Just received my order of 35mm X 35mm MIFARE Ultralight NFC stickers from buyNFCtags.com and I went to mess with them on my 9930 using NFC_launcher and it didn't work. I had NFC enabled in my connections and all that. So I did a battery pull and that did the trick. I was able to set one of the stickers up to make my 9930 go into bedside mode when I tapped it on the sticker. I also checked the other 4 stickers and they all worked fine. Long story short after my blackberry locks it isn't reading the nfc stickers when I come back to the device and unlock it regardless of what I do. The only thing I can seem to do to make it work again is to do a battery pull which again after the lock screen engages NFC no longer works. Some things to note: When working NFC works while using the NFC_launcher app or not, the little N symbol appears at the top or the screen, It works again whether the battery pull is pull is physical or button induced (IE the removing of the back cover isn't what's making it work again), and turning NFC off and on in network connections doesn't fix the issue. Any ideas?
    10-17-11 11:17 PM
    I just got my NFC tags so I'm sorry I can't help but maybe you can help me. I have created a few shortcuts using ShortcutMe and now I just want to set-up the NFC card to trigger the Shortcuts.
    Is there a sequence or sample code you could post regarding how to program the card itself?
    Thanks
    10-17-11 11:53 PM
    Strange, that shouldn't happen. NFC doesn't work while the phone is locked or password locked but when you unlock it it should work from anywhere within the phone, no matter what app you're in.

Try upgrading the OS is all I can say, works perfect for me on 440

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 05:59 AM
    I can't seem to find where to turn NFC on/off. I've read that it's in "manage connections" but I don't see anywhere where NFC is.

When I do a universal search for NFC, it only brings up the "HELP" icon.

Am I missing something here?
    10-18-11 09:54 AM
    I can't seem to find where to turn NFC on/off. I've read that it's in "manage connections" but I don't see anywhere where NFC is.

When I do a universal search for NFC, it only brings up the "HELP" icon.

Am I missing something here?
    Verizon disabled NFC in their stock OS. You'll have to update.
    JR A likes this.
    10-18-11 10:03 AM
    Strange, that shouldn't happen. NFC doesn't work while the phone is locked or password locked but when you unlock it it should work from anywhere within the phone, no matter what app you're in.

Try upgrading the OS is all I can say, works perfect for me on 440

That is a setting. Screen lock can disable or keep NFC enabled.
    10-18-11 11:29 AM
    NFC doesn't work while the phone is locked or password locked but when you unlock it it should work from anywhere within the phone, no matter what app you're in.
    Flyersfan is correct, NFC can be set to work when the phone is locked and even when powered off.

JR A likes this.
    10-18-11 11:38 AM
    Thank you, brilliant.

10-18-11 11:42 AM
    Spoke too soon mine was already on, I thaink that only applies to credit card transactions.
    10-18-11 11:49 AM
    I just got my NFC tags so I'm sorry I can't help but maybe you can help me. I have created a few shortcuts using ShortcutMe and now I just want to set-up the NFC card to trigger the Shortcuts.
    Is there a sequence or sample code you could post regarding how to program the card itself?
    Thanks
    I believe for you to be able to trigger ShortcutMe shortcuts or anything else you'll need to get NFCLauncher, also by the same author. Both apps are money WELL spent in my opinion.
    10-18-11 01:07 PM
    I was in a Bell store yesterday, trying to get pass a Smart Tag between my 9900 and a demo unit. I'm positive that the appropriate settings were engaged on both phones, but the only thing i succeeded in was setting off the alarm on the thing that held the demo phone down. I'm very excited for what NFC will bring in the future, and I really don't want to find out a year from now when that happens (and my phone is out of warranty) that it's broken so now I'm seriously considering ordering a few of these tags. Is there any way to program them without buying their reader/writer? Or alternatively, does anyone know of NFC implementation somewhere in Toronto?
    10-18-11 02:06 PM
    I was in a Bell store yesterday, trying to get pass a Smart Tag between my 9900 and a demo unit. I'm positive that the appropriate settings were engaged on both phones, but the only thing i succeeded in was setting off the alarm on the thing that held the demo phone down. I'm very excited for what NFC will bring in the future, and I really don't want to find out a year from now when that happens (and my phone is out of warranty) that it's broken so now I'm seriously considering ordering a few of these tags. Is there any way to program them without buying their reader/writer? Or alternatively, does anyone know of NFC implementation somewhere in Toronto?
    no real life implementation yet... i order sample tags with their website info on it.. i got 5 stickers, and 1 business card with nfc tags built in.. they all work on my phone..

ordering Blank NFC tags was not easy to get to canada...
    10-18-11 03:01 PM
    That is not really how they work.

No, there is not. Though, you can use ShortCutMe and the NFC App (NFCLauncher) to have actions performed when you tap a tag, like; sleep mode, WiFi off, etc. You can also use before and after events to set up some pretty impressive functions (Macros).

Aside from downtown media posters and some theatres, there isn't much. Still have Paywave and Quickpass that use NFC. A bunch of us are working with HID to try to port our credentials onto our 9900s(so we can use our phones as our access cards, but it's a slow process. Hopefully in the coming months.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 10-18-11 at 04:36 PM.
    10-18-11 04:34 PM
    Flyersfan is correct, NFC can be set to work when the phone is locked and even when powered off.

Click to view quoted image

Please be aware that NFC has 3 modes:

1- Card Emulation (called Card Transaction in the picture above)
    2- Reader/Writer Mode
    3- Pear2Pear mode.

I don't think you can change the behavior of the mode 2 and 3.

You can definitely not do mode 2 and 3 when powered off. Those modes are power hungry while mode 1 (Low Power) can get its power from a NFC reader/Point of sale terminal.
    Last edited by Vijik; 10-18-11 at 05:45 PM.
    10-18-11 05:42 PM
    That is not really how they work.

No, there is not. Though, you can use ShortCutMe and the NFC App (NFCLauncher) to have actions performed when you tap a tag, like; sleep mode, WiFi off, etc. You can also use before and after events to set up some pretty impressive functions (Macros).

Aside from downtown media posters and some theatres, there isn't much. Still have Paywave and Quickpass that use NFC. A bunch of us are working with HID to try to port our credentials onto our 9900s(so we can use our phones as our access cards, but it's a slow process. Hopefully in the coming months.
    It was just a link to a URL

Edit: And now that my friend has one and I was just able to try it out, I can confirm that that is in fact how they work.
    Last edited by IllmasterMathematics; 10-24-11 at 01:38 PM.
    10-18-11 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    1- Create a shortcut in ShortcutMe that does what you want. Lets assume this shortcut has TWF (toggle WiFi) (This is what you already have done)

2- Open NFCLauncher

3- Tap an NFC Card (Make sure NFC is on in the Manage Connections)

4- A pop up window pops up asking if you want to add that card to NFCLauncher. Hit YES.

5- A new panel "Setup Page for .." opens. Set 'Launch' to ShortcutMe, set 'Parameter' to TWF. Hit ESC key and click on YES to save it.

6- Close NFCLauncher

Now, when you tap that NFC card, it will launch your TWF shortcut in ShortcutMe.

(You can also add Pre- and Post-Macros that can run before and after the macro in TWF shortcut).

When using macros in ShortcutMe and the NFCLauncher sky is the limit on what you can do by just a tap to a card.
    10-29-11 06:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD