Sometimes the indicator (small yellow envelope with the asteric) doesn't go away, even if I've viewed all mail. Requires reboot to go away. Nothing in saved.

Any ideas?
    02-09-12 08:55 PM
    Open messages, press alt-I, alt-O, alt-P, alt-M and V, and missed calls show up as a message notification too even after you have called them back. Should be one of those.
    Last edited by albee 1; 02-09-12 at 09:47 PM.
    dgzagm likes this.
    02-09-12 09:44 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.

There are no "new" astericks on the individual (larger) icons down in the pane. But the yellow envelope with the asterick has appeared yet again.

Any other ideas? Don't want to get in the habit of a daily reboot...
    02-10-12 06:03 AM
    Check your saved messages folder. Like the poster stated above it has to be of those.

It's an unread message in a folder that you haven't found yet.
    02-10-12 06:43 AM
    Sadly, doing a battery pull sometimes, but not always fixes this.
    02-10-12 12:48 PM
    As stated in the initial post, nothing in saved.

I supposed I could have inadvertently pushed an unreal email to file folder. But after the reboot, that new message indicator is gone. So if I had done this, wouldn't it still be there after reboot?

Besides, this has been happening more frequently lately. No way I keep accidentally filing unreal emails...
    Last edited by rfkuehn; 02-10-12 at 08:44 PM.
    02-10-12 08:34 PM
    +1, I think it's a bug. I'm on 7.1.0.163
    02-10-12 09:20 PM
    When you have the indicator on and are in the message list...hit "u" to go to the next unread message...and see if it actually brings you to an unread message.
    02-10-12 09:56 PM
    Could be a missed call.
    I believe missed calls go into your messages inbox by default.
    02-10-12 10:35 PM
    When you have the indicator on and are in the message list...hit "u" to go to the next unread message...and see if it actually brings you to an unread message.
    Even I press the U button and the message still sticks. Sometimes a battery pull works for me.
    02-10-12 11:11 PM
    I am not sure if you try this before, make sure you go to the main Messages folder, not the individual inbox folder when you check for the new message. Some people hide the main messages folder, like I do and if you did that on the BB menu click on Show all icons and you should be able to see the Messages folder.
    02-10-12 11:29 PM
    Happens to me as well. I figured out that this is an Update on a already accepted Meeting invite. It doesn't show up in the messages folder, but in my Lotus Notes Mailbox it is there.

Even when read on the Mailbox you need to reboot to get the indicator off.

Seems like a bug.
    happytobemom likes this.
    02-11-12 03:06 AM
    That's got to be it then - Lotus. Yet one more reason to hate Lotus, as if there weren't enough already.
    02-11-12 11:46 AM
    , I am having hte same issue and it s driving me nuts, I am on Gmail, and I rebooted three times including one with a battery pull, but nothing semm to do it, the new message indicator still sticks around...I am on the latest leak for the 9900.
    Any other clues to solve this annoying issue?
    04-10-12 05:33 AM
    This has been driving me crazy for weeks now; reboot did not fix. Hitting alt-I and finding a BB App Store message (I think) complaining it can't logon to BB App store was the culprit; it had a "Validate" button in the message. I deleted the notification, which was not found by hitting "U" and that was it! I'm so thankful for this forum to help me find it.

Dan
    08-01-12 07:57 AM
    I can confirm, I just witnessed the sticking indicator light happened exactly when a meeting invite update was sent. That is the mystery!

I can only seem to get rid of it with a battery pull, but at least I now know what has been causing these pesky message indicators this past year. Thank you for your help!!
    12-04-12 02:14 PM
    I guess no one has tried the tried and true method. Try holding down alt, right side shift and delete all at the same time until it restarts. If the red led comes on and stays then you have done it and you can let go of the buttons, no need to wait for screen to turn off or phone to restart. It's happened to me 3 times and all three times it has worked.

Also in case someone doesn't know you can open the "task manager" in the bbos by holding down ALT and hitting "L,G,L,G ". That opens up the log, once there you hit the menu button and hit "clear log". After a few seconds all the text will go away except for 2-3 lines and then u can exit out of that. It works when your browser is slow or doesn't seem to work, when the whole phone seems slow, when battery life isn't up to par and even when your 3g and wifi act wonky. Hope this helps
    12-04-12 05:06 PM
    I have the same problem too sometimes
    12-05-12 09:47 AM
    First I tried:
    I tried marking READ for: Texts, Voicemails, Saved Messages, Browser Messages Folder, WAP Messages Folder, Voicemails, Cleared My Voicemails.
    Rebooted with Alt, Shift, Del - Twice
    Pulled Battery

But this is what worked to clear the indicator
    1. Turn New Messages Indicator Off (then confirmed it was gone)
    2. Turn New Messages Indicator On (then confirmed it was gone)
    3. Sent myself and Email (Indicator showed)
    4. Read Email (Indicator gone)

Directions on how to Enabled/Disable Indicator
    Hide the new or unopened message indicator - User Guide - BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone - 6.0

On the Home screen, click the Messages icon.
    Press the key > Options > Message Display and Actions.
    To hide the new message indicator, clear the Display New Message Indicator check box.
    To hide the unopened message indicator, change the Display Message Count field to None.
    Press the key > Save.
    02-04-13 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD