Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New BlackBerry 9900

So I recently was given a 9900 and I want to switch back and forth between my iPhone 4s and the BlackBerry. Since my data is not BIS I'm very limited to what I can do on the 9900. If I change my data to a blackberry specific data plan will this effect anything when I switch my sim to the iPhone?

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2BE26314

Default Re: New BlackBerry 9900

Not that I'm aware of...I have a few friends that switch back and forth with no ill effects.
    Powered by my BlackBerry 9000>9700>9650>9780>9900>9790>Q10>Z30>PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1xxx

deezy@berrylicio.us
    CrackBerry Abuser

From my understanding, the only special thing about BIS Plan is the BIS service attached to your service number. You still get text/phone credits, and sometimes mobile data as well. These may all be used by iPhone.

For example, my $40 BIS plan includes $500 phone/text credits, 600MB mobile data, and unlimited Blackberry BIS. If I were to use an iPhone, I can still make calls and texts and use the 600 MB mobile data to browse internet
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Well I switched my data to BIS and it was not compatible with my iPhone. Since my iPhone is the device I use the most I switched back and will have to deal with limited functionality when using my 9900.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,495 Global Posts

Sorry to jump in, but I'm curious...

When you switch back and forth between the iPhone and BlackBerry, or visa-versa, do you use your ORIGINAL SIM that you had in the BlackBerry or iPhone?

Example:
    I swap from my iPhone and BlackBerry often. As you're aware the SIMs are different sizes. So, anytime I swap back and forth, I give AT&T the new SIM number (I have spares). I was under the impression that once a SIM has been used, and removed from the system, i.e. you switch to a different SIM for a different device, it CAN'T be used again, no?

Thanks in advance

Ivan
    Instagram: iamivanwilliams
    Twitter: iamivanwilliams
    Thanked by:
    BocaJuniors (11-02-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,453 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by BB_Wally View Post
    Well I switched my data to BIS and it was not compatible with my iPhone. Since my iPhone is the device I use the most I switched back and will have to deal with limited functionality when using my 9900.
    This might be an AT&T thing...I'm on verizon and used to do the exact same thing...once you add the BIS plan to your account and then switch devices (which I was able to do online without any CS interaction), the IPhone would have the unlimited data plan...I was able to use either device with full functionality. Since there was no SIM involved, I'm thinking that this is a GSM thing where the plan is tied to the SIM...
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    private

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Sorry to jump in, but I'm curious...

When you switch back and forth between the iPhone and BlackBerry, or visa-versa, do you use your ORIGINAL SIM that you had in the BlackBerry or iPhone?

Example:
    I swap from my iPhone and BlackBerry often. As you're aware the SIMs are different sizes. So, anytime I swap back and forth, I give AT&T the new SIM number (I have spares). I was under the impression that once a SIM has been used, and removed from the system, i.e. you switch to a different SIM for a different device, it CAN'T be used again, no?

Thanks in advance

Ivan
    Yes, this is correct- iPhone's take MicroSIM, 9900 have the larger SIM card...once, I taped the MicroSIM in place [in my BB], and it worked, but reception was much spottier, lol.

This may be carrier-specific, but from my understanding/experience in switching from iPhone to BB, data plans are interchangeable- mine, for instance, will work on both iPhone and BB, although I suppose if you have an older contract, it could be possible to have a older version of data plan (if that makes sense?) Regardless of what your plan is, you should be able to call your carrier and have them switch it over without any impact to your overall bill.

That being said, my fiancee got an iPhone on promotion (6GB for the price of 1GB!) and although he considered switching back when the 9900 came out, our carrier (Rogers) told him that because it was a promotional data package [that doesn't exist anymore], he would lose his 6GB and would have to pay more money for less gigs.

Which...doesn't make sense, since they told me that it works for either...Hmmm...maybe it depends on who you speak to on the Customer Care line, lol.
    Notches on my BlackBerry belt: (2003-present)
    7290 ☆ 7100 ☆ 8700 (x3) ☆ 8800 ☆ 8100 ☆ 8300 ☆ 9520 ☆ 8900 ☆ 9000 (x3) ☆ 9700 (x2) ☆ 9780 ☆ 9800 ☆ 8520 ☆ 9900 ☆ 9810 + Playbook ☆
    ★ Today: Q5 [white] ★
    My CB Feedback
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

Default New BlackBerry 9900

I switch all the time on Verizon from my 9930 to my IPhone 4. It's easy on Verizon. *228 option 1 and 30 seconds later your out the door with which ever phone you choose.

Sent from my iPhone 4
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

So... I have Bell as my carrier, and I do use the same SIM card. I have an adapter so my microSIM fits into the 9900. I know you can't use the same SIM card for different accounts but it can switch for different devices. As soon as I switched my data to BlackBerry specific I gained (obviously) full access to BBM etc but none of the data worked on my iPhone. I would really like to be able to switch between phones and have full access to all features. I'm just not sure how set up my plan to do that.