Check out the screen shot. Note the new icon.
    Also note that T-mobile is showing on the top even though the Mobile Network is turned off. Call quality was amazing!

I love TMO + BB!
    manny745i likes this.
    12-30-11 05:13 AM
    Is this only possible for T-Mobile users? Didn't even know about this
    12-30-11 05:22 AM
    This is on the 7.1 right?
    12-30-11 06:06 AM
    Is this only possible for T-Mobile users? Didn't even know about this
    It's only available for carriers that support UMA... TMO USA, Rogers Canada, Orange UK etc.

This is on the 7.1 right?
    Correct.
    manny745i and Bilaal like this.
    12-30-11 06:12 AM
    It's only available for carriers that support UMA... TMO USA, Rogers Canada, Orange UK etc.

Correct.
    Thanks for the info, Phil
    12-30-11 06:21 AM
    Wish we had wifi calling....
    12-30-11 07:38 AM
    Also note that T-mobile is showing on the top even though the Mobile Network is turned off. Call quality was amazing!

I love TMO + BB!
    We've had this for over a year now in the UK.. on Orange. Just keep your Mobile Network settings to Wifi Preferred and everytime you connect to Wifi calls will be routed through UMA will be activated. No need to uncheck Mobile so that if Wifi signal drops the mobile network takes over automatically. Also, if you set it to Mobile Network Preferred the calls get routed through the mibile network but data still goes through Wifi.

Really good stuff. Don't mistaken it for VOIP though.. not the same thing and your network allocated minutes still get billed even if calling through wifi/UMA only and Mobile is unchecked.
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 12-30-11 at 07:56 AM.
    12-30-11 07:52 AM
    We've had this for over a year now in the UK.. in Orange. Just keep your Mobile Network settings to Wifi Prefered and everytime you connect to Wifi calls will be routed through UMA will be activated. No need to uncheck Mobile so that if Wifi signal drops the mobile network takes over automatically. Also, if you set it to Mobile Network Preferred the calls get routed through the mibile network but data etc still go through Wifi.

Really good stuff. Don't mistaken it for VOIP though.. not the same thing and your network allocated minutes still get billed even if calling through wifi/UMA.
    UMA on older BlackBerries is completely different to Wifi Calling on new models, and so are the settings.

The way Orange UK charge for UMA is also completely different to way North American carriers do, as it's often free there.
    12-30-11 07:58 AM
    UMA on older BlackBerries is completely different to Wifi Calling on new models, and so are the settings.

The way Orange UK charge for UMA is also completely different to way North American carriers do, as it's often free there.
    Dude.. who said anything about an older blackberry? I use a Curve 9360 on OS7 so nothing old bout the handset. Also.. trust me.. he is on Wifi but you can still see it shows the network name. If you do not have any minutes or make any calls that are chargeable you will get charged.

Nothing different.. The idea behind UMA is to boost your signal so you have better call quality/no dropped calls and data services in an area where service is sketchy. It does not save you any money in respect to phone calls (but will on data obviously).
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 12-30-11 at 08:06 AM.
    12-30-11 08:03 AM
    Dude.. who said anything about an older blackberry? I use a Curve 9360 on OS7 so nothing old bout the handset. Also.. trust me.. he is on Wifi but you can still see it shows the network name. If you do not have any minutes or make any calls that are chargeable you will get charged.

Nothing different.. The idea behind UMA is to boost your signal so you have better call quality/no dropped calls and data services in an area where service is sketchy. It does not save you any money in respect to phone calls (but will on data obviously).
    Totally different.

The 9360 uses UMA via a chip in the device, the 9900 has no such chip and uses Wifi Calling via an integrated app in OS7.1

The main difference between UMA and Wifi Calling, is that if you make a phone call on WiFi and walk out of range while on the call you will drop the call. The app is not made to switch over to 3G/4G seamlessly like UMA does.
    12-30-11 08:23 AM
    Totally different.

The 9360 uses UMA via a chip in the device, the 9900 has no such chip and uses Wifi Calling via an integrated app in OS7.1

The main difference between UMA and Wifi Calling, is that if you make a phone call on WiFi and walk out of range while on the call you will drop the call. The app is not made to switch over to 3G/4G seamlessly like UMA does.
    That's fair enough.. just a worse version of UMA as you can't auto switch to cellular if Wifi signal drops (and vice versa). Having said that... the calls outside your free minutes/ chargeable numbers etc will still get charged at the network rate.

And for the record...from Wikipedia - "This was followed shortly by T-Mobile US on June 27, 2007.[9] T-Mobile's service, originally named "Hotspot Calling", and rebranded to "Wi-Fi Calling" in 2009, allows users to seamlessly transfer from the T-Mobile cellular network to an 802.11x wireless network or T-Mobile HotSpot in the United States."

and according to T-Mibile:

""Both implementations work with our Wi-Fi Calling for Business and Wi-Fi Calling for Government solutions. For the customer, the implementations are virtually the same with many of the features and functionality identical. The primary differences are the following:"
    "For the OEM, the software implementation provides more flexibility, easier in-the-field upgrades and cost effectiveness."
    "For the customer, the software implementation saves battery life as it turns off the cellular radio when on a Wi-Fi connection. When it does this, however, the device does not “seamlessly” hand off between cellular and Wi-Fi."

In other words, the new Bold 9900 will not employ hardware-based UMA for Wi-Fi calling, like the Bold 9700/9780 and other earlier Wi-Fi-calling-enabled BlackBerrys. Instead, it will use a Wi-Fi calling application, and as a result, the device will not be able to transfer calls initiated on a Wi-Fi network over to the cellular network, or vice-versa, like predecessor BlackBerry devices. This probably won’t be too much of an issue for most users, but heavy Wi-Fi calling users could certainly miss UMA and the network-to-network call handovers it enables."

Seems to be the same thing rebranded except hardware UMA is a better implementation that software Wifi Calling.. I suspect even if you use the T-Mobile software WiFi Calling option and keep the Mobile network also ticked it might switch to the mobile if wifi drops (I could be wrong).
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 12-30-11 at 09:20 AM.
    12-30-11 08:31 AM
    awesome. can you call/text/browse/bbm/etc at the same time?
    12-30-11 09:31 AM

I love TMO + BB!
    I see you turned your Mobile Network off. Let me know how it works with both the WiFi and Mobile Network on. With both of them on if you hit the menu key while on a contact you will see Call Using -> Mobile or WiFi.
    12-30-11 11:51 AM
    Very glad to hear that they decided to at least provide the WiFi calling application in the OS, though nothing can compare to the hardware in the old BBs. I will sorely miss the ability to start the conversation within the bounds of my home and continue it along my way to the destination. However rare this ocurrence may have been, the difference will be noticable.
    12-30-11 03:38 PM

I love TMO + BB!
    thanks for posting that screen shot. you may have just tipped the scales for me in my decision to go with a 9900...
    12-30-11 04:24 PM

Dude... Not so. If you are abroad (out of your own country) and use UMA or WiFi calling then you will not be charged roaming rates only use your local minutes. Calls will be recognized by as a US call by called number (eg your company's vmail system). This is a real cost saver for traveling "Dudes." With unlimited US service I have called back to the USA from all over the world for free. It is TMo's only real competitive advantage and it is better on the 9700 than on the 9900 for a chip gives better quality than s/w.
    12-31-11 12:11 AM
    so when are we getting the software update? i still have no mobile hotspot...
    12-31-11 12:46 AM
    This is my first Blackberry! It's only a Curve 8530 but I love it! But I need to get a better network than crappy Virgin Mobile! My Skype will not work!
    12-31-11 12:52 AM
    Uma on the 9700 better than 9900? Wow. I've called the states from asia with my old 9700 and it rocked.
    12-31-11 01:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD