Hi guys, I just upgraded from a bold 9700 and I really love this device.

I was just wondering what tips some of you may have that make your device run best. What OS are you running? What apps do you have and use the most? What have you used NFC for? Anything and everything is appreciated!

Oh and what a sexy looking device
    07-09-12 09:11 AM
    Browsing and music, weather info, BB Traffic for gps.

I am having trouble with nfc - can't get it to work but maybe I've got the wrong tags.
    07-09-12 09:51 AM
    Hi guys, I just upgraded from a bold 9700 and I really love this device.

I was just wondering what tips some of you may have that make your device run best. What OS are you running? What apps do you have and use the most? What have you used NFC for? Anything and everything is appreciated!

Oh and what a sexy looking device
    Update your OS to the latest 7.1.0.523.

Try Advance OS and LED, it is a free app and is superb !!!
    07-09-12 09:52 AM
    agree with OS and LED, verry usefull. Try the crackberry forum app too ;p
    I also love nobex radio, use it almost every day! Enjoy your new device!
    07-09-12 09:58 AM
    Got my new 9900 (ATT) last week (7/3) with my annual upgrade, from Torch 9800. STILL not migrated over yet! Was going to do it the 4th, but with the holiday BBQing and yard work, never got around to it. THEN, was going to do it this weekend, but had family traveling through.

I'm dying to get the swap made, dying to use that keyboard with Bridge Remote on my 64gb PlayBook, and experience the faster speed of the fauxG/HPSA+ on my business software on the PlayBook (web-based CRM / corporate file manager, SugarSync, etc.

Already bought 2 BB docks on sale from CrackBerry (one for me and one for my GF's 30 days new Vzw 9930), and just minutes ago ordered the Seidio Convert Combo case/holster from CB (today's Deal of the Day - P.S. - only two left in stock when I ordered) and the Seidio dock that works with the case on.

I will work on getting .523 loaded before I make the SIM swap (I can do that first, right?)
    07-09-12 10:47 AM
    Got my new 9900 (ATT) last week (7/3) with my annual upgrade, from Torch 9800. STILL not migrated over yet! Was going to do it the 4th, but with the holiday BBQing and yard work, never got around to it. THEN, was going to do it this weekend, but had family traveling through.

I'm dying to get the swap made, dying to use that keyboard with Bridge Remote on my 64gb PlayBook, and experience the faster speed of the fauxG/HPSA+ on my business software on the PlayBook (web-based CRM / corporate file manager, SugarSync, etc.

Already bought 2 BB docks on sale from CrackBerry (one for me and one for my GF's 30 days new Vzw 9930), and just minutes ago ordered the Seidio Convert Combo case/holster from CB (today's Deal of the Day - P.S. - only two left in stock when I ordered) and the Seidio dock that works with the case on.

I will work on getting .523 loaded before I make the SIM swap (I can do that first, right?)
    Be careful not to migrate over any apps that are not OS7 compatible, could cause you problems.
    07-09-12 10:50 AM
    7.1 was a huge improvement eh. My phones feel so much better, plus it fixed the little things
    07-09-12 10:52 AM
    Be careful not to migrate over any apps that are not OS7 compatible, could cause you problems.
    DM handle that automatically or use AppWorld to re-download as a way to root out suspects? Have only ever migrated via DM device swap, and have never done non-OTA OS loads going back 5 or 6 Berries to my earliest Curve. Never really needed to, but need 7.1 (ATT!) for HotSpot, NFC, etc . . .
    07-09-12 11:05 AM
    What is the best copy of .523 to get because I am on Bell, do any canadian carriers have it?

Thanks for the tip for os and led, I'll try it out!
    07-09-12 11:09 AM
    DM handle that automatically or use AppWorld to re-download as a way to root out suspects? Have only ever migrated via DM device swap, and have never done non-OTA OS loads going back 5 or 6 Berries to my earliest Curve. Never really needed to, but need 7.1 (ATT!) for HotSpot, NFC, etc . . .

Be careful with which OS 7.1 you load. Some 7.1 don't play well with AT&T. Read some having Mic issues. Also, If i'm wrong please correct me on this but I believe NFC is blocked on AT&T phones.
    07-09-12 11:21 AM
    What is the best copy of .523 to get because I am on Bell, do any canadian carriers have it?

Thanks for the tip for os and led, I'll try it out!
    this is supposed to be the best .523 to load as it has a smaller .sfi file (less language support) and is reported to have a better signal

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...64A511E24FC904

Just download, install and delete the vendor.xml files and you can load it on teh phone via DM

Advance OS is a great app, covers a lot of bases and does them all very well, plus the developer usually answers queries posted on this forum in a matter of hours.
    07-09-12 11:26 AM
    Be careful with which OS 7.1 you load. Some 7.1 don't play well with AT&T. Read some having Mic issues. Also, If i'm wrong please correct me on this but I believe NFC is blocked on AT&T phones.
    been reading up, and looks like one of the .523's is all good, and also the ATT mic issue has some indications of being a regional issue tied to some OS's.

Right, no NFC on the ATT OS, but will be able to access and use for NFCShortCuts and ShortCutMe with OS 7.1 load, right? Hoping to use NFC for those Apps and connectivity with GF's 9930 and soon to be purchased BB MusicGateway.

Also, OS and LED is definitely a must! Concur with all those comments and endorsements - Sultan is a +++ asset and seems to always be engaging and available!

Others for me : Endomondo, MileageTracker, BBTraffic, BBTravel, Expensify, SugarSync, Evernote, BHive Tasks, ProEmailTemplates, BBM Music, Vlingo, iHeart Radio
    07-09-12 12:14 PM
    Hey,
    Congratulations on the new BB. My suggestions are:

1. to change from universal search to App Launcher. It gets you to calendar, address book, calculator, saved messages, etc. by just pushing a key on your awesome keyboard.

2. set it to automatically clear your log. I don't know why BB does not have this as a default but anyway. From search type memory, then select memory cleaning and it will do it for you. So long lag and slowdown. Obviously you can't do this if your corporation is tracking everything you do but I don't.

3. If you want to automate the device beyond its current form. I suggest you purchase SCM and NFC Launcher. I got some NFC tags, while I was at Sprint, and it worked like a charm. I could e-mail my wife I was on the way home, launch Drive Safe.ly, turn off WiFi, Turn on BT all by just placing the device in the car cradle. No buttons, no pushing, nothing. This is pretty cool. If you do want to try it, check the blogs on NFC or send me a message and I'll forward you the e-mail from someone that helped me set it up.

4. If you like working out or are considering it then try Endomondo. It is awesome.

5. BTW, I believe you can still download Vlingo for free so take advantage of that. I don't use it much but sometimes it is just what you need when your hand are full.

6. Try BB Music, BB Traffic (free voice nav), DropBox.

Enjoy
    07-09-12 12:26 PM
    Sell it or use it as a paper weight would be my advice. Might also work as a door stop, wedged underneath.
    07-09-12 12:42 PM
    2. set it to automatically clear your log. I don't know why BB does not have this as a default but anyway. From search type memory, then select memory cleaning and it will do it for you. So long lag and slowdown. Obviously you can't do this if your corporation is tracking everything you do but I don't.
    Memory cleaning doesn't clear your event log, it just removes sensitive data from a few databases. The event log is viewed and cleared by typing Alt + LGLG.
    Anyway, neither of these have any impact on your device's responsiveness... and your company would never know if you used them

Sent from my  Bold�
    07-09-12 12:42 PM
    Be sure to upgrade to 7.1, an app that I've been using a lot lately is BB Traffic. Great app, voice turn by turn navigation. I also use quicklaunch, Berryweather, Poynt, Pandora, Tunein Radio and Scoremobile.
    07-09-12 02:13 PM
    Sell it or use it as a paper weight would be my advice. Might also work as a door stop, wedged underneath.
    Ehh. Why so rude ?
    BTW OP, enjoy your new device.
    07-09-12 02:42 PM
    Ehh. Why so rude ?
    BTW OP, enjoy your new device.
    No worry, member has been banned....
    jweihrauch likes this.
    07-09-12 02:50 PM
    Update to 7.1

The usual bbm / email / calls & browsing.

I have a few nfc tags set up for bluetooth - wifi - bridge on & off with another to launch crackberry.
    07-09-12 03:12 PM
    Hanks for all the replies! It's nice to have some positivity around here. What are the best nfc tags to get?
    07-09-12 03:49 PM
    Hanks for all the replies! It's nice to have some positivity around here. What are the best nfc tags to get?
    Buy Mifare Ultralight tags. It seems the Mifare Classics WON'T work.
    07-09-12 03:53 PM
    this is supposed to be the best .523 to load as it has a smaller .sfi file (less language support) and is reported to have a better signal

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...64A511E24FC904

Just download, install and delete the vendor.xml files and you can load it on teh phone via DM

Advance OS is a great app, covers a lot of bases and does them all very well, plus the developer usually answers queries posted on this forum in a matter of hours.
    This is what I want correct? BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.1.0.1646 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 7.1.0.1646
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 7.1.0.523
    Software Platform: 5.1.0.393
    File name: 9900M_PBr7.1.0_rel1646_PL5.1.0.393_A7.1.0.523_Digi cel_Group.exe
    File size: 259.03MB

Why not 7.1.0.579?
    07-09-12 03:59 PM
    This is what I want correct?7.1.0.523

Why not 7.1.0.579?
    Correct... and there is no 7.1.0.579 only 7.0.0.579 which is old news now.

Sent from my  Bold�
    07-09-12 04:48 PM
    Correct... and there is no 7.1.0.579 only 7.0.0.579 which is old news now.

Sent from my  Bold�
    Thank you! It is actually restoring right now
    07-09-12 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD