I've been reading about NFC but I can't find where or how to activate it.

I've read that you go to Manage Connections but all I have is:

Mobile Network
    Wi-Fi
    Mobile Hotspot
    Bluetooth

I'm running OS7.1.0.74 and Mobile Hotspot is the only added option over 7.0.0.250.

Is it only active if you're on BES? I'm on BIS.

TIA
    Last edited by EdS817; 12-14-11 at 02:21 PM.
    12-14-11 02:17 PM
    Found my answer.

It's a T-Mobile thing. They don't support NFC and from what I read they don't plan on supporting it. I guess it's just technical for their technical support department.
    12-14-11 02:36 PM
    Lol, answering your own questions when you could have done that without posting a thread. But anyways, I'm on T-Mobile as well and at the moment since there's not much support for NFC anyways, I'm not too pissed, when pay stations and other support start to emerge then I'll have a chat with T-Mobile.

I also noticed next to your avatar you're running 7.7.0.74. Where can I get my hands on that? ; )
    12-15-11 12:12 AM
    Found my answer.

It's a T-Mobile thing. They don't support NFC and from what I read they don't plan on supporting it. I guess it's just technical for their technical support department.
    So NFC is something the carriers can block? And block so's you can't get around it by upgrading your OS to a version from a carrier that supports NFC? I know that there was that workaround for the ATT Bridge fiasco, and also, you can upgrade to Hotspot even if your carrier's version of the 9900 OS doesn't support it. But what about NFC? And if you can upgrade to it, which OS version?
    12-19-11 04:57 PM
    It's controlled by service books.
    12-20-11 01:19 AM
    It's controlled by service books.
    +1

(Exception: Verizon blocking of NFC was not based on Service Book/Vendor ID. That is why Verizon users could upgrade their BB OS and acquire back what they had paid for (NFC) on their phone. Many of current NFCShortcuts users have a contract with Verizon)
    12-20-11 08:16 AM
    I think it will be another year or so before they really get NFC up and running. The carriers are trying to figure out how to make money from it. Give it time. Likely your NEXT phone will have working NFC.
    12-20-11 08:18 AM
    I think it will be another year or so before they really get NFC up and running. The carriers are trying to figure out how to make money from it. Give it time. Likely your NEXT phone will have working NFC.
    This is the correct for T-Mobile and AT&T. They are part of ISIS and they try to make (more) money out od their customer when they use NFC.
    The good thing is that Verizon, which is also a ISIS carrier, gave up and enabled NFC.

Other carriers have not disabled NFC.
    12-20-11 08:26 AM
    If NFC is controlled by service books on the phone, has anyone tried to figure out which service book controls NFC being enabled or disabled? If it's a separate entry on an enabled carriers device, then maybe we can push that service book to our own device. Can it hurt to try?
    01-05-12 10:34 AM
    I don't think you can manually 'load' service books on your device.
    01-05-12 10:48 AM
    I don't think you can manually 'load' service books on your device.
    sure you can! Go to your service book preferences and type ALT SBEB. Then you can restore service books from DM.
    01-05-12 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD