I'm using a bold 9900 for around 6 months now, and I come on crackberry.com practically daily since I bought this device from Rogers, which like everyone dealing with this carrier and owning the 9900 know it comes with the worst software's version ever, 7.0.0.261. Horrible battery life, slow browser, bricked and nuked issues... The excitement last a week before I got really disappointed of this phone and really think to put my chipset back on my curve 9300 and sell the bold. But I upgraded to .503 which solves in three days my battery life issue. I also tried .585 a week, but I downgraded cause no significant improvement plus the 100 to 92 % bug reported by a lot of users of this version. I skipped .190 (7.1) and I am now running 7.1.0.205. Just a word... wow !!! This software's version should be preloaded on all the bold 9900/9930, no matter the carrier. To be honest, I don't see any difference regarding to the browser's speed but the battery life should allow anybody to pass throught a full working day (7 to midnight outside for me, so around 14-18 hours), with a reasonable use of wifi, wifi hotspot and bluetooth bridging or, if you are as lucky as I am, you'll get the same lasting with medium-heavy use. The point of this thread is : I'm not giving lessons to anybody. I agree it is frustrating to purchase a 600 $ phone and get some troubles from day one. But I you post on this section, I assume you own the phone. So, the money you spend for the 9900 is already a sunk cost. Complaining won't change anything to this reality. A few users had the chance to obtain a workable and fully functionnal 9900 at their first try. Now, we got a solution : 7.1.0.205. I strongly suggest to everybody experiencing troubles to upgrade to this OS ( except if you have a better option... Maybe complaining ?) and try their best to make it work : I exchanged for tow days my 9900 with a friend's 9790, who was complaining about the battey life. I charged the phone once til I got the mine back... Sometimes, the user is responsible of his performance's device. Close the running apps in the background, set properly the backlight, turn off the location service if u don't use the GPS, define the networks connections... And you will get the oustanding phone you paid for. Be Bold and proud !!!
    01-28-12 08:34 PM
    Thanks, byul !!!
    01-28-12 09:16 PM
    Right on! There's a reason new OS's are released. Couldn't be any happier with 9930/7.1.0.163 (B457).

Its great to see a positive thread.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    01-28-12 09:39 PM
    Fully agree. Sometimes you gotta fight for your BOLD!!!
    01-28-12 10:04 PM
    great share. now i dont know if i should wait for the official release or go with the latest leak.

any info when they will officially release it?
    01-28-12 10:31 PM
    RIM will be gone by 2014. Enjoy it while u can.
    Did you know that rim got a new ceo? That is a single ceo?

I would have agreed with you if both dual-core idiots would have continued.
    01-29-12 07:51 AM
    I'll do, even if I disagree with your prediction... Future will say that !!!
    01-29-12 07:54 AM
    Sometimes, the user is responsible of his performance's device. Close the running apps in the background, set properly the backlight, turn off the location service if u don't use the GPS, define the networks connections... And you will get the oustanding phone you paid for. Be Bold and proud !!!
    This post was very inspiring until this last part. So what you are saying is that to get great battery peformance, a person should turn off all of these things which make this a state of the art smartphone? That seems kind of silly. Who really wants to micromanage a cell phone? I don't. I want it to do everything it is supposed to and last all day and night.

I blame Google/Android and the manufacturers making it the norm on their devices and creating this thought process. They made it "okay" to have poor battery performance as they released smartphone after smartphone that would last half a day. People would tell you it's fine if you close this and turn off that.

I look at these devices like they are an electronic Swiss Army knife. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a Swiss Army knife if you yank out half the tools?

Before you all get your panties in a bunch... I have a 9930 and I am extremely happy with it. I posted this because it bothers me that people think this is okay for smartphone manufacturers to do to consumers - including RIM.
    01-29-12 09:31 AM
    Getting tired of reading complaints about battery life. If the battery conked out after 2 days, people would want 3. RIM gave us an outstanding BlackBerry, with a fast processor, an outstanding keyboard, and a touch screen. Then they managed to squeeze it into a nice small package. Just like most phones out there, if you use your phone, charge your phone. Maybe BB10 devices will come with a 9000mah battery, but for now grab an extra charger and go to town.
    nuangel2 likes this.
    01-29-12 11:29 AM
    This post was very inspiring until this last part. So what you are saying is that to get great battery peformance, a person should turn off all of these things which make this a state of the art smartphone? That seems kind of silly. Who really wants to micromanage a cell phone? I don't. I want it to do everything it is supposed to and last all day and night.

I blame Google/Android and the manufacturers making it the norm on their devices and creating this thought process. They made it "okay" to have poor battery performance as they released smartphone after smartphone that would last half a day. People would tell you it's fine if you close this and turn off that.

I look at these devices like they are an electronic Swiss Army knife. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a Swiss Army knife if you yank out half the tools?

Before you all get your panties in a bunch... I have a 9930 and I am extremely happy with it. I posted this because it bothers me that people think this is okay for smartphone manufacturers to do to consumers - including RIM.
    I think you misunderstood me, buddy !!! I never talked to sacrifice your normal usage to make the battery last. My settings are 3G&2G, 50 % brightness and 30 sec timeout, location off. And that's it. I don't use the phone in edge or turn off the screenlight to have of full day of usage. It would be ridiculous to leave location on considering I don't use any applications using that kind of data neither the GPS. For the rest I use my phone with no restrictions : browser (youtube), or multiple tabs researches, media player in shuffle mode a couple of hours a day, BBM/email. The part of the post you quote adresses the morons (like this friend carrying the 9790) who leaves somes draining battery's game in the background, 100 % of brightness and 6 tabs open for hour (yes, that exist...). But I don't use a lot third party apps, cause I don't need, maybe that explains my luck. A smartphone requires a smart usage to get it useful, convenient and workable. Seeing your profile make me think you will agree me !!!
    Last edited by blackberry_lover_forever; 01-29-12 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typing
    01-29-12 03:01 PM
    Did you know that rim got a new ceo? That is a single ceo?

I would have agreed with you if both dual-core idiots would have continued.
    IMO, new CEO was brought on to sell the company, and that is all. Previous "dual-core idiots" had no experience in such matters, and they knew it, so they bowed out to let a pro take over the dealings.
    01-29-12 03:51 PM
    Right, the former 'COO' with no experience leading a tech company is going to save RIM.

Big LoL
    When are you dumping your 9930 for an iPhone or Droid?
    01-29-12 04:58 PM
    When are you dumping your 9930 for an iPhone or Droid?
    I was ready to bail on my 9930 at christmas, but I was given a Playbook...... now I have had a taste of the BB future, I cant wait for them to bring out there new phones.
    Looking forward to the new OS10 devices
    01-29-12 05:12 PM
    Right, the former 'COO' with no experience leading a tech company is going to save RIM.

Big LoL

Obvious troll is obvious.
    01-29-12 05:16 PM
    Drain rate @ 5%/hr with heavy usage of BBM, Texts and Bridged to Playbook for browsing on 4G...yep no reasons to complain here either.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-29-12 05:28 PM

Big LoL
    He was also highly placed at Siemens AG (Psssst Laz!! They work with cutting edge technology in general, specifically; electronics and electrical engineering.)
    01-29-12 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD