I've seen numerous references about how it takes an OS time to "settle in" and/or that battery pulls are required required for it to do so. I really don't get this and I can't help but wonder if it's become an urban legend.

When I got my bold, it had 7.0.0.585 installed. Relative to 7.1.0.391, which I'm using now, this OS was a POS and I did have to occasionally pull the battery. When I upgraded to 7.1.0.267, it worked fine from the start. Same for 7.1.0.284. Same for 7.1.0.342. Same for 7.1.0.402. Same for 7.1.0.391. It did not take time to "settle in". Battery consumption did not start out high, then reduce after several days or several cycles of battery pulls.

Since I upgraded from 7.0.0.585, I've pulled the battery exactly once, which was last night, because for some reason, the compass would not calibrate. (It did calibrate after I pulled the battery and it's still calibrated so it worked.) Aside from that, the Otterbox Commuter had been on the phone since I got it and I expect it will be months before I remove it again.

When you think about it, it makes no sense that the OS would have to settle in. When the processor boots, the OS allocates all of the data structures it requires. Similarly, the applications allocate what they require as they are used. My phone has never once performed differently over time, other than free memory going up and down based on what I'm doing with the phone. I can't see any reason why the OS should perform differently over time and from my experience, it doesn't.
    05-13-12 11:09 AM
    I would not go as far to call it an "urban legend", but there is some basis for this with the older OS.

The suspicion (someone with more info will undoubtedly correct me if I'm off base here) was that the OS "settling" was really just about the OS coordinating and writing it's libraries with the information particular to that specific OS installation. The device does most of that when it boots. As such, pulling the battery is the best way to do that since a three-minute battery pull completely clears the volitile memory and makes for a clean boot.

The newer versions of the OS have become much better about initialization. Perhaps the code in the OS is written better. I don't know. In the present day, however, one or two reboots seems to do the trick.
    05-13-12 11:32 AM
    One thing I have noticed for sure is that a 'Battery Pull' is not A 'Full Reset' A full reset is 'Alt + RShift - Del'

Sent from my Tool, not the 'Toy'
    05-13-12 11:48 AM
    I would not go as far to call it an "urban legend", but there is some basis for this with the older OS.

The suspicion (someone with more info will undoubtedly correct me if I'm off base here) was that the OS "settling" was really just about the OS coordinating and writing it's libraries with the information particular to that specific OS installation. The device does most of that when it boots. As such, pulling the battery is the best way to do that since a three-minute battery pull completely clears the volitile memory and makes for a clean boot.

The newer versions of the OS have become much better about initialization. Perhaps the code in the OS is written better. I don't know. In the present day, however, one or two reboots seems to do the trick.
    I don't claim to have any knowledge of the internals of BBOS, but for any other computer OS, everything you refer to is done either at the time of installation or at the first boot. Some OSes which have memory leaks will benefit from periodic reboots, but they don't typically perform differently from one reboot to the next.

The only time I've had to do a battery pull for a longer period of time was to force the network to re-register my phone when I was having roaming troubles overseas.
    05-13-12 12:02 PM
    One thing I have noticed for sure is that a 'Battery Pull' is not A 'Full Reset' A full reset is 'Alt + RShift - Del'

Sent from my Tool, not the 'Toy'
    A reset is accomplished by the three-finger mode you described. All that does, though, is reset timing and clear some RAM. It is a restart, not a reload. Pulling the battery not only does the restart, but it also allows the components that keep the short-term memory energized to completely discharge, clearing the volitile memory. This lets the OS reload from non-volitile long-term storage . It is much the same as hitting a three-finger reset on your Windows machine versus completely powering down and rebooting.
    05-13-12 12:04 PM
    A reset is accomplished by the three-finger mode you described. All that does, though, is reset timing and clear some RAM. It is a restart, not a reload. Pulling the battery not only does the restart, but it also allows the components that keep the short-term memory energized to completely discharge, clearing the volitile memory. This lets the OS reload from non-volitile long-term storage . It is much the same as hitting a three-finger reset on your Windows machine versus completely powering down and rebooting.
    I found some details abotu this on the blackberry website in KB02141:

There are two options for performing a reset: a hard reset and a soft reset.

A hard reset involves physically removing the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone and then reinserting it. To perform a hard reset, complete the following steps:

Remove the battery cover from the back of the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Remove the battery, and then reinsert it after a few seconds.
    Replace the battery cover.

A soft reset is a three-key combination that resets the BlackBerry smartphone without removing the battery. It is only available on BlackBerry smartphone models with a QWERTY keyboard. Do not attempt to perform a soft reset on BlackBerry smartphones that are equipped with SureType� technology or the SurePress� touch screen, such as the BlackBerry� Pearl� Series, BlackBerry� Pearl� Flip Series, and BlackBerry� Storm� smartphone.

To perform a soft reset, complete the following steps:

Press and hold the Alt key on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    While holding down the Alt key, press and hold the Right Shift key.
    With both of those buttons still pressed, press the Backspace/Delete key. The display on the BlackBerry smartphone turns off to indicate that the reset has started, and the keys can now be released.

There is no mention of keeping the battery out for longer than a few seconds. I wish there was a way to do a hard reset from the keyboard. Not that I have to do it very often, but it's really a PITA to take the shell off the phone.
    05-13-12 01:34 PM
    um... i notice if you do a battery pull it takes longer to load in the boot screen
    and if you hit the 3 keys it will be a bit faster
    05-13-12 01:50 PM
    Yep, that is correct and it's normal.
    05-13-12 01:58 PM
    My boot time after battery pulls take around 1-1.5 mins. Quite happy
    05-13-12 02:07 PM
    um... i notice if you do a battery pull it takes longer to load in the boot screen
    and if you hit the 3 keys it will be a bit faster
    Yep, that is correct and it's normal.

That's because the battery pull (or hard reset) forces the phone to reload portions of the OS into working storage before it restarts. A restart (or soft reset) just starts the phone with the working OS already loaded. The major effect of the soft reset is to clear some working storage and to reset timing, which is everything in a digital device. It skips the OS reload task. That's why the soft reset is quicker to start the phone.
    05-13-12 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD