Im seeing this particular string all over the Bold 9930.

net_rim_bb_ribbon_app (90)

Im really curious if this has anything to do using with the cpu or effecting my battery at all.
    10-29-11 06:37 PM
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_app is your home screen... so seeing it show up a lot is normal.
    10-29-11 06:39 PM
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_app is your home screen... so seeing it show up a lot is normal.
    thank you!
    10-29-11 09:02 PM
    thanks for the info - I was also looking for it since it used alone 2.67 % per hour and overall 7% drain with almost no use (only wifi+2G activated, so you could call it idle)

:/

using 7.1.0.190 and sadly it has not improved. Used 7.0.0.598, also drained my battery arround 7% per hour. Installed this only a week ago. Before using .296 and getting 3%.

All figures are with 2G! :'(

I will have to wipe it again, hopefully this will somehow fix it.

3% 2G 5% 3G

I could live with, but 7% is to much, can't get through the day (and also afraid my battery will brake as I have since install of .598 8% dropp from 99+ to 92%, even if the 9900 is still on the usb cable, loading again, loosing again... really terrible, wish I had never upgraded, at least not to .598 :/ )
    01-14-12 07:41 PM
    read the various threads, one is about battery sucking apps. you might be surprised how many apps keep running in the background, even though you don't see them in the 'switch application' screen.
    01-15-12 02:58 PM
    Thanks!
    What is net_rim_bb_qm_peer?
    01-15-12 03:07 PM
    people keep on stating apps that suck battery life! well im sure there are but these are not you problem.
    I picked up my 9900 just before xmas and the battery life sucked, after lots of experiments, reloading firmware ect-, still no change and im talking about 10-12 hours on standby alone.

after some discussions with Vodafone they sent me a new battery, 2-3 charge cycles which all lasted over 18 hours and still some in reserve it rapidly dropped down to the same old 10-12hours.
    last week Vodafone swapped my 9900 for another one.

so far so good, ive got to the 18 hour mark 2-3 times now all with 40-50% left except today where I used my sat nav on the 9900 for about 2 hours and as a result 12 hours after I took my phone off charge it has just hit 20% and needs charging. (to be expected).

back to my point about apps, after all the trouble ive experianced one of the experiments I tried was a fresh firm ware flash and running without any apps, it made no difference at all.

apps are not to blame, use of the 2g 3g or wi-fi make no difference, not the difference many 9900 users have experianced.
    there is something amiss with the firmware in tbis handset, if you are lucky enough to get a handset that works well, you are indeed very lucky however,well luckier than me.

it will be interesting to see how this one continues to peform.
    01-15-12 03:38 PM
    Thanks!
    What is net_rim_bb_qm_peer?
    That would be BBM.
    01-15-12 05:46 PM
    Bump

I'm seeing this same problem with my 9810 with OS 7.1.0.284. The net_rim_bb_ribbon_app module (Home Screen) is killing my battery. The BlackBerry Device Analyzer shows exactly what is doing it and it refers to that module. I have no idea what is causing it but my battery drains at about 7% per day right now. As noted by gadgetier apps aren't always the culprit.

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this module zap battery like this.

JC
    03-15-12 08:46 PM
    I have just recently started seeing this module pop up in my device analyzer. In fact, yesterday is the first time I've noticed it which just also happens to be the first day that I started using the Seven Point Five theme.

I'm guessing that there is a connection between the two.

Anyone else seeing this module being ran a lot on their device have themes running?
    03-29-12 09:44 PM
    I finally figured out what that module was doing. I was using the Home Screen search to go to the Application Management app and the analyzer app. When you do that it will show "Home Screen" as utilizing CPU in the CPU usage area. If you go directly into Options then to the Application management app and then into the CPU usage app it will show "Options" as utilizing all the CPU. It's a little odd. So, in the end it was me using the search feature to get to the Options that was raising the cpu usage for the ribbon module.

My battery life still sucks compared to my 9800 with OS6.
    03-29-12 09:48 PM
    On my device the net_rim_bb_ribbon_app is running at 17%. Now that has got to be abnormal... Any ideas?
    04-01-12 02:22 PM
    Did you read my post above yours? it happens when you use the homescreen search icon.
    04-01-12 02:54 PM
    Did you read my post above yours? it happens when you use the homescreen search icon.
    Not the case for everyone. I NEVER use the search icon at all.
    04-01-12 02:56 PM
    Do you leave your device on the homescreen when not in use? Ever think that might be why you see CPU usage as high as it is for this app? Try leaving the device parked on the message list instead or some other screen, like BBM...

See if your home screen CPU usages drops - and then let us know.
    04-01-12 03:19 PM
    Do you leave your device on the homescreen when not in use? Ever think that might be why you see CPU usage as high as it is for this app? Try leaving the device parked on the message list instead or some other screen, like BBM...

See if your home screen CPU usages drops - and then let us know.
    Well wouldn't leaving it "parked" in the another app like BBM cause that app's usage to go up? To me, doing that doesn't make any sense. Besides, I never complained about it or said it was a problem, just letting the OP know that I was experiencing the same thing.

I usually put mine on the notifications screen before I lock it.
    Last edited by thatboiwes; 04-01-12 at 03:37 PM.
    04-01-12 03:32 PM
    On my device the net_rim_bb_ribbon_app is running at 17%. Now that has got to be abnormal... Any ideas?
    Is it running at a full 17% or 0.17%?

My top 5 right now are:

net_rim_bb_browser_daemon - 0.74%
    net_rim_bb_fileindexservice - 0.72%
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_app - 0.49%
    net_rim_app_manager - 0.29%
    net_rim_services_impl - 0.21%
    04-01-12 03:35 PM
    I've been having battery problems off and on lately, so I turned on the battery trends monitor in the device analyzer. A little while ago I was surprised to see my phone was completely dead when I pulled it out of my pocket (and hot -- like the processor had been working hard).

A check of the latest graphs revealed a 41%/hr (!) drain rate had come on suddenly at about 5:30pm, instead of the ~1.6% drain rate I normally get. It was drained by 99.93% CPU usage, 99.71% of which was caused by... you guessed it: net_rim_bb_ribbon_app

There definitely seems to be something going on with this app -- I never use the search feature on the home screen so that wasn't it. Around 5:30 I made a very brief phone call. Strange!
    06-26-12 08:27 PM
    I own a Blackberry 9360, and maybe this can help some of you who have battery drain problems:

I monitored the battery drain level for a week, and guess what...

2G: -1% Average Battery Drain
    3G: -15%

I have wifi, bluetooth, NFC,... all turned off.
    09-14-12 03:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD