Just got my 9900 and love it just was wondering is there any real uses for the nfc yet? Or is it just something 'coming soon'
    03-10-12 03:08 PM
    not yet...just hopping google wallet is available for our phones soon so we can use the phones to pay.

I am trying to think of how we can use nfc in our daily lives but without proper programing, nothing can be done yet.

One thing idea is to have a tag on your fridge and put a shopping list up. That way, if another member scans it, they instantly got the list on their phones too. And you could go back and modify the list whenever you want or let others do it.
    03-10-12 03:36 PM
    There's a few cool things you can do with NFC, if you buy some NFC tags online and use a program like NFCShortcuts. Have a look at this thread:http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/

I'm using NFC on my 9900 to toggle wifi and one of my sound profiles whenever I enter or leave my house.
    03-10-12 03:47 PM
    There's a few cool things you can do with NFC, if you buy some NFC tags online and use a program like NFCShortcuts. Have a look at this thread:http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/

I'm using NFC on my 9900 to toggle wifi and one of my sound profiles whenever I enter or leave my house.
    wow! Awesome! I didn't know there was anything! Tell me more
    03-10-12 03:54 PM
    Thanks to phone companies and credit card companies are fighting over who should get how much from transactions, we still don't have NFC credit card system. But it will be in near future.

You can do Bluetooth NFC initiated file transfer with another phone with NFC.

Of course we have that NFC app as well.
    drum likes this.
    03-10-12 07:33 PM
    You can do Bluetooth NFC initiated file transfer with another phone with NFC.
    NFC file transfer between devices running OS7.1 uses BlackBerry Tag, not Bluetooth.
    03-10-12 07:56 PM
    None at all. :/
    03-10-12 08:03 PM
    NFC file transfer between devices running OS7.1 uses BlackBerry Tag, not Bluetooth.
    Isn't that BlackBerry Tag is another term for Bluetooth based file transfer?
    03-11-12 08:06 AM
    Isn't that BlackBerry Tag is another term for Bluetooth based file transfer?
    No, BlackBerry Tag uses NFC for file transfer... http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-tag
    03-11-12 08:16 AM
    Of course we have that NFC app as well.
    03-11-12 09:44 AM
    Great question. Developers actually have access to do neat things with NFC. This is however a challenge.

Where do consumers buy NFC tags?
    03-11-12 04:06 PM
    Believe it or not but with blackberry going downhill I don't actually know anyone else with a NFC enabled phone. So NFC is kinda useless for me right now. Cool feature though
    03-12-12 05:55 AM
    Believe it or not but with blackberry going downhill I don't actually know anyone else with a NFC enabled phone. So NFC is kinda useless for me right now. Cool feature though
    I've heard rumours of iPhone getting NFC. If anything that Apple churns out = success, then I'll say Blackberry is on the early road to success.

I'm waiting for the day to say "BB has NFC back in late 2011, when the Bold 9900 launch" with a smirk look, of course.
    03-12-12 06:57 AM
    No, BlackBerry Tag uses NFC for file transfer... http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-tag
    Does BB Tag transfer large files entirely over NFC, or the NFC is used to pair devices and then transfer the file over Bluetooth?
    03-12-12 07:57 AM
    I know the Commonwealth Bank here in Australia has developed software to utilise NFC as a payment method to use with Paypass and Paywave terminals. Atm that is only deployed on the iPhone via a case that must be purchased for 50 dollars from the bank. I am told its being rolled out on Android over the coming months. BB is not on the list yet but if the emails and facebook posts I've sent them do anything we might be lucky to get it too xD

Tyler

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    mhw100 and bedetek like this.
    03-12-12 08:01 AM
    I got me NFClauncher app at the discount price last week. Gonna buy some tags from ebay and get some set up.

Looking forward to having another feature on my Blackberry.

I also cant wait until I can pay for things with NFC too.

Starbucks UK has this already setup ive read. �5 a cup of coffee though they can stick it up their.....I dont like NFC that much !!!
    03-12-12 08:02 AM
    For Peer2Peer mode of NFC (BB Tag, Google Beam) you need other devices with NFC.
    RIM alone is selling more than 11 million new phones every quarter (most of them NFC enabled). Even if you don't find any with another person with an NFC enabled phone, you still have Read/Write mode (smart poster, NFCShortcuts, etc) and Card Emulation (Payment (deployed in Turkey on BBs), Transit system payment, Building Access Control)

NFC is going to stay. I think RIM has done its job, the rest is on developers to use the feature and on Banks and Carriers to get their as* moving and agree on a win-win business model for the NFC Payment.
    03-12-12 08:09 AM
    Here is the link to Commbank's 'Kaching' app for anyone interested

What is Commbank Kaching? - Commonwealth Bank Group
    03-12-12 08:14 AM
    Just ordered a starter kit off Ebay....What can I do with them ? IE How do I program the Tags ?

WW
    03-12-12 08:59 AM
    Just ordered a starter kit off Ebay....What can I do with them ? IE How do I program the Tags ?

WW
    Asuming you have bought a type that is supported by current BB OS (for example MiFare ULTRALIGHT):

If you want it to open a web page, then you can program it with Smart Tags app (free app, most likely already installed on your BB) to program it and use it (tap to open a web page).

If you want to do more and fancy things (like the ones mentioned in http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/), you need NFCShortcuts and maybe also ShortcutMe (macro-enabled) apps.
    03-12-12 09:27 AM
    Does BB Tag transfer large files entirely over NFC, or the NFC is used to pair devices and then transfer the file over Bluetooth?
    NFC is used to setup the transfer. Then the actual transfer is sent over a Bluetooth connection.
    03-12-12 09:50 AM
    There won't be any meaningful uses until Apple invents and patents NFC. At that point in time, it will be rolled out globally, RIM will have to pay patent infringement fees, and any phone without an NFC chip will immediately be panned in reviews by BGR and Engadget.
    04-11-12 05:32 AM
    There won't be any meaningful uses until Apple invents and patents NFC. At that point in time, it will be rolled out globally, RIM will have to pay patent infringement fees, and any phone without an NFC chip will immediately be panned in reviews by BGR and Engadget.
    Lol!

Unlike RIM, Apple is very good at advertising.
    04-11-12 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD