I live in a highrise which uses an electronic fob which you press against a receiever to open doors, parking garage and ultimately gaining access to the building. Can I program the frequency/wave/whatever it's called to my phone and use my phone instead of the key fob?
    12-14-11 12:34 PM
    Would also like to know if this is possible!!
    12-14-11 01:25 PM
    DO you have NFC working on your phone?
    12-14-11 01:59 PM
    Is that what NFC is for? I was wondering what all the fuss was about. That is pretty cool.
    12-14-11 06:38 PM
    Ummmm no - that's not what it's for today...maybe there will be apps for that, but for now, you can't use it for that. Google it and you'll see what it does.
    12-14-11 06:56 PM
    I just might do that. I was wondering but never enough to remember to look it up! Nice car in your pic. One of my favs.

Chad
    12-14-11 07:08 PM
    Thanks - she drives as well as she looks!
    12-14-11 11:38 PM
    Yeah, currently there's basically nothing you can do with NFC, stateside that is. And it's not even enabled on T-Mobile yet, hopefully soon. But the only app that really supports it is NFCShortcuts, I think that's the newest name they're using. But it involves you buying NFC tags and what not. Other than that NFC is really limited to the Nexus line using Google Wallet and not that many places carry NFC pay stations yet. I've only seen a few, again stateside. But what you want to do with yours should be in the books or that's one of the ideas of NFC. It's basically a programmable RFID tag and reader.
    12-15-11 12:03 AM
    The security systems used for access control in building could be anything (some of them are supported by NFC and some of them not).
    Even if those access control systems are based on NFC, and if you have NFC on your BB, it doesn't mean that you can use your BB to open the doors.
    For a BB to be able to open doors, you need to have a trusted online system that can securly send the "Key" to the secure chip on your BB (the same way your virtual credit card should be loaded to your BB for NFC Payment).
    When "the virtual key is in your BB, your NFC should be in Card Emulation mode to be able to "present" the key when you hold your BB in front of the readers for access control.

One of the NFCShortcuts users found out that his hotel keys were NFC-based.
    He used the NFCShortcuts app and reprogrammed the key for his own use (he taps NFC tag in his car to turn off WiFi, turn on Bluetooth, and to launch DriveSafe.ly app with that tag).
    12-16-11 12:31 PM
    There would be an app available for download from the Access Control system to enable to NFC to used. Depending on the system. Most are out for iPhone and Android. You would need to contact the building security department. I design/install systems like this - havent run across one for Blackberry yet -- part of my reason for going droid.
    12-16-11 12:45 PM
    There would be an app available for download from the Access Control system to enable to NFC to used. Depending on the system. Most are out for iPhone and Android. You would need to contact the building security department. I design/install systems like this - havent run across one for Blackberry yet -- part of my reason for going droid.
    Interesting.

Are those Android phones and iPhones emulating the "key" from micro SD card or from the secure chip on the phone.
    12-16-11 12:53 PM
    Chip on phone. Nothing on SD card .. Gets as tight or as lax as needed as far as security.

Theres a few vids on youtube of NFC Access Control being used/tested on college campuses. Very cool.
    12-16-11 01:08 PM
    Chip on phone. Nothing on SD card .. Gets as tight or as lax as needed as far as security.

Theres a few vids on youtube of NFC Access Control being used/tested on college campuses. Very cool.
    1- iPhone doesn't have NFC chip. It has a huge accessory unit that uses a micro SD card inside of it.

2- Are you talking about the trial in Arizona university?

3- You wrote:
    " design/install systems like this - havent run across one for Blackberry yet -- part of my reason for going droid."
    Do you work for that university that does install access control system?

4- What system do you install for access control that does have a software for iPhone and Droid and not for BB?
    Last edited by Vijik; 12-16-11 at 02:06 PM.
    12-16-11 01:45 PM
    I also checked online.
    It looks like that Droid only has NFC chip and not a secure element nor an NFC antenna!

Droid wasn't even annoused by Motorola to have NFC.
    gordonzhao likes this.
    12-16-11 02:11 PM
    "BlackBerry NFC phone users are set to be the first to use their mobile instead of their work ID to access buildings ...":

NFC ID badges to arrive on BlackBerry phones
    12-21-11 07:29 AM
    I use one of these for my door at home and I suspect I might be able to programme the NFC to work with it.. Updates soon!
    12-22-11 05:09 AM
    I was just having a conversation about this with a fellow condo dweller. I got thinking about it after the TimmyMe app came out for the Z10.

I am seriously interested in seeking like minded individuals. In investing in a product which brings this I guess an App it would be to fruition. For BlackBerry phones of course and other NFC enabled phones as an option for condo dwellers to access their condo.

I have no idea how to code something like this. I just think it would sell in the form of an app like hot cakes if made available.

Typed "NFC condo fob" into Google and this was the first link that came up. Thought it would be appropriate to post here.

Who's with me?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:37 PM
    You can do it - however its not been released yet. There all still playing silly games over the secure area. This is why we still have no NFC payment options for BB yet.

I've spoken to HID Corp and they have trials on going which are working just fine - no plans on a general role out though.
    12-14-13 08:31 AM
    I'm also very interested in this. I see this was posted a few months back, have you had any luck?

Please let me know as there are surprisingly very few threads on this online...

Thanks!
    04-30-14 01:52 AM
    I think the transmitter on the z10 only supports the blackberry reader entrance module you can even gain access to buildings when the phone is turned off too

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 02:02 AM
    One of the NFCShortcuts users found out that his hotel keys were NFC-based.
    He used the NFCShortcuts app and reprogrammed the key for his own use (he taps NFC tag in his car to turn off WiFi, turn on Bluetooth, and to launch DriveSafe.ly app with that tag).
    But can you use "Add a New Tag" to read the smart key and use that to unlock doors? Or it doesn't work that way?
    04-30-14 07:00 PM
    Ive had no update on any of this TBH but I missed the last trade show where I normally see the HID Corp/ASSA guys.

But - I've also still not heard anything more about mobile payment / WavePay yet either...
    05-01-14 04:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD