

Hey man sent you a pm

Sent from my game boy color
    04-15-13 10:44 PM
    So, how about the 9000 app? It works on my 9900, doesn't it let you stream?
    04-15-13 11:54 PM
    So, how about the 9000 app? It works on my 9900, doesn't it let you stream?
    I call shenanigans as you sir are a liar. Trying to use the 9000 app on a 9930 results in a Service Unavailable message. It does not work. Trust me, mowing my lawn has sucked the past 2 years without it.
    04-24-13 12:57 PM
    there is an app for the 9900 for sirius radio in BB app world. Havent tried it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-24-13 03:04 PM
    I call shenanigans as you sir are a liar. Trying to use the 9000 app on a 9930 results in a Service Unavailable message. It does not work. Trust me, mowing my lawn has sucked the past 2 years without it.
    9900 not 9930.
    I also specifically said that app works, I don't know if it streams or not, I don't have XM account. Wear a hat when mowing the lawn and stop calling people liar.
    04-24-13 07:27 PM
    I can't speak for those that have a 9930 but I have a 9900. Just installed the sirius Fm radio app and it works fine on my phone.
    04-24-13 08:32 PM
    Those aren't even close to being the same app.
    04-24-13 10:29 PM
    Any news on the BB10 Sirius-XM app?
    05-29-13 06:11 AM
    Any news on the BB10 Sirius-XM app?

This is 9900 sub-forum, you may wan to check Blackberry 10 section.
    05-29-13 11:09 AM
    An update on the SiriusXM app is available here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...da-usa-823380/
    06-28-13 09:52 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD