Hi Guys,
    As a last resort (& before finally resorting to sending my device to the Service Centre) I have come to this forum.

My BB 9900 currently has OS 7.1 bundle 1646 (and whilst I am typing this message I am also downgrading my OS just in case that may help). Anyhow .... my messages are set to 180 days, and have been for the past 5 - 6 odd months getting auto removed from my device. I have 4 email IDs set up (2 of yahoo.com, 1 of yahoo.co.uk & 1 of work place - which is on the google). I am facing the problem on all these email boxes. My work email is also configured on Microsoft Outlook, and the setting of leave messages on server is set to an infinite date as google provides a minimum of 5GB storage.

Is this a problem many have faced? Is there a way out? Or is my OS corrupted? .... ps.... till about a year ago I had an 8520, with OS 6 .... but never ever faced such a problem and the same number of applications were loaded on that old device also.

Thanks
    Suman
    01-16-13 08:51 AM
    Messages may be auto-removed by the phone if the stored data gets close to filling the available storage within the device. Check your "Free Application Memory" and remember the storage is shared by all apps and their data - except media stored on SD card.
    suku0601 likes this.
    01-16-13 09:06 AM
    Thanks Branta .... the current available storage shows as 154 MB. .... what should i regularly be doing ? I try to remove cookies and browsing history every now and then, and I have removed all the unwanted languages. Cant think of anything else .... The only major apps i have are whatsapp, facebook, twitter, BB Travel, and a couple of others .... but not many.
    01-16-13 09:17 AM
    154Mbytes is well clear of the critical level, but keep a check on the numbers because a buggy application can eat it down over a period of days or weeks (usually described as a memory leak). Consider that you may have a problem if Free creeps consistently downward and the changes are not consistent with known data like incoming new messages. I don't know where panic level starts on a 9900 to initiate forced release of memory but I would be concerned if it dropped to 70MBytes (based on something eating 1/2 of what you report now). If it gets too low restart the phone (battery pull) and check again after reboot, this will release memory leaked by buggy apps and not recoverable by other methods so a big jump after restart indicates you might have application issues.

I have three suggestions. First, if you change anything in setup make sure you only change one thing at a time so you know how to un-break it. Second, re-check your mail purge settings (is it global or one for each mailbox?) Third, try to observe whether the deletion takes all mailboxes to the same date, or a spread of dates which might suggest it was size mediated rather than age driven.

That's about all I can suggest for now. You need to use your eyes and gather more details before anyone starts making wild guesses.
    01-16-13 10:53 AM
    Thanks again Branta .... I had on my own definitely done quite a bit of observations and R&D, but haven't yet tried keeping a look out if the app memory gets a big jump after restart .... but will do that in a few days time since it was only yesterday that I did a bit of clean-up also.

I've made a note of your suggestions. My mail purge settings is global, and the deletion usually takes all mailboxes to a spread of dates so I guess it is size mediated.
    01-17-13 12:16 AM
    Like this all blackberry phones leaks memory; you reset your phone, see 160mb empty space at the end of the day it becomes 10mb, only solution to solve this is to reset your phone.

So you might ask even deleting your sms, email, contact notes, history etc. memory still leaking so why in earth with which kind of idea phone deletes my personal things? (btw bb is actually supposed to be a business phone, where you may want to keep your emails and sms messages for year) About the question, yeah there is no answer for that, to understand we must meet and ask for soon bankrupt company owners.
    suku0601 likes this.
    01-18-13 03:41 PM
    I have never ever heard of any current-ish BB device purging messages when Application Memory runs low.
    Branta knows his stuff however, so maybe I've just never encountered this myself.

I would check how long you have set as the default for keeping messages.
    1. Open main Messages app.
    2. Click MENU key. (i.e. BB logo)
    3. Click O and select Options.
    4. Select 1st item, Message Display and Actions.
    5. Scroll to very bottom. Last item in Actions is Days To Keep Messages.
    6. Set to desired result.

If it was already set for a lengthy period, My next question would be whether or not you have set up any sync between your BB mailbox and anything else.

For monitoring app memory, you can find a few process monitors in App World.
    But try out RIM's own Application Resource Monitor too. It doesn't give you much (any) data back, but closes down open apps if they're a drain and tells you when it's done so. ARM is available in AW too. And if you already have it, AW might have a newer version.

I also use Meterberry, a resource monitor not available in AW. Look in CB's Apps Forum for info where to find it. BTW it's not free...
    suku0601 likes this.
    01-18-13 04:38 PM
    Elite1

Thanks for the info, I didn't know BB has such a function.

Does bb also have an option not to delete maps favorites? or contact notes?

One time I was looking for an office and meet agents for 1 week, all buildings was favorite on maps and out of nowhere, my bb decide to delete all.

Also keep deleting all my contact notes too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-19-13 02:42 AM
    [QUOTE=elite1;7866428
    I would check how long you have set as the default for keeping messages.
    1. Open main Messages app.
    2. Click MENU key. (i.e. BB logo)
    3. Click O and select Options.
    4. Select 1st item, Message Display and Actions.
    5. Scroll to very bottom. Last item in Actions is Days To Keep Messages.
    6. Set to desired result.

If it was already set for a lengthy period, My next question would be whether or not you have set up any sync between your BB mailbox and anything else.

[/QUOTE]

Back Again ..... In the number of days to keep messages I had initially set it to forever ... that was long ago ...... then set it to 180 days .... now its set to 120 days .... My work mail box is the one that I'd like to have messages stored for longer period, and even now its only storing for 30 days. And yes, this work mail box is synced to google mail which has about 25 GB space and I have not deleted / removed any messages from there.

Also, the memory leakage is bad, and i usually reset the phone every cpl of days to bring it back to over 140 mb. Whatsapp takes up a lot of memory, so I ensure to "exit" every now and then, and run the "memory cleaner" also a few times, although its also been set to run when the phone is idle for a period of time.

Guess I'll live with this for now, as I am looking forward to buy the Z10 or Q10 after a few months.
    03-19-13 09:59 AM