Newbie + Need Help ASAP please :)
Hello Newbie here from South Africa
I want to buy a 2 month old BlackBerry Bold 9900 from someone as I'm in the UK and it's about 3x cheaper than those in RSA.
I already own a 9780 and love it so I don't need any of that. My question for you experts is:
I will need it to work on VodacomSA when I get home so I can use BBM and AppWorld. Is this possible? If. Or how do I unlock the phone so I can use it on SA Vodacom. The person who owns it said it was O2 UK if that helps. Will it work the same as my Bold I bought in SA or will it be slower or something similar?
Pleaaseeee I really want this phone so I hope it works other than me wasting 2k on a BB I can't use.
- 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM #2
I'm pretty certain Vodacom SA uses 900MHz GSM and 2100MHz UMTS frequencies, so you maybe ok with an O2 UK 9900. Best thing to do is to check the 3G bands of your current 9780, and make sure your new phone has the same bands. Just go to Options > Device > About Device Versions and check there.
If your 9780 has 3G bands 1, 4 & 8 then you will probably be safer getting a Vodafone UK 9900 that has the same bands, as the O2 9900 has 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6. Obviously which ever phone you get will need unlocking first before you can use it.
- 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM #6
It should work ok on 3G as both devices have 3G band 1 (2100MHz), but I can't say for sure. Sorry.
A Vodafone UK 9900 will definitely work though, as it also has 3G bands 1, 4 & 8.
So what can I do if I buy it and it doesn't work in SA? Is there any way to change the bands?
do you know where I can get a Vodafone UK BB 9900 for under 200 pounds?
How do I unlock the phone for free?
Thanks alot for the help thus far
- By megan1987 in forum BlackBerry Curve 8350iReplies: 4Last Post: 03-28-2009, 09:58 PM
- By djeli in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 14Last Post: 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM
- By thismonsterlives in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 36Last Post: 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM
- By kittycatspawz in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 3Last Post: 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
- By vonniedidit in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 2Last Post: 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM