Hey all--
    I have a 9930 w/ Sprint. Earlier, it was acting buggy (bridge wasn't working w/ my playbook) so I pulled the battery. When it restarted, it took about 5 times as long to reboot. When it finally was back up, everything was back to factory settings. All my data was gone--apps were still there, but back to factory settings as well. I use BB Protect, but when I opened it to try and restore my phone, it asked me to "set up BB Protect" again, like it was a new phone.

I am SOO frustrated. This is the 2nd time this phone has crashed like this. I did a hard back-up on my computer thru the desktop software so I've at least got 80% back, but all the email I sent from the past month: GONE. Texts: GONE. Calendar: GONE. Travel: GONE.

Do you CB experts think there is something serious wrong w/ my phone? Also, why didn't BB Protect work?

I guess I'm going to just have to do a hard back up once a week to be safe. I love my 9930, but if it keeps crashing, I'm going to throw it against the wall!
    10-22-11 09:23 PM
    I make a back up every time I am on the computer, so that means daily. If it is important enough to miss, it is important enough to back up. I would try wiping the phone totally, and reloading the OS.
    10-22-11 09:46 PM
    This phone has huge issues. My family has bought 4 9930 phones and we all have had problems. My wife's phone shut off and never turned back on. She has had the phone for 2 months. I had to reset my phone because it kept giving me the message "null.exception". My sister and bro keep getting the continous loop which keeps resetting the phone. WE ALL HAVE HAD OUR PHONES FOR 2 MONTHS. it is absolutely ridiculous. We all decided that we are going to iPhone.
    10-22-11 09:59 PM
    I don't own anything by Apple. My wife and I own 2 9930s and a PlayBook. Both of us are big BB fans, but this has been frustrating. I will follow Heavy Fluid's advice and back up more regularly. I'm just annoyed bc I thought that is what BB Protect was supposed to do automatically. But I may have misunderstood how that works. I will wait to wipe the phone until this happens again. If it does happen again, then that is probably my only recourse. This morning my phone is about 90% back to regular.
    10-23-11 07:27 AM
    OP, you are one of the many like me w a bad 9930. RIM quality has gone down hill for years as they rush things to market to try and save the RIMTANIC.

I have both a 9930 and an iphone, none are perfect it s all about the company backing up their product and apple is winning w service, knowledge and technology...
    Last edited by pkcable; 10-23-11 at 02:13 PM. Reason: content
    FOIA Gras likes this.
    10-23-11 07:34 AM
    Folks,

You may, or may not have noticed, BUT a couple posts were deleted. Please remember the focus of CB, members helping each other. Lets focus on that. 'Nough said!
    FOIA Gras likes this.
    10-23-11 02:17 PM
    shailu1999, I can speak to first hand experience of only one 9930 but I concur there seems to be, given the number of reports on this forum, a major defect with this product. Mine has bricked after six weeks and Sprint would replace the device without charging me a replacement fee because their business model is that I should pay another $8/month for their service in order to have a defective product replaced without charge and hassle-free.

Bb apologists can troll-bait all they want but does not change the fact that many of these 9900 series are turning themselves into bricks. While I am disappointed no way will I bail on bb for an iPhone which for years left its users without a choice of carriers. I remain a fan of bb but I will not make excuses for defective product and hopeful that RIM will continue to offer a viable alternative to iOS and Android platforms.
    10-23-11 02:17 PM
    I want the 9930 but threads like this stop me in my tracks. It's about the 15th I've read. Ugh. I hope the software is fixed before too long. I'm looking to upgrade In Jan.

As far as the crashing, it must just be defective phone or software. Not sure which. I had major crashing issues with my 9630. Frustrating!
    10-23-11 02:23 PM
    After you set up blackberry protect again you will have the option to restore from an earlier back up. I've done this many times after a full wipe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD