Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default No 4G, No Hotspot?

I've encountered many web-sites including, PC Mag, GSM Arena etc. Touting the lack of 4G, and Hotspot. From my understanding 4G must consist of either WiMax, LTE, and HSPA+ non of which are supported unless i missed an update! Can someone let me know if there was an update for the support of wi-fi hotspot and more info on a 4G upgrade?
    Mark
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    994 Global Posts

Not gonna happen on the 9900/9930. If thats what you need more than a great smartphone, you might keep looking.
    HAVE A GREAT BB10 DAY!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default 4G/Hotspot

Guess i just have to wait on QNX and hope i get it there! Also i hope it supports flash!
    Mark
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Quote Originally Posted by marko868 View Post
    Guess i just have to wait on QNX and hope i get it there! Also i hope it supports flash!
    Support for UMA/Mobile Hotspot must come from your carrier, and not RIM. Ask your carrier for an ETA.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,684 Global Posts

flash on a screen sized less than 5" is kinda useless...

and LTE phones without FULL LTE support is also useless. I can tell u right now even with H+ I get spotty network, I bet even when LTE is rolled out u'll get spotty LTE .. well carrier dependant so your call.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    Support for UMA/Mobile Hotspot must come from your carrier, and not RIM. Ask your carrier for an ETA.

When I was using a nexus one, my carrier didn't even support the phone, but I got the mobile hotspot capability from the android update. I don't understand how we have to go ask the carrier if RIM doesn't even implement the feature into the OS yet.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,445 Global Posts

I've encountered many web-sites including, PC Mag, GSM Arena etc. Touting the lack of 4G, and Hotspot. From my understanding 4G must consist of either WiMax, LTE, and HSPA+ non of which are supported unless i missed an update! Can someone let me know if there was an update for the support of wi-fi hotspot and more info on a 4G upgrade?
    H+ is available on the 99xx.

As for WiMax & LTE, I wouldn't be too concerned. The carrier footprint is quite small at the moment (for those who have it at all). Using it will KILL battery life!! And you'd have to pay extra to access.

You're not going to want to use that technology until it's in its 2nd lifecycle and the kinks in the tech have been worked out. Don't be fooled my marketing gibberish...

Quote Originally Posted by kawint View Post
    When I was using a nexus one, my carrier didn't even support the phone, but I got the mobile hotspot capability from the android update. I don't understand how we have to go ask the carrier if RIM doesn't even implement the feature into the OS yet.
    RIM does not release their own OS' like Android does. They provide the OS to carriers to approve and launch. As soon as one carrier enables Hotspot it'll be open season.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts

the 9900 is HSPA+, and is marketed as 4G.

wi-fi hotspot was spotted on Sprint packaging; Sprint has been apparently telling customers that it was a mistake but that it will eventually be implemented.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Hotspot will come, but most likely cost extra, since the carriers won't give that away as long as there are unlimited data plans.
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,723 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barrist View Post
    the 9900 is HSPA+, and is marketed as 4G.
    ...only by T-Mobile US currently, and as H+ on several North American carriers.

Us Europeans are keeping it real by just calling it what it is... 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

LTE screams and is widespread on Verizon's network. It just sucks the battery dry. AT&T is moving to LTE as is Sprint. By next summer they shouldn't need a separate chip for LTE which will help battery life dramatically. My friend just got a Bionic and it's actually pretty good with battery life but he still can't make it a full day on a single charge. They should have the kinks worked out in a few months.