Hello crackberry users!

I believe my proximity senor on my 9930 is acting strange.

For example, when I connect to a call, the screen usually stays on and shuts off when I put the screen next to my face. And once I move the phone away from my face, the screen lights up.

However, after a battery pull (just in case), the screen turns black right when I connect to a call. And after it turns black, the only way to bring the screen back to life is to end the call. Obviously not a good way of handling the device if i want to access my calender during a phone call etc....

I also noticed the actual senor has a faint, but noticeable red glow coming from it. I know it isn't the notification light because that light is much, much brighter. The proximity sensor is just to the left the notification light.

Any ideas? Should I take it back to Verizon to see if they can get me a replacement phone?
    10-05-11 12:06 PM
    Hello crackberry users!

I believe my proximity senor on my 9930 is acting strange.

For example, when I connect to a call, the screen usually stays on and shuts off when I put the screen next to my face. And once I move the phone away from my face, the screen lights up.

However, after a battery pull (just in case), the screen turns black right when I connect to a call. And after it turns black, the only way to bring the screen back to life is to end the call. Obviously not a good way of handling the device if i want to access my calender during a phone call etc....

I also noticed the actual senor has a faint, but noticeable red glow coming from it. I know it isn't the notification light because that light is much, much brighter. The proximity sensor is just to the left the notification light.

Any ideas? Should I take it back to Verizon to see if they can get me a replacement phone?
    Sounds like there is definately something wrong with the sensor. My device works just fine as far as proximity sensor goes.
    10-05-11 12:50 PM
    Yeah that's what I figured.

I mean it was working perfectly in the past but just all of a sudden, started acting strange. I hope this is a temporary problem.

If not, I hope if i take it into Verizon, they will replace the phone. I do have insurance on it if that helps hehe
    10-05-11 01:53 PM
    My proximity sensor goofed on me one time. If you notice, when a call comes through the sensor starts to faintly glow, and after the call it goes off. Well, I remember one time I got a call and the sensor didn't turn off after I ignored it. I ended up doing a battery pull to reset the device, and that did the trick. Haven't had the issue again but I do pay attention now to make sure it turns off after I get off of the call.

I'm assuming that it's an OS glitch that will probably be fixed in an OS update. Your insurance wouldn't apply because the replacement would be covered under the manufacturers warranty. Just watch that sensor and make sure it turns off after a call, that's what I do...
    10-05-11 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD