Hi all,

tell me what you think and someone tell the folks at RIM.

So...RIM keeps saying that the devices are still in the "field testing" phase with carriers for whatever reason. So it sounds like all the devices are ready and it's at the carrier stage that it's so slow.

So WTF? Why don't they do what Apple has done and release all their phones unlocked?!?! So many pros to that:

(A) it would get the device out NOW.
    (B) Instead of sounding like total m****f**** idiots a couple of months ago saying that this flagship device would be released and then blaming it on the carriers since it's being delayed
    (C) It would make us little folk happy that we have an unlocked device
    (D) Then update any patches as needed (nothing new there right?)

I'm venting because this is taking so bloody long whereas Apple is releasing very good quality products so frequently. I have an IP4 but want to go back to BB but this delay is ridiculous.

To be totally objective, I can think of a couple of cons like
    (A) releasing a device that might not be network capable - but how different is it to the old BB9000?
    (B) sounding like bigger doofs if they have to recall the device

So...yah, the cons are there. But if they were confident in there device and in the capabilities, there really shouldn't be a problem right?

As I mentioned....I'm venting because that's what this forum is for!! LOL
    07-21-11 08:11 AM
    1. the field testing is done so that the phone doesn't encounter usability issues when used in a variety of situations(for example, freezing due to poor reception) and must be done for all carriers whether it's locked or unlocked. this is to ensure that the handset works properly on its own.

2. apple has never simultaneously offered an unlocked version on their websites as their carrier debuts - the iphone4 has only been available unlocked for maybe 3-4 months
    07-21-11 08:20 AM
    Because Carriers subsidize phones and they want them to stay locked for the duration of the contract. To get it unlocked we would have to pay full price upfront.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 08:21 AM
    The carriers pay RIM to make their phones, they require them to be locked!
    07-21-11 08:47 AM
    Besides a few members if this website, not many people would pay full price for a phone, no matter whether they're saving money or not.

That would be embarrassing for RIM, sold 2,185 phones in a month.

Imagine what guys like BGR would say if this were to occur.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 09:10 AM
    Y'all are so funny. We here at CB are a very small group of BB enthusiasts. Most out there pay no attention to when phones are released let alone announced.
    07-21-11 01:59 PM
    1. the field testing is done so that the phone doesn't encounter usability issues when used in a variety of situations(for example, freezing due to poor reception) and must be done for all carriers whether it's locked or unlocked. this is to ensure that the handset works properly on its own.

2. apple has never simultaneously offered an unlocked version on their websites as their carrier debuts - the iphone4 has only been available unlocked for maybe 3-4 months
    I'm going to have to disagree with point 2 there. I'm pretty sure IP4 has always been sold unlocked. If anything, it's been sold unlocked for quite some time now as I've had my phone for about a year!

But, I will concede to point 1. I think I mentioned that already in my initial post.
    07-21-11 10:34 PM
    Actually I am amazed how the telcos have all of you North Americans by the balls. I would have never bought a locked device with a multiyear contract...
    07-21-11 11:07 PM
    Actually I am amazed how the telcos have all of you North Americans by the balls. I would have never bought a locked device with a multiyear contract...
    I love Verizon and will definitely not be switching away from them anytime soon. So why not get a brand new phone for a great price if I'm happy with their service?

I think people who buy unlocked phones and switch around carriers are wasting their time with all the messing around they do. Grow a pair, make decision, and stick with it...
    07-21-11 11:34 PM
    I'm going to have to disagree with point 2 there. I'm pretty sure IP4 has always been sold unlocked. If anything, it's been sold unlocked for quite some time now as I've had my phone for about a year!
    IP4 has been sold factory unlocked in the US since June 14 of this year. It was sold in Canada last fall factory unlocked and other places around the world also enjoyed factory unlocked. Always been around $650 USD no matter the currency.
    07-22-11 12:02 AM
    Y'all are so funny. We here at CB are a very small group of BB enthusiasts. Most out there pay no attention to when phones are released let alone announced.
    you are exactly right, just like in my family of four people only one its me who cares and tracks all the BB news and stuff, btw we all use bb's
    07-22-11 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD